You know you're a massage therapist when...

Meet and greet, discuss non-bodywork topics, and make new friends in the world of bodywork. A place to "let your hair down"!

Moderator: maestra

Postby cy on Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:48 pm

i love this thread.

when...

...your boyfriend says for the 50th time "that spot on my back hurts" and you look at him with a raised eyebrow and say "have you been doing positive rest pose?"

...someone asks what you do, you respond "massage therapist," and when they ask "a REAL massage therapist?," you can feel your eyes bugging out and your head about to explode.

...as you're walking down the street, you visualize every person you see standing in front of a postural analysis chart, guessing what they do for a living, and devising a treatment plan in your head.

...you get super-excited when lavender essential oil is on sale at Whole Foods.

...you get super-excited when 100% cotton twin sheets are $9.99 a set.

...you buy the most uglyass shoes you've ever seen in your life because "they have good arch support."

...every family visit includes at least one family member saying "y'know, there's this spot that's been bothering me..."

...you find yourself swaying your head and digging a song you've heard well over a hundred times that's being piped into your session room, and then thinking they've REALLY got to change the tunes. Especially that song with the frogs.
cy
Registered Member

Postby TouchofGrace on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:23 pm

Moonstone wrote:you know your a MT when your friends turn there backs to you and lower their head!

You get your wedding ring tatooed as to always wear it and never lose it!!

every movement that a person makes makes you think of how they might be hurting!

you have such extreme passion about your gift, that sometimes your best of friends can't understand you!!

Happy New Year Friends!

I know this is very old, but I loved this entire thread and I can so relate to the tattooed wedding ring. I really miss wearing my ring every day.
~Sandra

Worry doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow...it empties today of its strength
TouchofGrace
Registered Member

Postby BJB-LMP on Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:19 pm

when . . .

. . . you're watching "30 Rock" and you cannot stop trying to figure out why Tina Fey walks that way. I can't even concentrate on the joke printed on Judah Friedlander's cap!
-Beccy
BJB-LMP
Registered Member

Postby TouchofGrace on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:09 am

BJB-LMP wrote:when . . .

. . . you're watching "30 Rock" and you cannot stop trying to figure out why Tina Fey walks that way. I can't even concentrate on the joke printed on Judah Friedlander's cap!

lol Maybe you should write a book on "Looking through the eyes of a Massage Therapist". Or is there one already? lol
~Sandra

TouchofGrace
Registered Member

when

Postby holley on Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:22 am

....when you are on Amtrak in the observation, car between Minneapolis and Portland, and you've just finished massageing a carload of Amish on their way to the radon mines in Montana.

....when your kids/friends/relatives and lovers walk into you backword without a word and you know what they want.

...when you plan a trip to anywhere and are checking the area for massage trades.

....when you do a massage, get paid, and are suprised.
'Every Day is a god, each day a goddess and holiness pours forth in time."
holley
Registered Member

Postby holistichealer on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:45 am

you know you are a massage therapist (or student) when...........

you get up every morning and start your day going over each muscle and bone by name in the shower so you pass your test/refresh your memory

take each sample that is given at a mall just to try it out even if it smells horrible.
"Tell me I'm frozen
But what can I do?
Can't tell the reasons
I did it for you"---Within Temptation "Frozen"
holistichealer
Registered Member

Postby Blisss on Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:30 pm

You receive a book in the mail that got a little bent during shipment, and you find yourself trying to massage the cover & spine, to make it smooth again. :lol:
Blisss
Registered Member

Postby holistichealer on Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:54 pm

You wake up with a sore neck and go, damn I need a massage and then remember you can do it urself for free!!!
"Tell me I'm frozen
But what can I do?
Can't tell the reasons
holistichealer
Registered Member

Postby Blisss on Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:14 pm

holistichealer wrote:You wake up with a sore neck and go, damn I need a massage and then remember you can do it urself for free!!!

You know you've been a massage therapist for a while when you think instead, "Damn. I want someone to massage me!
Blisss
Registered Member

Postby holistichealer on Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:19 pm

Blisss wrote:
holistichealer wrote:You wake up with a sore neck and go, damn I need a massage and then remember you can do it urself for free!!!

