one spa's idea...

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

melb
Registered Member

one spa's idea...

Post by melb » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:56 pm

on getting more work for their male therapist(s) Beyond Wrapture Day Spa in Canada offers......

Chun-Tzu Yin Yang Tandem Massage
“This massage gives us the opportunity to introduce (in a safe environment) our male practitioners to our female (& male) clients who are still uncomfortable with same sex or opposite sex practitioners. Scheduling these men for more massages also helps alleviate the demand placed on our female practitioners,” says Debra Pender. For this massage treatment, a male practitioner works on the ‘female’ side of the client’s body and a female practitioner works on the ‘male’ side of the body. After a relaxing sauna, this 45-minute Tandem Massage provides clients with an incredible experience that leaves the body energized and balanced, with their minds relaxed and spirits ready to soar. The Tandem Massage can also be performed by two female practitioners, upon request.

Shannon
Registered Member

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:11 pm

I am sorry but ....huh???
Whats the female side and what is the male side? That is something I never learned.

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Post by Rose of Sharon » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:32 pm

I'm female on both sides.....but I love giving and receiving tandem massage, and I don't care if the MTs are males, females, or one of each. I would question having the male MT specifically massage my female side, though.....

I'm lost, but just had to chime in so I don't miss the answer! ;)
Sharon

Shannon
Registered Member

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:34 pm

Thank you Sharon,least I am not alone...cause I am female on both sides too!! lol

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Post by Rose of Sharon » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:38 pm

Well, I checked with Maestra, and she said the left side is female and the right side is male.

I didn't pay enough attention in the yin and yang parts of class. :oops:
Sharon

melb
Registered Member

Post by melb » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:40 pm

male side is the right side, female the left, according to lots of eastern/alternative philosophies, right side is the father, left side is the mother, pain on the left is mother isses, etc etc you can take it as far as you want/ignore it. then there is the female front, male back of the body, I think it is more balance than literal gender related, but the right side is usually stronger, the front is usually softer.
I've had quite a few massages from only females, only males and male/female tandem massage, though not sticking to one specific side. I prefer the mixed, it does balanace out energies quite differently.

Shannon
Registered Member

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:52 pm

HMMM interesting, You learn something new everyday!!

I think if I got a tandem massage that would be one time I would actually shut up receiving a massage. If I were able to find a place around me that did that I definitly would do it!

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Post by Rose of Sharon » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:56 pm

Thanks, Mel. I vaguely remember this. I was much more enthralled in the kinesiology than in the eastern philosophy classes!
Sharon

melb
Registered Member

Post by melb » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:19 pm

Shannon wrote:I think if I got a tandem massage that would be one time I would actually shut up receiving a massage.
it is sensory overload compared to a single therapist, you can try following who is doing which leg for a while, but it quickly becomes too confusing and you just give up and melt into the table :) So yes, trying to have a conversation during it it pretty well impossible :)
A tandem massage is often shorter than a normal massage to keep the price down, and really 30min can be just as relaxing as 60min for the confused brain. It's often called mirror massage or fourhand massage, this was actually the first time I'd seen it called tandem massage, but it's a good name for it.

It's an interesting marketing idea for male/female therapists.

StephenCMT
Registered Member

Post by StephenCMT » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:58 pm

It's funny. The last spa I worked for, Tandem Massage tanked. People thought it was too wierd and gave them that "threesome" feeling. *rolls eyes* LOL But, just an hour up the road in a wealthy town on the water I had already done Tandem with another MT to success years before. Go figure. :)

Couples Massage has always been great for opening the minds of clients who are a little wary as far as gender preference goes. Significant others want to treat eachother and, believe it or not, there are some clientele that are scared of having females touch them...even men! Not to mention a girl giving her girlfriend a gift and getting the courage to open her mind to gender preference at her friend's urging. The drawback...and I HATE this (LOL)...is when a female client drags her man into a spa for his first massage and it's a couples, but is too jealous to let him have a female therapist. I've had to massage many a poor guy sticking it out to please his GF or Wife. Give a shout to the men who really WILL do anything for ya, ladies! ;)
Stephen Hartswick, CMT
Massage By Stephen
http://www.massagebystephen.de

RMT2007
Fresh Hands

Post by RMT2007 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:22 pm

I am actually a current employee of Beyond Wrapture and a 3rd year student of the Massage Therapy program in BC. The tandem massage is short but phenomenal! If its your first massage...ever....it takes a few minutes to settle in and get used to four strong hands massaging you, but it does get overwhelming and almost everyone ends up sleeping. It is a good marketing idea too, to do the massage this way and encourage people to have a male practitioner, because they really do get bypassed...but I think the main point of the massage is lost on the selling of it...over the phone when clients inquire about it, I rarely hear anybody mention the energy factor (male/female energies) I think if they did, clients would understand the purpose and actually go for it, but we still get a lot of requests for two females. Anyways, that's my spiel.

IntuitiveHealers
Registered Member

Post by IntuitiveHealers » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:39 pm

I feel very imbalanced when someone works only half of my body.

