Two more strikes against us

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

cstbrian
Registered Member

Two more strikes against us

Post by cstbrian » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:47 am

Here's two news stories that came to me in my alerts on the same day.

Massage Therapist convicted of rape

Massage Therapist admits setting up camera in dressing room

Right now I am so aggravated and annoyed that all I can say is "AARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!" and "*&$^*&*%@!#%)&%$" :irked:
Brian

"Life isn't about finding yourself ... life is about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
"When we try to control that which is out of our control, we become an incredibly anxiety prone society." Dr. John Upledger

naturalhealing
Registered Member

Post by naturalhealing » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:27 am

Oh no!! There are unethical people in every profession, but that is a bummer.

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:14 am

FYI

Michigan is an unregulated state

FL really dropped the ball on the 2nd story -- he had multiple prior felony convictions yet was issued a massage license by the state. Either he omitted that from his application (easy to do when you ask the applicant to disclose vs. requiring they submit to a background check) or they decided he had paid his debt to society and had changed his evil ways.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"

amyisms
Registered Member

Post by amyisms » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:21 am

So sorry guys. I'm sick of hearing it too, just like te women who claim to be MT's and offer "extras" andmen out there think we all do then.

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Post by Rose of Sharon » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:16 am

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:FYI

Michigan is an unregulated state

FL really dropped the ball on the 2nd story -- he had multiple prior felony convictions yet was issued a massage license by the state. Either he omitted that from his application (easy to do when you ask the applicant to disclose vs. requiring they submit to a background check) or they decided he had paid his debt to society and had changed his evil ways.
I'm not sure why being an unregulated state matters - it happened in a massage school, so it wasn't a case of someone hanging a shingle and practicing massage with no training. Actually, it highlights why regulating massage isn't the answer. He broke already-written laws and was caught and charged. That is a major argument against more regulation in the industry - what they want to regulate is already against the law.

The other story says that the guy has a history of five previous non-felony convictions. I'm not sure if a background check covers those? I had a background check done but haven't ever had so much as a speeding ticket, so I wasn't concerned enough to find out what would be discovered about a person.
Sharon

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:53 am

Rose of Sharon wrote:

I'm not sure why being an unregulated state matters - it happened in a massage school, so it wasn't a case of someone hanging a shingle and practicing massage with no training. Actually, it highlights why regulating massage isn't the answer.
In an unregulated state ANYONE can be a MT or run a school to provide training for an unregulated activity.

This jerk is not a member of a "profession" -- making him qualify to give massages and teach massages -- probably would have weeded him out and forced him to find a different way to get his twisted jollies.
Rose of Sharon wrote:
The other story says that the guy has a history of five previous non-felony convictions.
Re-read the article. They were most certainly felonies. They were non-violent felonies, including narcotics and theft.
Rose of Sharon wrote: I'm not sure if a background check covers those?
Sadly, many state regs only look for violent felonies and sex crimes. A housekeeper at a hotel cannot get a job with a rap sheet with theft and drug crimes, and as I have argued in other posts, neither should an MT.

When someone is in a vulernable position (naked and face down certainly qualifies in my book) I think there is an over-riding public interest in knowing who is in the room with them.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Post by Rose of Sharon » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:26 am

You're right, it says non-violent.
Sharon

maestra
Site Admin

Re: Two more strikes against us

Post by maestra » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:46 am

cstbrian wrote:Here's two news stories that came to me in my alerts on the same day.
Case #1:
Well, I don't quite get it. While in one part of the article it claims he's a MT, in another part it says he was doing physical therapy.
It actually says, " for physical therapy for back injuries..."
So, which is it? Because it sounds to me like the person who wrote the article might not have been as careful with the actual facts as they should have been.

Case #2:
Sounds like the guy was definitely crossing boundaries with students anyway, surprised it took them that long to catch him!
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

Flooge
Fresh Hands

Post by Flooge » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:01 pm

Nah, just 2 more strikes against folks that don't belong in this biz.

Bob
Fresh Hands

I hear you

Post by Bob » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:58 am

It would probably be a good idea to have criminal background checks as part of licensing by a state....it might weed out the predators.....
Bob

NC_kneader
Retired Moderator

Post by NC_kneader » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:50 am

Flooge wrote:Nah, just 2 more strikes against folks that don't belong in this biz.

:iagree: It doesn't effect "us" unless we let it.

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”