Resources in getting clientele as a male practitioner

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

massagestudent
Fresh Hands

Resources in getting clientele as a male practitioner

Post by massagestudent » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:17 pm

I am still trying to build up clientele and all i have for resources in getting clientele is through online chat. Are there any other resources out there that i can use besides online chat? I am unable to afford in getting a web site right now.

Thank you,

John

merlescuz
Retired Moderator

Post by merlescuz » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:29 pm

John,

I think if you browse around this site, you'll find all kinds of discussions about marketing, from free chair massage to volunteering at sporting events... both don't cost you anything but the effort to get there...to leaving biz cards at places where potential clients might be. Other health professionals, chiro's, health clubs can all be mined for clients.

We just did a project for biz class where we had to assemble a referral list. It involved contacting several complementary services (like chiro, acupuncture, other mt's even) and asking them about including them on the list. Not all were for it, but the ones who were will most likely refer back to me at some point, assuming I bring clients to them and keep in touch.

Check out some marketing websites for ideas. There are plenty of ways to sell yourself and your services. It can be scary at first, but once you do it a bit and see that it works, you'll be well on your way.

Good luck!
"Luck is a matter of preparation meeting oppurtunity"
Oprah Winfrey

www.turtledancebodywork.com

massagestudent
Fresh Hands

Post by massagestudent » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:28 pm

I have been leaving biz cards, and I even put in an ad in a friend's newsletter for his townhouse association, but so far no one had called or emailed me about my services. I haven't tried going to a chiro, a health club, or anything like that. I even try to rebook the clients that I do get at school, but they do not come back to me or even schedule another appointment with me. I do not know if I am doing a good enough technique for them to come back. I will try a few of the suggestions to market myself. I will be taking the business course in spring semester and that might help as well.

Thank you for some suggestions,

John

CaringHandsMss
Retired Moderator

Post by CaringHandsMss » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:09 pm

Be Encouraged massagestudent,

Building up a list of clientele, at times, can seem to drag.

:!: Be Persistent and Purposeful :!:

Sometimes it just takes time. I read a Massage book written by a Male MT that said it can take up to 2 years to build up a clientele list. Be Encouraged : Things will start looking up.

Maybe check with some of those places You stated You have not as of yet.

Also, Don't be too hard on Yourself: being in school still is a development time: It is a time to develop technique, style, decide the direction You want to puruse, to learn Anatomy and all...don't allow Yourself to be SOOO hard on Yourself while still in school.

Sincerely,
CaringHandsMss :)

maestra
Site Admin

Post by maestra » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:52 pm

I heard of one male MT who turned what many male therapists see as a handicap into one of his strengths.
He started marketing himself to other MTs ... working primarily when other MTs were done for the day... and often even going to do the massage at their office. He'd often learn new skills from these MTs too. So within a short period of time he gained skills and confidence by working with a wide variety of other therapist with a wide variety of techniques and modalities.
By becoming part of the other MTs networks, he'd often get referrals from them as well!
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

palpable
Registered Member

Post by palpable » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:53 pm

Great idea Maestra. I love working on other MTs- I find that to be a great source of constructive feedback.
And, of course, they already know the importance of bodywork :wink:
Anyone wanna schedule a session? :lol: :lol:
Move on as quickly as you can to people who get you and what you do. -Robert Chute

seekingequanimity
Registered Member

Post by seekingequanimity » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:57 am

I agree with Nancy's post..................associate yourself with a few other massage therapists.
I recommend specifically a few female therapists, who can refer any clients to you that are looking for a male therapist. Every once in awhile I get calls for a male therapist, and I have a male associate I refer to. And I know he has given my number to a few people wanting a female therapist.
Also, make relationships with people that do different modalities than you, to refer clients back and forth..........or let's say you do outcalls and someone else doesn't, that therapist can refer calls for outcalls to you, and you can refer calls for incalls to them, or different modalities.

Noel

BlackSwanMassage
Registered Member

Post by BlackSwanMassage » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:08 am

I don't know if this will help or not, but while I was in school, I had a conversation with my (male) instructor about potential roadblocks to a solid clientele for a male therapist.

Now, bear in mind that, as I posted elsewhere, he and I are both ex-soldiers, so he knows whereof he speaks.

