Just not right

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

Silver Hawk
Fresh Hands

Just not right

Post by Silver Hawk » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:57 am

I have had several job interviews lately, only to find out the place (mostly spas or hotels) are looking for female therapist. I don't have a problem with that just tell me upfront so you don't waste both our time. Anyone have a good way of getting these places to at least consider you.

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:04 am

I know of at least two Four Seasons who have full time Male MT's.

But, many of the guests do request females, and so they keep about a three to one ratio in the ones I know of.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

maestra
Site Admin

Post by maestra » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:38 am

Hm, ever consider doing couple's massage with another MT?

I work in a small spa with 3 other MTs. And couple's massage seems to be a big deal in my area at the moment. If you can pair with some female therapists (either those with their own private practices who may have the occasional need for an "extra pair of hands" you might pick up some business that way. Or if you find someone you work similarly too, you could try "Tandem" massage. One of my MT teachers actually liked pairing a female and a male for a tandem massage as she said it was neat to feel both the yin & yang energies of the MTs involved. *shrug* I think tandem usually takes a bit of practice, but it's a more rare service to see offered.

A couple weeks back one of my clients said, "Oh, that young man at the front desk is he a Massage Therapist too?"
"No ma'am, that's the owner's son." :lol:
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Post by Rose of Sharon » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:55 am

You are right, there is something very wrong with them wasting your time when they know they won't hire you. How are these interviews arranged? Maybe when initially sending your resume, there could be a line on the cover letter saying, ".....male MT...." so they wouldn't call you if it is their practice to only hire females?

Though I still don't know how it is legal to discriminate on the basis of gender.........
Sharon

JaeMarie

Post by JaeMarie » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:02 pm

Though I still don't know how it is legal to discriminate on the basis of gender.........
Which is my guess why he's getting dragged through the interviews anyway. To tell someone up front that they're the wrong sex for the position they're looking to fill, and that they won't be bothering with an interview would (I'm guessing) be a quick trip to a law suit. By going through the formalities of interviewing males and females, I'm guessing covers their butts.

JaeMarie

Post by JaeMarie » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:12 pm

Which is my guess why he's getting dragged through the interviews anyway. To tell someone up front that they're the wrong gender for the position they're looking to fill, and that they won't be bothering with an interview would (I'm guessing) be a quick trip to a law suit. By going through the formalities of interviewing males and females, I'm guessing covers their rears.

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Post by Rose of Sharon » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:44 pm

JaeMarie wrote:
Which is my guess why he's getting dragged through the interviews anyway. To tell someone up front that they're the wrong gender for the position they're looking to fill, and that they won't be bothering with an interview would (I'm guessing) be a quick trip to a law suit. By going through the formalities of interviewing males and females, I'm guessing covers their rears.
Well, probably, but they just uncovered them again when letting him know at the END that they are looking for females. If I were a guy, I'd be MORE inclined to sue (if I were the suing type) for compounding the insult by wasting my time too, than if they just discriminated against me for my gender. Evidently they get by with it, though. We certainly hear about it often enough on here.
Sharon

moogie
Site Admin

Post by moogie » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:38 am

Rose of Sharon wrote:Well, probably, but they just uncovered them again when letting him know at the END that they are looking for females.
The ones who are calling him in for an interview just to cya would never tell him at the end that they are only looking for female therapists. They would simply thank him for his time and say something like "we still have a few more interviews to do.....we'll get back to you if we need to speak to you further" or blah, blah, blah to that effect.

If they are telling him at the end of the massage that they are only looking for female therapists they 1) wasted his time and 2) do open themselves up for a lawsuit.

Angie

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Post by Rose of Sharon » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:49 am

I agree, Moogie, that most places would probably fake it at the end. It sounds from the OP, though, that they are letting him know they are looking for females. We've heard it before here, too. Some don't seem to even know there are laws, others know and don't care. When we hear about the more intelligent ones that do the CYA procedures, it comes off sounding like whining or paranoia. Probably sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. :lol:
Sharon

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:14 am

There's a LOT of idiots trying to run businesses that have a massage component, when they have NO CLUE about the field, especially about the money-making potential of male therapists.

My girlfriend was the receptionist for a local upscale massage business. The owner had no experience in massage but DID have a bias against male therapists (for unknown reasons). She actually provided a script to read when a caller requested a male therapist -> a script that basically just directed the caller to select "an available opening with one of our female therapists."

Note that the wording suggests a male therapist may be on staff, but is simply not available.

Upon graduating from my studies, I submitted a resume to this business to see what would happen. My girlfriend (without revealing our relationship) had told her employer about "an excellent male therapist" that was looking for work. Since they were having trouble getting applicants, it seemed like I would have a decent shot at it. I DID get a telephone call, but never a face-to-face meeting. Barely a week after the initial call, I received a voice mail stating they had "hired another excellent therapist but we will keep your information on file."

Of course, they had hired no one. And did not find anyone else for two more months.

I would have turned down any offer from this place, just to turn the tables for once. I already had my eye on another position, which I DID get. :)

The place I am at now is owned and run by a woman that has worked as a therapist for over 20 years, and she has often said that male therapists are in high demand at all times. We get TONS of requests for male therapists, and I am nearly always booked SOLID. Some of my clients are booking weeks in advance to make sure they get the time slots that work best for them.

Best advice I can give: avoid working for idiots who just don't get it. Find a business owner who understands the profession and your enormous money-making potential. You'll have a MUCH better experience.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

sillypup
Registered Member

Post by sillypup » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:57 pm

It's not right that males get discriminated but it exist and we have to live with it. What's even worst is that we therapist get used for personal massages rather then being interviewed seriously. more so for males than females. there are many places doing that. I just left working for a place due to wanting a different environment and different opinion on how things are ran and i'm going through the same thing looking for another place to work at. I agree with JasonE's advice. look for a place that supports therapist rather then their own pockets. find a win/win situation. most spa owners are looking at money jumping on the bandwagon, that's why there are so many turnovers. I see so many spas hiring throughout the year, they don't know how to run a massage business, it's trial and error for them. I'm starting my own practice next year. I know I have the skill due to track record of 40%+ returns at the spa i worked at. I was the name brand in that neighborhood. Clients told me. Now I just have to deal with the discrimination with the city laws putting massage therapist in prostitution category which makes it way hard to open own practice in SF without huge moola since they want 1000ft distance from another practice. that's about 3 blocks. kinda hard to find a small location with lots of traffic if most hotels have a spa in them. other alternative? home base massage. I know most work illegally but i'm not going that route. this is my lifestyle career not just another job. Also another suggestion is to do verbal interview first rather than the practical. discuss position, offer and interview the interviewer to see if you want to work for the person. reverse the interview. why should they hire you? why do practical if the offer isn't to your liking? many times i've done interview to find out they won't pay me enough. 25-30% isn't worth it as a contractor when they charge clients a bundle.

EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Post by EgoMagickian » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:53 am

Do your homework, network, talk to other MTs... find out which spas hire males, which may be experiencing a shortage of male MTs and looking to hire more, etc.

[email protected]
Registered Member

Re: Just not right

Post by [email protected] » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:02 am

I know it has been a long time since this post, but I wanted to chime in and say if you are still looking for a new job, try finding spas that possibly already have a male therapist on staff. That way you know that they would hire one at least! You could always offer to give a demo after your intial interview and if the spa seems hesitant, ask them to base their decision on your bodywork, not your gender. I prefer to be judged by how I give massage, not my my age, race or sex (all of which count against me it seems!)
"The best pioneers are the ones actually out the doing massage. They get devotees just from having put their hands on them. That's what keeps the field alive and moving."
~Tiffany Fields

tranquilspirit2006
Registered Member

Post by tranquilspirit2006 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:46 pm

I know it's been awhile since this was posted but wanted to put in something. The owner of the shop I work at has worked with 3 male therapists over the 9 years she's been doing massage. One she rented a room with, the other two have been ICs in her shop. There aren't a lot of men in this area that go into this field. The one she rented with told her later that he has 'fooled around' with his female clients. One guy was a really nice guy but just not motivated, didn't really do much self-promotion, and didn't stay in massage long (he had a FT day job). The last-whom I also worked with and regarded as a mentor- removed the sheet totally from our nail tech's mom during her massage and left her totally nude the entire time. She was by herself with him in the building (she just never thought about being alone with him since she'd known him for years) and she was scared to say anything. He was let go the next day.

After that, she just said she didn't think she'd hire a male again. She has nothing against them, she trades with male MTs and knows they can do a great job, but knowing what her old partner does and what our male MT did, she just worries about a lawsuit against the business she has so carefully built up over the years. It's unfortunate for any male MT that might come along and be a great fit, but her feelings stem from her experience with other MTs, not an ingrained bias against men.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know."

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:01 pm

Wow, I'd forgotten all about posting on this thread!

Now that I'm the employer, it's interesting to be on the other side of the hiring process. I have to say that it is extraordinarily satisfying to hire a good male MT. When they get their first repeat client (by the client's request!), it is a proud moment. :D

Unfortunately, it is harder than I had expected to find truly good male MTs whose goals and schedules make a good fit with our business. Ultimately, we hire the best MTs we can find and help them start building a clientele. It does take longer for our males to build a solid base of repeat business, but those who feel their work are usually convinced!
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”