Cool experience the other day!

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Cool experience the other day!

Post by JasonE » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:59 pm

One of our regular clients has been coming to us for years, and she has a favorite MT. A while back she and I chatted about one of her daughters that was having some back pain.

This past Sunday, she came in to see her favorite MT, and booked her daughter to see me. That was flattering enough, but then I learned the girl is a minor and had never had a real massage before! When they arrived, the mom said she was impressed with our prior conversation and felt her daughter would be in good hands with me. :D

I had the mom sit in during the intake discussion, and was fully prepared for the daughter to be too nervous to go through with it. But then I was calm and reassuring and professional, and the girl seemed to be okay with it after all, especially when informed she could keep her undies on. ;)

Wouldn't you know it? Her pecs and glutes needed the most work. :shock: What a brave young lady! Of course, I was extremely proactive about telling her what I was about to do, and why, and so forth. :lol:

Long story short, it was a very nice session. The young lady kept her eyes open most of the time, so we had a nice conversation and I got to teach her a few fun things. She enjoyed the work and felt much better afterward, and was very receptive to suggestions for preventing a recurrence of her symptoms.

Her mom was very happy with the results, too, and she'll bring her daughter back for followups as needed. It was great to have a mother see past the gender thing and focus on what her daughter needed. It was an honor and privilege to be a young girl's first MT, to give her a positive experience that will hopefully help her avoid picking up some of the biases expressed by others.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

maestra
Site Admin

Post by maestra » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:36 am

Congratulations Jason. Sounds like you had a really good rapport both with the mother and with the daughter. Communication and intent seemed to be key in helping this situation turn out well for all parties involved.
And discovering the power of massage at such a young age, it will probably become more a part of her health care, and less about "pampering."
I hope she books again soon! ;)
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Post by EgoMagickian » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:53 pm

Beautiful story, thanks for sharing it.

bassio
Fresh Hands

Re: Cool experience the other day!

Post by bassio » Fri May 29, 2009 7:08 am

It's awesome you were able to contribute to a positive first experience. Great job!!
Timescape Therapeutic Massage - Cincinnati Massage Therapist

AnastasiaB
Registered Member

Re: Cool experience the other day!

Post by AnastasiaB » Fri May 29, 2009 7:22 am

:smt038 :smt026 :smt041 :massage: Great story! Thanks for sharing.
Anastasia B

Be who you are and say what you feel, because people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind. - Theodore S. Geisel - [Dr. Seuss][

www.mymassageworks.embarqspace.com

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”