My partner and I do synergistic tandem treatments and honestly I have to say the idea as outlined in the OP seems odd and disjointed.

I really do not like having a 4 handed massage where each therapist works only one side of my body. When I have had such a thing in learning environments it fels off-kilter and not at all balanced.

Part of the beauty of the work my partner and I do together stems in part from us each working EVERY part of the body in our own way, addressing issues as they arise with our own individual approach. Sometimes I will work an area first to 'prep' it for him to go more deeply and then go back to it later to 're calibrate' it energetically and finish off with more 'closing strokes' for instance. Sometimes the opposite is true.

We each have areas we focus on more-for instance, I tend to work the feet more in terms of reflexology whereas he does more Thai stretches and PJM. I do more work on the face (in part because his hands and fingers are so large that is isn't practical to do otherwise due to him being nearly 7 feet tall) but he also will give attention and energy to that part of the body as well.

Lending male and female energy to each area feels best, in my opinion and my clients agree.
Blessings and Be well!

RMT2007
Fresh Hands

Post by RMT2007 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:12 pm

I agree completely, that's an excellent way of doing a tandem massage. But to say that only one half of the client's body gets massaged in the tandem we do at work, isn't quite accurate. The pressure is the same from both practitioners, the strokes are identical and timed perfectly (its all swedish strokes) but the back gets done all at once, the arms at the same time, the legs at the same time, client rolls over, legs again at the same time, but one practitioner does the abdomen while the other is still and then the other does the face while the other is still. I may just be misunderstanding your interpretation, but i just wanted to clarify that its not one half then other, its completely balanced. And it is a very quick treatment as well.

Am I just confused?? :P Probably

IntuitiveHealers
Registered Member

Post by IntuitiveHealers » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:26 pm

RMT2007 wrote:I agree completely, that's an excellent way of doing a tandem massage. But to say that only one half of the client's body gets massaged in the tandem we do at work, isn't quite accurate. The pressure is the same from both practitioners, the strokes are identical and timed perfectly (its all swedish strokes) but the back gets done all at once, the arms at the same time, the legs at the same time, client rolls over, legs again at the same time, but one practitioner does the abdomen while the other is still and then the other does the face while the other is still. I may just be misunderstanding your interpretation, but i just wanted to clarify that its not one half then other, its completely balanced. And it is a very quick treatment as well.

Am I just confused?? :P Probably
I was referencing the OP when I was saying what I did about each half of the body...but what I said applies to any massage where 1/2 the body (or assorted parts :) ) is worked on by one therapist and not the other while the other 1/2 is being worked by the other therapist. (Who's on first? :lol: )

What you described sounds like the standard 'tandem' treatment but I still say that there is no way for the strokes and pressure to be 'identical' and 'completely balanced'. I even had a standard tandem like that from identical twins that was not 'exact'! So, what I am saying is that my partner and I (so in synch) and identical twins (also very much in synch with identical training) aren't exactly the same in our approaches and I have never experienced a treatment with 2 therapists that felt balanced if it was 'choreographed' to attempt to be 'balanced' (I mean, what if one therapist finds an area that needs working, but the other therapist is follwoing a 'routine' and has moved on to the next choreographed move? The idea is just too gimmicky for me as opposed to nurturingly therapeutic).

To be specific, I have had treatments where I felt like my one hand got what it needed and the other didn't due to variation in the therapist's approach, technique, energy, pressure etc. and so I feel like these treatments aren't as balanced as they could be at all.

I hope that makes my earlier statements more clear :D
Blessings and Be well!

Samantha
Registered Member

Post by Samantha » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:46 am

What you described sounds like the standard 'tandem' treatment but I still say that there is no way for the strokes and pressure to be 'identical' and 'completely balanced'.
I agree with Intuitive Healers. I had a tandem massage once by two female therapists who were about the same size and who had gone through massage school together. It felt wonderful. But each girl still had developed her own style and amount of pressure used, etc. At the time, I didn't consider whether I felt off balance. But after hearing Intuitive Healer's method of doing tandem massage, with each area being treated by both therapists, it sounds absolutely delicious. If I had a choice between different versions of tandem massages, I'd choose this one. And I especially like the idea of a female and a male therapist. It sounds so balancing to get the combination.

Samantha

hawaiianhealing
Fresh Hands

Post by hawaiianhealing » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:28 pm

I've done tandem massages and I have also done 3 & 4 person massages in Hawaii. (droll worthy if done correctly, weird if not)

I love giving and receiving tandem massage, but it takes two people who know what they are doing and can be around the same pressure. I knew of females twins in Montana that did, perhaps they still do tandem massages.

It takes a special therapist to be able to move with the other therapist and be able to take turns "leading" the massage.
"We believe that learning the art of massage is first and foremost a journey of exploration into your own self."

Timedess
Registered Member

Post by Timedess » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:07 pm

It's been suggested that hubby and I consider offering tandem massage. I don't know if it would "go over" as smoothly as we'd like. I don't know if we'd even be able to do a couple's massage as smoothly as we'd like. Haven't had opportunity to try yet.
~Renee

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”