Hello from Utah!

Introduce yourself; tell us your birthday; become a part of our community!

Moderator: GreenDragonfly

Hello from Utah!

Postby patmanutah on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi!

I am 33 years old and married with 3 kids. I have been in various forms of "Customer Service" all of my life and have been looking for a new skill to pick up. I got my first massage ever from a local massage school, and knew this was what I wanted to do. My immediate thought is "this career would be so relaxing"... :D I'm starting school Aug 1st, and will graduate July of 2012. I'm looking forward to learning from everyone on this board, to further my knowledge as I'm going to school.
patmanutah
Fresh Hands

Re: Hello from Utah!

Postby riversinger on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:17 pm

Welcome to the forum! There's a great deal to learn, not just about the art of massage, but everything that goes along with it, including learning about yourself as you move through your training & into the journey that awaits you as an MT.

It is a wonderful & rewarding career field, though I wouldn't necessarily always consider it relaxing - but it can be what you make it. Keep in mind you have to take care of yourself & your body, as much as you will your future clients, and be sure to receive sessions as much as possible. Not only will it serve your body well, but also your own mental/emotional state too - plus you'll learn a great deal from how other practitioners work & the techniques they use as well. Good luck to you!
The song of the spirit is as the song
of the river, on a journey back to source.
riversinger

Postby Taoist on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:33 pm

Hello back from Utah and welcome to BWOL! Where are you attending school?
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby MarionFM on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:28 am

Welcome to BWOL! Good luck with your studies.
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby akashafive on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:22 am

Welcome! While many wouldn't consider MT relaxing per say, I think you can make it as relaxing as you want it to be! It's all about how you want to work and how you go about creating that environment/situation for yourself. :)

I heard all the warnings about using proper body mechanics and not over working myself and decided right from the start that I would do everything I could to NOT have to do everything. It won't work for everybody, depends greatly on your financial skills, and may seem downright lazy ;) but right from the start I decided that I was only going to work the days/hours that I wanted to work and not a minute more. I'm of the mind that instead of working until I tire and need to rest, don't let my body get to that point in the first place. This approach is a great exercise in setting and keeping boundaries. Keeping healthy and stretching helps a lot too, and get massages! :massage:

Good luck and keep us updated! :grin:
-Akasha
"Happiness is a journey, not a destination."
-Nancy Giles
akashafive
Registered Member

Postby patmanutah on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:36 am

Taoist wrote:Hello back from Utah and welcome to BWOL! Where are you attending school?

I am going to the Utah College Of Massage Therapy, at their Lindon Campus.

Thank you everyone for your welcoming messages. Although I understand as a MT, it will not by any means be "easy"...I guess what I meant by that comment is more that I will be in more control than I am now. I am in charge of a support department for a small company right now, and there is that constant pressure of keeping customers and my bosses happy. There are days I literally work 20 hours, while not making more than I make now (on salary). I'm underpaid and to be honest under appreciated. It will be nice to have someone walk away after I've done my part and know that they're going to have a better day because of it. I'm naturally a giving person and anywhere I've worked, I have always missed the positive reinforcement and basic "good job" type of feedback. It has always amazed me that companies or people miss out on keeping good employees because those employees feel like they're being worked to the bone, then tossed aside...when a simple thank you would keep them happy and willing to work. Sorry, guess that will be a discussion for a different area :D .

I have been looking for ways to be self-employed, and this just seems to fit in with my goal. I've tried many other ways, and it always came full circle and I was back where I started. I've gone to school in Business Management and Computers, but ended up working in a call center, or still answering to a boss that just didn't seem to care or listen. This is where my schooling as a MT will come in...I will be in full control of my future.
patmanutah
Fresh Hands

Postby Taoist on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:37 am

patmanutah wrote:
Taoist wrote:Hello back from Utah and welcome to BWOL! Where are you attending school?

I am going to the Utah College Of Massage Therapy, at their Lindon Campus.

Yay, that's where I went (D01-39)! I loved it!! I hope you have a blast!!
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby HealingMassageUT on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:23 am

Hi, Pat, and Taoist,

I'm also just registering here--I'm a recent graduate of the UCMT Lindon campus, as well (Graduated in March 2011).

I also loved it...

I've been growing my own private practice for the last several months. LOVE the tips here on this site!

I'm still actively engaged in visiting the campus and getting regular massages--I should request you sometime, Pat!! :-)

Best,
Darin
Have compassion for all, even if they don't want it. What seems conceit, bad manners, or cynicism is always a sign of things no others have seen or heard. You do not know what wars are going on down where the spirit meets the bone.
HealingMassageUT
Fresh Hands

Postby patmanutah on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:13 am

Darin, since you have recently graduated. I am wondering how easy it is to find clients in Utah for a private practice? I know there are a lot of variables involved and what works for you may not work for me...but all that aside, how is the Utah private practice atmosphere?
patmanutah
Fresh Hands

Postby pueppi on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:56 am

patmanutah wrote:... how is the Utah private practice atmosphere?

You may want to post this question in: County, State & Country Requirements, Legislation and Politics or Business Issues & Marketing Discussion if you'd like to hear more opinions on the subject.

Welcome!
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby CapeTownBodyWorker on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:29 am

Hello back atcha from Cape Town, and good luck with your studies :D
Cape Town Massage Practitioner at http://www.newagetherapies.com/massage-cape-town.php letting my hair down and meeting kindred spirit worldwide
CapeTownBodyWorker
Fresh Hands

Return to Introductions and Birthdays