You know you've been a massage therapist for a while when you think instead, "Damn. I want someone to massage me!

hahhaa, you are so right Blisss. Here is one for you: You know you're a massage therapist, or student when you finish class and say "ok line up anyone who wants a massage so everyone can practice" and we all line up and fight for the first spot (lovingly of course)
"Tell me I'm frozen
But what can I do?
Can't tell the reasons
holistichealer
Registered Member

Postby BJB-LMP on Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:01 pm

Dang, honey, your class needs to learn to do that in a circle!
-Beccy
BJB-LMP
Registered Member

Postby HappyKarma on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:08 pm

When you come home from a long exhausting day,flop on the floor in a temper tantrum,yelling for someone to just walk on your back,like on the Jeffersons,BTW--It was Shiatsu and I didn't even know it then!

Love and Light-
:) :) Johnny
"When life wrinkles you up,get a massage"
HappyKarma
Registered Member

Postby fudja / aka Greatlakes on Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:32 am

That British dude was a big guy, he could have hurt poor George!
fudja / aka Greatlakes
Registered Member

Postby jlhremedial on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:14 am

... You can somehow turn a conversation from clothing to foot ware to patella tracking in under a minute.

... you can expand the abreviations ITB, PFJ, TA, ACL, TMJ, ASIS, ISIS, SIJ, TOS, etc.
Visit www .Its EasyToMassage. com to learn the secrets of massage, because massage shouldn't be a secret and massage shouldn't be expensive to learn... Its Easy To Massage
jlhremedial
Fresh Hands

Postby hargrcha on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:44 am

You know you're a MT when:

* all you can think about is how you can help and aid others (already said in so many ways.)

* you're spouse (who has now also become an MT) is now pointing out the body work needed by someone else and comparing notes on techniques.

* you're in the grocery store and thinking how this would make a cool body wrap / scrub.

* you're ability to "spot" a perv through short conversations
hargrcha
Registered Member

You know you are an MT

Postby massagediva on Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:19 pm

when your best friends decide to follow your lead, switch careers and become MTs too. (And then you open a spa together!)
:D
massagediva
Fresh Hands

You know you are a MT when. . .

Postby PremoMT on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:14 am

When you hear Pharrell singin "shake your money maker(s) like somebody 'bout to pay ya." and instinctivly you produce spirit fingers.:smt041

When you tell your client that Sleeping,:smt015 snoring, drooling and farting are all taken as a compliment. (love that post about the standing ovation!!)
My Website www.premospa.com
PremoMT
Registered Member

Postby Ding on Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:33 am

you know you're a massage therapist when you consider a tummy growling to be a compliment (because the relaxation response has kicked in) -- and you tell the person with the growling tummy that (if they're awake and embarassed about the growling)! LOL

Yes, the snoring too ... haven't experienced the farting thing yet ... not sure I'm looking forward to it!! :lol:
- Heidi
Ding
Registered Member

Postby warmtouch on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:22 am

you don't have a dishwasher, so you keep a box of disposable gloves in the kitchen for cleanup time.
warmtouch
Registered Member

Oh god not the farting!!

Postby loops on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:57 pm

You know your a MT when a client fart and you don't say anything but try to take a deep breath before the smell gets to you, and when you run out of air you quietly peak your head out the door to reload.LoL :lol:
loops
Fresh Hands

Postby Ding on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:19 am

... when you are using an emery board on rough spots on the skin of your fingers!!! :?

I thought I was the only bad one who does this, until I mentioned it to my former teacher, who I still get massages from, and she said she does the same thing!!

Ditto to the "using gloves in the kitchen whenever possible" (and when I get lax about it is when I find myself needing to use the emery board more often on rough skin ..... hmmmmmm :roll: )
- Heidi
Ding
Registered Member

Postby kemilyna on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:04 pm

...when you recognize all the new people you met at the conference by what is on the back of their shirts!

:O)
kemilyna
Registered Member

Postby bwnormandlmt on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:17 pm

When you see a girl who big up top and say dam her back must be hurting

your hands start to hurt when you walk by an Orthopedics Office.
bwnormandlmt
Fresh Hands

Postby holley on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:31 pm

When you are in a session and realize that there is no other place you'd rather be, nothing else you'd rather be doing and no one esle you'd rather be with.
'Every Day is a god, each day a goddess and holiness pours forth in time."
holley
Registered Member

Postby TouchofGrace on Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:34 pm

....when you recognize someone by their tattoo
~Sandra

TouchofGrace
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Table Topics