Article in ABMP magazine

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

Gaspen
Registered Member

Post by Gaspen » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:05 pm

First and foremost, whatever the client requires as far as a male vs female therapist is okay by me. It's not me on the table. If I'm able to educate a client as the perceived strengths and limitations of male vs female therapists, I do so (for ex: male therapists have greater strength and can therefore perform deep tissue work 'better' - we all know this is bs).

I'm a male therapist. When I see a client, I see a person in need of massage therapy be it therapeutic or relaxation or a combination. Even when I'm not in a clinic setting, I'm often running possible treatment scenarious for people I see on the street, riding the bus, etc. (I did this intially while in school and have toned it down somewhat. But it's kinda always there.)

When I intially read the article, I was on the bus. I was so upset at what I was reading. (In fact, as I snapping the pages and breathing heavily and maybe turning red in the face, I may have been given a few scared looks from fellow busriders.) I couldn't believe the words that were falling off the page. I couldn't read it through in one sitting. While there were points worth exploring, I believed (and still believe) that the author used quotes that supported her opinion; excluding others that might have leveled the 'article' out. Then I got even more upset; realizing that people outside the profession would take the talking points as gospel and never look at the alternatives. It's like "if it's in print, it must be true!"

As a side note:
While I enjoy the challenges working on a specific problem, I also enjoy the 'fluff and buff' type of work. However, I also inform clients that, everything else being equal, once a body is worked on for roughly 20 minutes or so, the body automatically enters into the PNS and will naturally enter into a relaxed state. And for people who regularly receive work, the time is often shortened.

Sorry for the long post. I'm glad I was able to finally get this off my chest. I'd mentioned this to a few therapists at work and even shared the article with those who hadn't read it. I wanted to see if it was just me. It wasn't. My fellow therapists were upset as well, maybe not as much as I.
Glad ta meetcha...I'm your handy man.
www.SpencerMassage.com

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”