Male Practitioners, Canada, esp BC, ON

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

ahp
Fresh Hands

Male Practitioners, Canada, esp BC, ON

Post by ahp » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:49 pm

Curious about male practitioners who aren't registered, any that actually are making a living? (question applies most to BC and ON Canada where the profession is regulated along the lines of RMT / non RMT, but also curious about male practitioners in general) thanks

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Re: Male Practitioners, Canada, esp BC, ON

Post by JasonE » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:08 pm

ahp wrote:Curious about male practitioners who aren't registered, any that actually are making a living? (question applies most to BC and ON Canada where the profession is regulated along the lines of RMT / non RMT, but also curious about male practitioners in general) thanks
I'm not in Canada, but I am a male MT, know many other male MTs, and employ several of them in a large multitherapist practice. What are you curious about?
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

ahp
Fresh Hands

Post by ahp » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:53 pm

Not sure how it works in Minnesota, but in my jurisdiction there are "registered massage therapists" (RMT) who have done standardized training, have passed board exams, and belong to the regulating professional organization. They are recognized by insurance providers and so their services are covered by insurance plans. I'm sure the great majority of male *RMTs* are making a living, and some a good living (I am very curious so please join the discussion if you fit this description!). What I am asking is if there are any NON registered male practitioners out there who are actually making a living.

Plus, I always heard that being registered was basically a meal ticket, $70,000+ annual income guaranteed sort of thing, but I am getting the sense that there are a lot of RMTs, especially male, who are struggling. This is essentially what is stopping me from getting regsitered: spending $20,000+ on tuition plus 2 years+ living expenses during full time school and then not being busy at the end is NOT AN OPTION.

thank you for sharing your experience, it is a great help for me.

athletica
Registered Member

Post by athletica » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:58 pm

I'm from Winnipeg. I always thought it was the norm for therapist to complete 2200hr program. Any clinic in Winnipeg requires therapist to complete a 2yr program. Most new patients ask whether our therapist are "registered".
As a male in the profession it took me approximately 4 months to obtain a full patient list (30-40hr per week consistently).
Being a male in the profession I do think has its advantages. Most patient believe I can deliver more pressure - but actually most of the female therapist at my clinic provide deeper pressure. But I let the patient believe what they want.

To make $70,000 you need to be working a lot, unless you have therapist working for you.

ahp
Fresh Hands

Post by ahp » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks, good to hear your story. 2200 hours is the norm for "therapists", but there are those of us who do massage as "professionals" or "practitioners" and not "therapists". Our massages might look very similar, but we have not gone through the standardized 2200 hr. training and thus we are not "registered". I do believe there is a niche for us: we can provide massage at a lower rate when insurance coverage is not available, for example.

athletica
Registered Member

Post by athletica » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:02 pm

Interesting. If anything continuing your education allows you to take more advanced courses and expand on your skill set.

I often wonder what will happen to the canadian massage landscape if a massage envy or one of the US franchises were to push there way into Canada. I had thought there were was a massage envy in Toronto but I don't see anything on their site.

athletica
Registered Member

Post by athletica » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:45 am

As well without being registered you have no liability insurance.

ahp
Fresh Hands

Post by ahp » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:53 pm

yeah, I would take rmt training just to learn as much as possible about massage...there is great american backrub in toronto...you can get liability insurance as a "holistic practitioner" if you are doing non-registered massage.

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”