Promoting male MT

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

akdragonfly
Fresh Hands

Promoting male MT

Post by akdragonfly » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:22 pm

I have a male MT as a business partner. He is a great guy personality wise, and a very good therapist. But we notice a big difference in demand for a female therapist versus a male therapist. I would like some ideas on how to promote the advantages of a male therapist, and I hoping some of you have some suggestions that have worked for you.
Thanks!
Life is a journey, not a destination.

moogie
Site Admin

Post by moogie » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:33 pm

On thing that can help is if he can do something that you can't or perhaps does better than you do. For instance, if he does a particular modality that you don't....he does Thai or Shiatsu or MFR or sports or whatever. Or that he is capable of working much deeper. Or he has experience working with a certain injury.

That way when someone calls looking for something specific, you can say "I recommend that you book with "Joe" as he's the therapist that specializes in that modality" or something to that effect.

What are his strong points? Capitilize on those.

Angie

akdragonfly
Fresh Hands

Post by akdragonfly » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:41 am

Angie, thanks for your response.
Highlighting his strong points is good, but in our advertising we tend to do that to a good degree. You have given me an idea in that direction, however!
I was thinking maybe someone has some creative ideas about how to promote the idea of trying a male therapist, or addressing that initial "but I want a female" response.
We want to start tandem massage, but each request ends when they find out one of the therapists is a male.
I would hate not to mention it, and have a client uncomfortable or even refuse, at the last minute.
Some folks are dead set against a male (or female, at times!). I am not targeting them, but the ones that might consider a change, if we could find some good reasons for them to try it.
Life is a journey, not a destination.

softhearted515
Registered Member

Post by softhearted515 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:53 am

How about couples massage? Can you set up 2 tables in one room? I know a married couple that do lots of couple massage on other married ppl.

Otherwise I think HE has to get out there and market himself. Clients are more prone to see a male MT if they have previously met and feel comfortable with them. I know that is how I came to seeing any and ALL male MT's I see to this day.

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”