Should I do Massage Therapy training?

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

bellerphon
Fresh Hands

Should I do Massage Therapy training?

Post by bellerphon » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:38 pm

I am a 56 year old male. I am single and straight. I live in Melbourne , Australia. I would love to work as a Massage Therapist. Is it worth paying for a training course for a person of my age? would i be able to get a job anywhere because of my age?
Kind regards,
bellerphon

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Re: Should I do Massage Therapy training?

Post by JasonE » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:02 pm

In the USA, average age of people entering the field of massage therapy is 41-44 years. I have MTs working for me that are in their 50s and 60s. Your age is far less important than your personality, massage skills, and professionalism.

Marital status and sexual orientation are completely irrelevant.

Don't let your fears stop you from pursuing professional training in a career you are passionate about! :)
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

cabwy
Registered Member

Post by cabwy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi bellerphon!!

So,, you are interested in massahge therapy as a career?? I don't think age has much to do with it. I was 48 when I started my schooling for massage therapy and it has been a great beginning of an awesome practice...oh, and I will be 55 in January!!
Don't assume that you would only be wanting to be hired by someone else... this is a great field that can go in many different directions..
including having your own practice. Or sharing a practice with another therapist.
Carol

michelleclark
Fresh Hands

Post by michelleclark » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Age doesn't matter to learn anything. Massage therapy is a great field that can go in many different directions.

Spa and massage in Koh Samui

Levi
Fresh Hands

Post by Levi » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:16 am

Hi Bellerphon.
I can't speak to work or training in Australia. But I did train for and enter the field of massage last year at the age of 61. If you are still fit, it is probably easier for a male with some maturity in this field because clients assume that you are good/experienced at massage and not operating under any impure motives or agenda. Just be prepared to deliver on those assumptions. Just like any massage therapist, male female old young straight otherwise, if your massage work is poor/ordinary, you will not last long.

rwhoski
Fresh Hands

Post by rwhoski » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:06 pm

I've never worked for someone else as a massage therapist, but I do know there is plenty of room for a male practitioner if you work for yourself.

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”