Building Clientele as a Male

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

stingray41
Fresh Hands

Building Clientele as a Male

Post by stingray41 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:00 am

Hi guys, I have a question. I have about 2 and a half months of school left. Once I've passed my licensing exam and receive my license, I plan on going on my own part time until I can build up enough clientele to warrant giving up my job and going full time as a therapist. My question is how long does it usually take a male therapist to build up a pretty steady clentele? I knew going into school that I would have a harder time being male, but I'm seeing that where I live, the Houston, TX area, that not as many people are hung up on the gender of their therapist. They want someone who can provide a good service. I was just curious of the challenges ya'll have faced in building your clientele. Any feedback would be great!

Thanks,
Ray

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Re: Building Clientele as a Male

Post by JasonE » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:01 pm

A lot depends on how effectively you connect with people so that they give you a chance, and of those how many you can rebook. Some guys just never figure those out, and fail despite good technical skills. Marketing and relationships are important to building a stable long-term practice.

It is realistic to assume a minimum of 4 months to 2 years of regular practice before you have the level of clientele needed to support yourself with massage alone. If you obtain a salaried or other paid position where much of the marketing/clientele-building is done for you, it may be easier.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”