Zen Shiatsu

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

starspirit35
Fresh Hands

Zen Shiatsu

Post by starspirit35 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Hello everyone! I waned to get some feedback/advice for any Zen Shiatsu practitioners out there. I graduated from the Boulder College of Massage Therapy a year and a half ago. I have been working for employers that whole time and have decided to get a regular job while I build my own practice. I love doing Zen Shiatsu and and trying to figure out how to market that to the public. I know know most people expect swedish or deep tissue massage (which is great for the therapists that do that work), but how can I help people to understand the benefits of Zen Shiatsu? Thanks!!

Blessings,

Nick

maestra
Site Admin

Post by maestra » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:07 pm

Since you have addressed this in the male practitioner's perspective section of the forum... I will address that part of the issue here.

First of all welcome to BWOL Nick. (Starspirit35) One of my MT school instructors was a graduate of Boulder College of MT... I loved the Zen Shiatsu intensive in school and think it's an awesome modality!

And I've taken CE from Clint Chandler who I believe worked @ Boulder College of MT for many years.

You have SOME of the same challenges as the rest of the males on the forum. Read thru this section to find out what particular issues our other male forum members face. We have some great guys on the board and I think you will find them ready to share their concerns and victories.

While some clients may be leery of having a massage from a male practitioner, one of the pluses of Zen Shiatsu as I recall, is that the client stays clothed. And I remember my instructor saying that often the face is covered with a cloth when the tsubo points on the face are worked as well.

Because the client stays clothed, this should make many potential clients feel even more at ease with you. A calm and comfortable practitioner will go a long way towards making potential clients feel they're in capable hands.

I look forward to hearing more about your "journey" Nick!
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”