Shelf Life of YL oils

By request! This section is for discussion pertaining to the usage of aromatherapy.

Moderator: moogie

Shelf Life of YL oils

Postby ThatMassageGal on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:09 am

I am looking more into E.O. since taking my CEU class this year with YL. I have ordered the Start Living Kit with all their info, DVDs and 11 oils.

I ordered the 7th Heaven Kit 2 years ago, didnt use it much because I just didnt get into it. Are they still good today? Since I'll be using some oils seriously now, Id like to dig the 7th heaven kit out, but if they arent good anymore I wont bother, and I wouldnt want to use any rancid oils on any body! Thanks.
ThatMassageGal
Registered Member

Postby softhearted515 on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:33 pm

I may be wrong but pure essential oils can last for many many years. I have a 5 year old sandlewood that just gets better with age. BUT if it is blended with a base oil, that might shorten the shelf life.
softhearted515
Registered Member

Postby Seebs on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:13 pm

Some essential oils are good longer than others. I know for sure that citrus EO's (even of the purest quality) must be used within a certain period of time. Is it a year?
Seebs
Registered Member

Postby melb on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:47 pm

Yes, depends on the oil, doesn't matter how pure the oil is some EOs break down faster than others.
Seebs is right, citrus oils are the biggest concern, they oxidise faster than any of the other oils to form terpenes as skin irritant. They say they have a one year shelf life, but I like to use them up in 6 months. Also depends on the conditions they are stored in (even temp, lid on tightly). A half empty bottle of bitter orange with it's lid off stored in sunlight will oxidise faster than a full one in a cool cupboard with it's lid well sealed.

Wood EOs will usually last the longest - they're usually part of the tree's natural preservatives, so you would expect them to last longer.

So I ignore the expiry date on most wood and resin EOs, and am VERY cautious with citrus EOs. Other EOs, you can usually notice changes (colour/viscosity/aroma/etc) that will indicate they are have changed and may not have the same properties as the original bottle.
melb
Registered Member

Postby ThatMassageGal on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:15 am

Great to know! Thanks! They were stored in an EO case (a plastic traveling case with styrofoam and padding with little cut outs for the oil bottles) and in a cubbord, so very far from any light and in the cool part of the storage room so I am thinking they will be safe to use - minus the grapefruit! (that was one of my favorites too!!)

Thank you all!
ThatMassageGal
Registered Member

Postby oils4abundance on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:09 pm

My bottle of YL "Release" that I lost track of for a few years is still just as potent as the day I bought it. I think that was 7 years ago.
I am an enthusiastic lover of Young Living Oils and their other products! They have revolutionized my practice and I am making it my goal to educate and train others who wish to join my team!
oils4abundance
Fresh Hands

Return to Aromatherapy