Franchise Experiences

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

stingray41
Fresh Hands

Franchise Experiences

Post by stingray41 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Hey Guys, I start at Massage Heights part time on Thursday. I haven't found much at all about experiences that thereapists have working there. I was just curious if anyone has had any experience there, and any other franchise for that matter.

The location I'll be working at seems to be run really well. All of the management are LMT's so they take care of the therapists, 1 hr breaks after 3 massages in a row, food on the weekends and really making sure you don't over work so you don't burn yourself out. I'm really looking forward to get started, even if I am a little nervous. But it's new and once I get the hang of how it's run, it won't be that big of a deal.

I'm newly licensed and this will be my first experience as a massage therapist, so hopefully it goes well.

Any insight would be great!

Thanks,
Ray

cabwy
Registered Member

Re: Franchise Experiences

Post by cabwy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:41 pm

Hi Ray, I have no experience with this Franchise, I just wanted to wish you luck on your first day. I like the sound of the managers being LMT themselves and that you get regular breaks. Please let us know how it's going after your first week?
Carol

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:19 am

Congrats on the job.
stingray41 wrote:All of the management are LMT's so they take care of the therapists, 1 hr breaks after 3 massages in a row, food on the weekends and really making sure you don't over work so you don't burn yourself out.
Neither of us are MTs, but we take care of our therapists as well - mandatory 1 hour meal break each day, never more than 3 hours of massage in a row (and that is with 30 minute breaks between sessions...). What you are describing is good management, not insight derived from being an MT.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"

cabwy
Registered Member

Post by cabwy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:38 am

R and R, what kind of research went into your decisions for these above mentioned breaks? Did you talk to massage therapists or was this a decision based solely on management protocol? It sounds like you have a really good thing going for your employees, sadly the chiropractor that I worked for years ago --who should have known better-- could never understand why I would insist on a 15 minute break in between clients!!
Carol

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:09 pm

cabwy wrote:R and R, what kind of research went into your decisions for these above mentioned breaks? Did you talk to massage therapists or was this a decision based solely on management protocol?
Just made sense
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"

stingray41
Fresh Hands

Post by stingray41 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:46 am

Thanks for the responses. My first day was kind of a bummer. I didn't have a client. I had a friend come in the next day for a 2 hour massage, so that helped.

Alot has happened since I posted this. I have been given the opportunity to rent out some massage office space from a lmt I've developed a professional relationship with. I'll be using her space on the weekends and monday evenings. This will allow me to work for myself build up my own clientele, what I initially wanted to do out of school.

I'm also transferring Massage Heights offices to a location that's closer to my current full time job. This will give me the opportunity to work the same ammount of hours there as I was at the other location, and I won't have to work Saturdays to do so, giving me more time to devote to my own practice. Thanks again for the comments and R&R, you're right, it is just good managment.

massagetrainee
Fresh Hands

Post by massagetrainee » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:50 pm

Scuse my ignorance but what does the L stand for in LMT?

Pete
Retired Site Admin

Post by Pete » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:06 am

massagetrainee wrote:Scuse my ignorance but what does the L stand for in LMT?
LIcensed

handsofeye
Fresh Hands

Post by handsofeye » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:01 pm

I formerly worked at a franchise not going to say the name of it but I really did not like it at all

it was run just like a factory and had nothing to do with quality of massage at all it was just a business and thye reminded me of it often it was all about making sure the client didn't complain and that you were following protocol

I will never work at a franchise again it really made me not enjoy working as a LMT towards the end I was dreading going to work eveyday working for little pay allot of stress and no freedom

I was regularly scheduled an 7 hour shift with only a 15 minute break and a half hour for lunch

almost all the other therapists didn't like it either and it was just allot of complaining from the management to the receptionists to the therapists

I think corporate massage places and franchises should stay the hell away from massage and healing

Massagynist
Fresh Hands

Post by Massagynist » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:57 pm

I work for ME and I enjoy it. They are all independently run for the most part, so the quality of management really varies based on where you work. I set me schedule and they follow it 95% of the time. I don't have to worry about anything outside of massage (no misc tasks) and I am gaurenteed clients. I could definitley stand to be paid more...but I also see it as a stepping stone and a FANTASTIC place to gain experience and confidence.

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”