Best body hair length (if any) for the easiest massage

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

kevray
Fresh Hands

Best body hair length (if any) for the easiest massage

Post by kevray » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:16 am

Hello, I am beginning massage therapy school in January. I've never been in the habit of removing body hair, although I occasionally use a buzzer to trim my chest, legs, arms, etc. Is there an ideal body hair length in order to make massage easiest? I would imagine the shorter, the better. More importantly, a length that will make learning easier for my fellow students? Perhaps this question is totally irrelevant. I won't know that until I start school but I just want to check. I would shave completely, but those of you who have already seen my previous post know that I am about 50 lbs overweight and even though other members here have made me feel almost 100% better about that issue, I feel that shaving body hair completely will only draw more attention to that feature and that I don't want to do lol. Thank you in advance for any help, suggestions, and advice! :D

Rozax
Registered Member

Re: Best body hair length (if any) for the easiest massage

Post by Rozax » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:26 am

Ironically, I gave up shaving my legs shortly before starting massage school. Not for the first time, I was in a mood to complain about my bristly legs, and not for the first time, my husband (newly married) suggested I just stop ("Cuddling with a cactus does nothing for me"). Take it from a woman; I've been much happier since I quit.

Now, if this were a case of being male and removing hair because you want to, that would be one thing. Don't worry about altering yourself for the class. As therapists, we work with all different body types, so it's better not to create a false environment for the classroom. If any of your classmates complain about your body hair, they're in for a world of hurt if they start practicing professionally. Just love yourself and everything else will fall into place. :smt001
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org

JLWmassage

Post by JLWmassage » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:47 am

You need to be mindful of shaving or waxing body hair because when it goes back it can cause tiny cuts on the therapist hands that is working on you. I find this to be more of an issue with me for male clients because their hair tend to be courser. And from years of doing massages my hands are super soft, but delicate to course hair.

And the body hair that is growing back has given me a rash on my hands

Rozax
Registered Member

Post by Rozax » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:00 am

JLWmassage wrote:And the body hair that is growing back has given me a rash on my hands
I've had this problem, too! Mostly from women's legs, but I've had a few male clients who've waxed their chest and back. The first time I ran into this, my hands burned for a few days. This was actually one of the very first matters I posted to this forum when I joined, but everyone was suggesting that maybe I needed to use a different lotion or oil. With a couple year's experience under my belt, I've yet to find a lotion, oil, or cream that can protect against whisker burn.
poem-massage.org

peacenut
Registered Member

Post by peacenut » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:13 am

Don't do it. Once you start you will always have to do it. Men tend to have courser body hair than women, so when it starts growing it gets very prickly. I would rather work on a man with a lot of hair rather than a hair man who shaved everything off and has a body full of stubble.
I'd let you watch, I would invite you, but the queens we use would not excite you.

JaeMarie

Post by JaeMarie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:58 pm

I addition to what others have said, keep in mind that your clients will have body hair of varying amounts, textures, and thicknesses in areas that may not have crossed your mind. How better to prepare to deal with these issues than to practice on someone in massage school?

Remember - this is a time and place for you and your classmates to learn. There is no "perfect model" to practice massage on as there are no "perfect client" bodies to be on your table day to day. What you might be seeing as a negative issue, is more than likely a learning opportunity.

truepeacenik
Registered Member

Post by truepeacenik » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

The length of my body hair has no impact upon the massage I give. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I worked with a body builder with stubble and men and women with hairy legs. It is all about an amount of lubricant, and type to a degree.

I did have raw moments after full body sessions, but my hands got used to it.

Be more aware of your fingernail length.

Matt
Registered Member

Post by Matt » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:42 am

The majority of my clients are male and I have massaged many hairy guys. It has only been an issue one time. I had a client that was so hairy that his hair was literally 2 inches long. Keep in mind that this seems to be the exception, as I have never encoutered anyone with body hair this long before him. I just kept applying more gel and this seemed to help the process.
I know some male therapists that shave their arms. I am not sure why, as I have never had anyone complain about my arm hair. My suggestion is to just go as you are and not worry about it. You will soon bond with all of your classmates in school. Just have fun!

squash_blsm

Post by squash_blsm » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:29 pm

I don't mind my guys who regularly wax - I love seeing them a couple of days after they get it done!

Hate the guys who shave body hair- their stubble is always uncomfortable for my hands no matter where they are in their growth cycle.

Don't mind hair too much - except the ones with longer coarse hair...my hands have actually gotten numb and sore (probably would have been better to wear gloves for protection).
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Let the hair grow as it will.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

Rozax
Registered Member

Post by Rozax » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:37 am

JasonE wrote:Let the hair grow as it will.
That's pretty much the best way to put it.
I also found my original post relating to this topic: Dealing with stubble burn. Not meaning to shoot anyone down, but I'm 100% sure that my technique and choice of lubrication were not the cause of irritation.
poem-massage.org

truepeacenik
Registered Member

Post by truepeacenik » Fri May 25, 2012 2:09 pm

Rozax wrote:
I also found my original post relating to this topic: Dealing with stubble burn. Not meaning to shoot anyone down, but I'm 100% sure that my technique and choice of lubrication were not the cause of irritation.
So, what did you change?
I don't notice body stubble anymore, but I'm still curious.
And what lubricant helps with stubbly folk?

Rozax
Registered Member

Post by Rozax » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:11 pm

truepeacenik wrote:
Rozax wrote:
So, what did you change?
I don't notice body stubble anymore, but I'm still curious.
And what lubricant helps with stubbly folk?
Every once in a while, stubble still irritates my hands, so I guess it's just a special length that we can't watch out for. To treat my skin afterward, I just use my preferred lotion and avoid extreme water temperatures. It also helps to use gloves while washing dishes.
poem-massage.org

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”