I our cases, because of our background, it was more pronounced, but it could apply to anyone.

Ever since I returned home from the Army, I have walked differently. I stride, with my shoulders leading the way. It's ingrained in you from Basic Training onward, and it's hard to get rid of.

It's also very intimidating. I used to like that fact, until it came time to become an LMT. He took the time to point out to me that it may be a liability. He said that it was an issue for him as well, and he had to take months consciously learning how to walk in a non-threatening manner. I have been trying, myself, and it's extremely difficult, because I find myself reverting back to old habits in times of stress (like now!)

The reason I bring this up is that, as males, we sometimeshave some very masculine attributes (deep voice, aggressive stride, standoff-ish stance) that can turn people off when it comes to selecting an LMT.

I don't know if this applies to any of the other males on this forum, but I thought it mightbe worth considering, and seeing if it might apply to anyone else out there who's having some client-building troubles.
Nemo liber est qui corpori servit.

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:35 pm

I wouldn't build a web site until you are ready to graduate and assume a professional practice. Use your time now to develop the rudiments of service, a professional demeanor, appropriate draping and language, knowledge of anatomy and physiology, ability to develop a treatment plan, massage technique and ability to flow, and confidence in yourself.

Look closely at yourself from a third-party perspective and consider what you could do better. This is much easier if you have a few top-notch role models that you would like to emulate. This did wonders for me. Sometimes I consider a question/suggestion once posed in class: "What kind of therapist would you refer your grandma to? Be that kind of therapist."

If you work on MTs, ask them to give you constructive feedback on how you can improve, not just what they already like. This can be on anything from your personal hygiene, professionalism, body mechanics, whatever. It may be easier if you provide some kind of basic feedback form. My school provided one for us to use with EVERY practice client, and it was very helpful!

Personally, I ignore the "potential roadblocks" and simply work on educating potential clients about how I might help them. Once people feel my work, many return and/or refer others. Ultimately, your skill and professionalism will win the day if you persist. It took about 4 months for me to establish a solid client base at the business where I am employed. If I was working for myself, it would take longer.

There are lots of backwards-thinking people out there, but plenty more are willing to see a male therapist if he is professional and able to get the job done.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

lukem77
Fresh Hands

building up clientele

Post by lukem77 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:27 am

Hi John,
My main advice regarding building up clientele as a male practitioner is to just act and work with integrity and believe in yourself. This really does rub off, and people will pick up on the fact that you're a professional right away.

As far as not affording a webpage goes, there are free tools out there. I've created one called Massage Hub where you can create a profile that you can use as your webpage. You can also register it in a quality search engine for free. I'm sure there are others out there too.

Good luck,
Luke.

renauddv
Registered Member

Post by renauddv » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:26 am

There is no exact formula here, and everyone has a different marketing situation and area. Here are top 10 of things that have worked for me.

#1 Word of mouth - This is by far the most significant source of clients. Reward those clients that pass on a referral. Every referral from a client gets a 1hr gift certificate. This is generous, but sometimes they re-gift it to a 2nd new client. I have a few that have done this.
Let your work speak for itself for these clients. Do a little extra. Also go the extra mile for the new client to honor the referral. It will pay in the long run. I have one lady that is a constant source of clients, and I've only seen her once... a one session, "all fixed" client.

#2 Donate gift certificates to charity auctions. Those that get them are another opportunity to build W.O.M. referrals (#1).

#3 Get a chair (if you don't have one). Set up at local shops etc. I've done a local salon (1 free session to staff at slow times or after close - helps get in the door) I also have setup at a local barber shop and golf course... not as many chair sessions, but lots of advice. Ergo etc.

#4 Pair with a compatible business - My wife and I also operate a yoga studio. Offer to set up chair at their open house, etc.

#5 Offer to speak at local service club meeting.

#6 Dress professional - neat, clean, pressed, etc.

#7 Market to other therapists - trade or for pay. Also try offering couples services with another therapist.

#8 Get info into MDs offices, etc. - a good hello package with referral cards.

#9 Offer to speak at local church or seniors group meeting - free

#10 BNI, Chamber of Commerce, or other networking group.

My web generates little new clients, but does serve existing clients, and as an info. source for referrals, and new callers.

Darren
(Freezing in the North)

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”