Aftershave

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

Yan
Fresh Hands

Aftershave

Post by Yan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:28 am

Question to those of you who shave in the morning (on the day you will be working that is) - as oppose to those who shave at night or carry facial hair and don't shave at all - do you use scent free aftershave (if yes which one please), no aftershave (my current approach), or use regular scented one (and let your clients enjoy the fumes)? Thanks!

EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Re: Aftershave

Post by EgoMagickian » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:21 am

No aftershave. If I did, I would choose unscented or at the very least essential oils only (no fragrance oil).

If a massage therapist subjected me to "fumes" of any kind (which includes fragrance) I would not go back.

GreenDragonfly

Post by GreenDragonfly » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:45 am

EgoMagickian wrote:No aftershave. If I did, I would choose unscented or at the very least essential oils only (no fragrance oil).

If a massage therapist subjected me to "fumes" of any kind (which includes fragrance) I would not go back.
As a client, I don't mind getting an occasional whiff of a cologne, but some people wear WAYY too much perfume!

On a few occasions I have even smelled like another persons perfume just by being in the room with them. Can you imagine smelling like someones perfume just by being in the general area, not even touching them? :shocked: At least this wasn't in a massage room, but still, that is overkill.
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!

WaltFritz

Post by WaltFritz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:32 am

My rather blunt opinion on this topic is that I would rather smell aftershave or cologne rather than some of the smells that clients often come in with!
Walt Fritz, PT Pain Relief Center, Rochester, NY
http://www.myofascialresource.com
For therapists: MFRmail Newsletter (patient focused newsletter also available)
Foundations in Myofascial Release Seminars
Myofascial Release Mentoring Program

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:17 am

No aftershave. I've never experienced any benefit from using it, and discontinued use with no ill effects years ago.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

Timedess
Registered Member

Post by Timedess » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:16 am

JasonE wrote:No aftershave. I've never experienced any benefit from using it, and discontinued use with no ill effects years ago.
Speaking for my husband: same as Jason.
~Renee

MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by MarionFM » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:19 pm

I am very sensitive to almost any kind of perfume so I dread it if a client, male or female, comes in heavily perfumed. I have managed to cut out inhalers for many years now by avoiding my triggers for asthma.

JLWmassage

Post by JLWmassage » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:07 am

This raises another question for me. Whats do you do when you have a client that comes in heavily scented?

tranquilspirit2006
Registered Member

Post by tranquilspirit2006 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:14 am

JLWmassage wrote:This raises another question for me. Whats do you do when you have a client that comes in heavily scented?
Oh ugh. I do not like perfumes and most aftershaves of ANY sort. They give me a headache, esp. when the wearer has bathed in the stuff. I don't do anything, just bear it, but I don't like working over someone for an hour that is heavily scented. Ick.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know."

Timedess
Registered Member

Post by Timedess » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:08 am

JLWmassage wrote:This raises another question for me. Whats do you do when you have a client that comes in heavily scented?
There was a member of this site, a long time ago (I think they're still a member, but I haven't seen a post from them in *ages*, whose web site had a "preparing for your massage"-type list. On it, they asked for folks NOT to come in with perfume, cologne, or other heavily-scented .... stuff (lotion, etc.); and even mentioned taking a shower prior to coming in "if possible" (and maybe something about not wearing makeup if possible, as well). I am seriously considering adopting this (put far more succinctly, of course-- it's early for us; we had to get up in the middle of the night to rescue some freshly-painted furniture from the "unpredicted", heavy thunderstorm that woke us up without warning).

As far as when folks do come in heavily scented, I find that a salt lamp kept ON at all times during working hours goes pretty far. I'm also about to invest in some misting waterfall-thingies that are supposed to clean/ionize the air. Not sure how well they'll do, but they're pretty enough to try it anyway, haha!
~Renee

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”