Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia

Discussion of Myofascial Release techniques, both generic and modality specific.

Moderators: MarionFM, WaltFritz

ALMT
Registered Member
Location: Frederick, MD and West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle

Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia

Post by ALMT » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:24 pm

Long shot I know, but I had a client yesterday with Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia (ATN), which she's suffered from since 1991. She says she has tried everything to lessen the incredible pain (apparently the most painful condition one can have), except massage. She wanted to know if I do craniosacral massage, which I don't. I said I really had no idea if it would be helpful, but I offered her MFR.

We spent 30 minutes doing MFR on the face (and scalp, which I had to abandon since MFR didn't seem to work well through hair, so I did simple scalp massage). I don't think it helped much, but I told her I'd ask around to see if anyone had feedback or advice.

I also told her I'm unsure if her two brain surgeries might contraindicate craniosacral, as she has had two rods put in her brain through the top of her right skull, with a power cord under the skin that goes down her neck to a battery. The other brain surgery left a little hole in the left posterior inferior skull. She also had several facial bone surgeries before she was diagnosed with ATN.

Anyone have any thoughts about various forms of massage and ATN?
Marlene (say "Mar-lay-nuh")
Frederick Massage Therapy in Maryland
Web: http://FrederickMassageTherapy.com/
FB: http://www.facebook.com/frederickmassage

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia

Post by pueppi » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:29 pm

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Return to “MFR Techniques”