Do male therapists work deeper?

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

Levi
Fresh Hands

Do male therapists work deeper?

Post by Levi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:39 am

This is an issue that keeps coming up as I grow in the practice of massage. I do not buy the concept and believe it to be a massage myth because I have had plentiful experience with female therapists who can effectively work thru layers of soft tissue with ease. On the other hand, it is a challenge for me that still needs work and study. My approach so far is to learn anatomy, particularly enervation pathways and systems, work slower, and repeat over areas that will not loosen up on a first pass.

I am sure this forum has already discussed adequately this issue, but I suck at researching threads. Any remarks or pointers to resources on this issue will be appreciated. I am particularly interested in modalities and experts for the field on this subject.

JLWmassage

Re: Do male therapists work deeper?

Post by JLWmassage » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:05 am

As a female MT I work deep all the time and I am small framed about 5'4" 120lbs . And I have worked on quite a few large male clients that never thought I could go deep.

A large part of what I practice is Hellerwork style of myofasical release and that seems to make a big difference in my abilities to "go deep"

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:26 pm

I used to be very popular for being a male that could use "bone-deep" levels of pressure. If your psoas needed work, I'd reach right in there and show it who was boss. :twisted: In that stage of my career, I nearly fit the stereotype.

Since then, I have learned a great deal more, and have recognized that "bone-deep" pressure is pretty much never, ever necessary. Though I can always employ more pressure as desired, it is rarely, if ever, needed... especially with painful conditions. The most pressure I use is when I am doing relaxation work on a relatively healthy body.

Ironically, the lighter-pressure work I use most often now has a more profound and lasting positive impact than the aggressive style I was once known for. The work "deeper" is misleading, but I roll with it because that's one of the marketing buzzwords known to the public. I just re-educate them and they are hooked. :D

I need a new tag line that expresses my current approach more effectively...
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

sportmassage
Fresh Hands

Post by sportmassage » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:56 pm

I am a male therapist and am somewhat big compared to most therapists people see (i'm 5'9" 220). People often make hints before the treatment that they don't want me to use my full pressure because they don't want to be hurt. They are usually surprised with how I work, don't get me wrong though, if deep intense work is needed I have no problems with it.

truepeacenik
Registered Member

Post by truepeacenik » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:20 am

This is where it would help if the whole world knew the difference between pressure and deep tissue techniques!
Some of the best light work I've ever had has been at the hands of male therapists.

jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by jdcan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:38 pm

truepeacenik wrote:This is where it would help if the whole world knew the difference between pressure and deep tissue techniques!
Some of the best light work I've ever had has been at the hands of male therapists.
I agree! I try to explain the difference between deep Swedish and Deep Tissue. Doesn't always get through when so many other mts think it means push hard. :(

truepeacenik
Registered Member

Post by truepeacenik » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:44 am

Ah.. Here is a client script. (Mind you, small female, working at a spa)

"I see you booked deep tissue. Are you having a particular issue you want addressed, or do you simply like harder pressure? (Notice harder, not deep, to a client) (if needed...) Deep Tissue is actually a technique used to get into all layers of the muscles."

Simple, accurate enough for the moment (I'll explain more if asked), and gets me the answers I need.

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”