New too!!

Introduce yourself; tell us your birthday; become a part of our community!

Moderator: GreenDragonfly

New too!!

Postby 2ndxsachrm on Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:32 pm

Hey! I'm new to this forum... I'm actually here to get peoples thoughts on my most recent lifestyle change... I graduated from my massage program back in 02 and did massage for about a year but I was young and stupid on MANY levels and left the profession for nannying, and decided to go back to school to get my bachelors in psychology but recently I have been pulled back into massage for its great healing abilities and think that thats where my future lays... the problem is I live in a state that requires the NCETMB which is fine I can study my butt off for that, I do feel that I am a bit rusty massage techniques wise and wondered what everyone thought would be the best way to re-acclimate myself to the profession... any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!!
2ndxsachrm
Fresh Hands

Re: New too!!

Postby Rozax on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:19 pm

Putting first things first: breathe. Everything will fall into place when you take the proper steps, but everything is not going to happen one night. If you want guidelines for the NCETMB (NCETM, in my case - I didn't wanna do the Bodywork portion), you can look it up a review manual. This is the one that came with my school books.

Read it through, see whatcha know, study up on what's in there. Just don't let it overwhelm you.

As for rusty massage techniques, there's only one solution to that: convince your friends that they need a massage so that you can practice on them. :)
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby Pete on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:29 am

Rozax wrote:As for rusty massage techniques, there's only one solution to that: convince your friends that they need a massage so that you can practice on them. :)

Well, you could also take some CEUs to get back into it...
Pete
Retired Site Admin

Postby Taoist on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:24 am

Pete wrote:
Rozax wrote:As for rusty massage techniques, there's only one solution to that: convince your friends that they need a massage so that you can practice on them. :)

Well, you could also take some CEUs to get back into it...

It all comes down to just DOING it and getting back on the proverbial bicycle. I think you'll find once you do, a lot of things you have forgotten about will come back to you, because just like we never forget how to ride a bike, we don't forget how to give a massage.
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby 2ndxsachrm on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:58 am

did you hear that??? it was my sigh of relief... I know it will take time.. and I'm prepared for that.. especially the studying thing.. of course the muscles and the attachments are the hardest but I'm more motivated to go over them than I ever was... and the CEU's is a great idea... I've been looking into it... but most of the classes you have to be licensed - its a vicious cycle - :) but I'm prepared and ready!! thank you all for your suggestions especially that book!!!

Erin
2ndxsachrm
Fresh Hands

Postby Pete on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:01 pm

2ndxsachrm wrote:but most of the classes you have to be licensed

Really? Wow! Here the schools mainly just require that you've had training - it's to ensure you will be able to follow the material and not slow down the class. You might want to call the schools and explain your situation and see if they'll let you in the class(es) anyway.
Pete
Retired Site Admin

Postby Rozax on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:11 pm

Pete wrote:
2ndxsachrm wrote:but most of the classes you have to be licensed

Really? Wow! Here the schools mainly just require that you've had training - it's to ensure you will be able to follow the material and not slow down the class. You might want to call the schools and explain your situation and see if they'll let you in the class(es) anyway.

I agree with checking with the schools. It doesn't hurt to ask, and you will only benefit if they yes. :smt001
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby Robertsteel on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Persuade your family, they need a massage.
Robertsteel
Fresh Hands

Postby pueppi on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:53 am

More thoughts... get involved with the members of this board. Post often, ask questions and allow us to be your sounding board. We'll help, if you will give us the chance.

Welcome! :)
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to Introductions and Birthdays