The worst experiences I have had as a male MT

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

handsofeye
Fresh Hands

Re: The worst experiences I have had as a male MT

Post by handsofeye » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:07 pm

it is a very sensitive subject that everyone needs to find thier own personal balance with taking each day at a time

biermasseuse
Fresh Hands

Post by biermasseuse » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:47 pm

Greetings everyone. I'm new here and this will be my first post. I may not be here often but I'll read when I can. As a male MT I've experienced discrimination first hand. My female co-therapists consistently got twice more work than me and it turned out it was not so much for their skill (which was good) it was purely because they were female. I only wish that I had ten dollars for every time I heard from my own clients, "You'd think they'd want a guy because they're stronger" or "What difference does it make?" Our receptionists have even shared some of the snide comments they've heard when they'd ask "We have [name of female] and [my name] at that time."

I tried not to take it personally at first but after 4 years of this I do. I'm sorry some people are insecure, or have been tramatized, but you know what? I never raped or molested anyone. To me it's like being prejudiced to black people just because a black man mugged you. When that happens they call it racism. When I have trouble making my bills because people act like Hank Hill when they find out I'm male [he'd go "BWAAAAAAHH!!"] I take it no more personally than a when black man is called the N word. [that was sarcasm intended to show that I really do get offended]

I've never had anyone walk out on me. Having my name mentioned kind of makes that clear, and I don't have a unisex name. But my worst experience was last week when this 27 year-old ditz made an appointment with me at the clinic where I used to work. In the interview (and she had been here before) she went on about she had just broke up from a 7-year relationship and had to move back home, and is now working three jobs etc. I asked, "Ok but what can I do for you?" I'm not THAT kind of therapist after all. Long story short, she kept moving the whole time. Kept fighting with me when ever I'd tried to do any MFR, denied the pressure being too much, and pretty much made it impossible for me to do my job. It was very clear that she was insecure about me being a male. I came close to stopping and asking her point blank if my being male was an issue for her, and if so why did she waste her time and money and my time. It was no wonder her boyfriend broke up with her because I couldn't stand her either.

Folks I'm sorry if I'm coming off like a jerk. You can't read inflection after all. These are just my frustrations in an industry that I love.

HealingMassageUT
Fresh Hands

Re: experiences

Post by HealingMassageUT » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:51 pm

hawaiianhealing wrote:I have been a Below is a quote from a long time massage school in california and I believe the field of massage therapy, clients and therapists themselves would be quite well served by the statement.

"We believe that learning the art of massage is first and foremost a journey of exploration into your own self. Before you can respectfully enter the intimate arena of physical contact with another human being you must first explore accept and understand your own world."
What a FANTASTIC quote. Is there any chance you can offer the specific source or some sort of link to it?

Thanks!
Darin
[color=#004080]Have compassion for all, even if they don't want it. What seems conceit, bad manners, or cynicism is always a sign of things no others have seen or heard. You do not know what wars are going on down where the spirit meets the bone.[/color]

HealingMassageUT
Fresh Hands

Post by HealingMassageUT » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:32 pm

Found the answer to my own question. In case anyone else is wondering:

WE ARE THE MASSAGE SCHOOL OF SANTA MONICA , a family owned massage school. The school is owned and operated by Bernadette Gessner and her son and daughter Maryse and Karl.

In 1967, Roland Bouffard (below), with a dream and less than $1,000.00 founded the Santa Monica branch of the Los Angeles College of Massage and Physical Therapy (which itself was founded in the 1930's) The school was small and spare. One room. One table. One teacher. And in all of 1967, only one graduate student.

In 1974, Bernadette Gessner, Roland's sister, took over. Bernadette's vision was to expand upon the quality of the education, to move the curriculum beyond the narrow purposes of basic palpatory literacy and the outmoded apprentice system that had formerly existed. With her innovative concept, in 1979 Bernadette launched a pioneering venture. The Massage School of Santa Monica became the only school in Santa Monica, and went from one graduating student a year to hundreds.
Now, thirty years and well over ten thousand graduate students later, Bernadette’s original inspiration continues to guide our school. We are committed to quality, value, innovation, well-being, trust and joy. As the demand for massage therapy has flourished, our school has grown into a totally independent campus and curriculum in the heart of the San Fernando Valley.

With the growth of interest in alternative healing, we have begun to rediscover the importance of massage and the specific part holistic, intuitive touch can play in making a difference in our world. Towards that end, the Massage School of Santa Monica continues to offer its classic Massage Therapist Course and hundred of hours advanced, innovative Continuing Education Workshops.

Since the Massage School of Santa Monica maintains a small family-based office staff, we can offer individual assistance in creating a program that fits your personality and needs. You can be assured that all our classes/workshops have been granted California Course Approval and are taught under the strictest standards of quality by L.A.’s most experienced staff of senior instructors (with over 150 years of teaching and over 200 years of hands-on practice). Our purpose is to enhance both your image and your success by teaching you a very positive and personal way to give to your clients.

The Massage School of Santa Monica believes that learning the art of massage is first and foremost a journey of exploration into your own self. Before you can respectfully enter the intimate arena of physical contact with another human being... you must first explore, accept and understand you own world.

-Bernadette, Maryse and Karl Gessner
http://www.massageschoolsantamonica.com/origins.htm
[color=#004080]Have compassion for all, even if they don't want it. What seems conceit, bad manners, or cynicism is always a sign of things no others have seen or heard. You do not know what wars are going on down where the spirit meets the bone.[/color]

Return to “Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective”