How to protect yourself against allegations...

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

bodyworkbiz
Fresh Hands

How to protect yourself against allegations...

Post by bodyworkbiz » Mon May 07, 2007 6:56 am

Hi there! I'm wondering if anyone could share their experiences with me.

I'm working on a course called "Personal Safety for Massage Professionals". It's largely based on a female perspective of how to protect yourself against male clients.

But I want to make sure the male perspective is addressed as well. That is, how do male clients protect themselves against allegations of inappropriate conduct by female clients?

Has anyone had allegations made against them? What were you able to do about it? How did you protect yourself? What lessons have you learned from the experience? And how does that change the way you run your practice now? Do you have any suggestions for other male therapists?

I'd love to hear your experiences and thoughts on this issue. You can reply to this post or simply send me a private message.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Cheers,

Eric Brown, Director
www.bodyworkbiz.com
Get your free Pregnancy Massage Guide at http://www.bodyworkbiz.com/recommend.php

jasond
Registered Member

Post by jasond » Tue May 08, 2007 8:44 am

One thing I have all of my clients do is Rate themselves on a scale of one to ten on State of well being before the session, then after the sesssion. I also have them rate the quality of todays experience on a one to ten scale.

The ideal being if the numbers are high its unlikely that anything happened inappropriate during thte session. And no fortunately never any allegations of misconduct. :D

Jason
Release your Spirit through Bodywork

melb
Registered Member

Post by melb » Tue May 08, 2007 6:56 pm

There are only one page of posts in this section and quite a few of them are about this subject, check out the ones where the title includes stinkerhead or inappropriate for a start.

fey
Registered Member

Post by fey » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:08 pm

When I was in a shiatsu techniques class I noticed that most of the female students would go out of their way to not be my partner for practice.
Now Im not male, but I am open about liking other women.
I actually become verbal about this point since no one would be my partner. The teacher eventually told me that a female student had aprouched him and said that I was "making inapproprate touch" suffice it to say I was suprised by this fact.
a female student had later approuched me and said essencially the same thing even though I tried to explain myself it didnt help me.
Eventually the class ended and I didnt see most of those women again, although it was still a tramatic experience for me as well as the person.

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”