Aromatherapy and pregnancy

By request! This section is for discussion pertaining to the usage of aromatherapy.

Moderator: moogie

Aromatherapy and pregnancy

Postby rosealfanso on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:24 pm

During pregnancy, everything you eat and put on your skin filters through to your baby.
Essential oils can have a powerful effect on our bodies. Some essential oils contain plant hormones, while others strongly affect the central nervous system, which makes them unsafe for use during pregnancy. There are many different opinions regarding which essential oils are safe for pregnancy and which are not.

Avoid using these essential oils on your skin at any time during pregnancy: Basil, Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Cypress, Fennel, Geranium, Jasmine, Lemongrass, Marjoram, Peppermint, Rosemary, Rosewood, Sage and Thyme.
Always use a Legal Incense during Aromatherapy.
rosealfanso
Fresh Hands

Re: Aromatherapy and pregnancy

Postby maestra on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:15 am

Rose, welcome to BWOL. I'm in your 'hood... NE Wisconsin. Nice to have another BWOL member in my area!
As for aromatherapy and pregnancy, I have to say if the woman really wants aromatherapy I usually suggest a little bit of lavender or a citrus like lemon or lime.
But I like to steer pregnant women away from aromatherapy, because you never know when a scent that used to be their favorite will suddenly make them ill.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby rosealfanso on Sat May 05, 2012 2:05 am

Thanks maestra, i am glad to be here.. :grin:

I agree, during pregnancy its better to stay away from aromatherapy, but i have heard that aromatherapy helps you to enjoy a calm, relaxed and pregnancy. For example take the one you mentioned Lavender, its an multipurpose oil that relieves pain, relaxes the body and mind.
rosealfanso
Fresh Hands

Postby Dragonflies on Sun May 06, 2012 3:42 am

rosealfanso wrote:Avoid using these essential oils on your skin at any time during pregnancy: Basil, Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Cypress, Fennel, Geranium, Jasmine, Lemongrass, Marjoram, Peppermint, Rosemary, Rosewood, Sage and Thyme.

Don't forget these oils still act on the body through the limbic system (smell) so it doesn't have to be just a topical application!
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby rosealfanso on Mon May 07, 2012 12:30 am

Yes i agree, the smell is absorbed by the mucous membranes of the nose and moves directly to the center of our brain, where it influences our emotions, hormones, our nervous system and our perceptions.
rosealfanso
Fresh Hands

Return to Aromatherapy