You know you're a massage therapist when...

Meet and greet, discuss non-bodywork topics, and make new friends in the world of bodywork. A place to "let your hair down"!

Moderator: maestra

Shannon
Registered Member

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:12 pm

terab wrote:you know you're a massage therapist when... you can fold sheets (even fitted ones) better than martha stewart.
I STILL suck at folding fitted sheets lol However I am getting better at it.

maestra
Site Admin

Post by maestra » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:24 pm

Well actually I believe it WAS Martha (pre-prison days) who taught on Oprah how to correctly fold a set of sheets. This is how I fold my twin sets Shannon, if it helps you any.
I take my twin flat and grab ahold of it at the side, folding it in half, and again in half, and again in half until I have a long section of sheet about a foot wide. Then I fold this in half the opposite direction and lay flat.
I then grab my twin fitted and poke one "gathered corner" into the other. Lay it flat and fold corners together. I then "tidy up" the sides so I get as square an edge as possible and fold in half. http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml ... ite=living
Then I fold the pillow case in half, and then again two more times.
I place the fitted and the pillow case on top of the flat and then wrap the flat around the fitted and pillow case to make a nice tight "roll"... and these can then be stacked nicely on a shelf. The nice thing about it is I don't have to worry if all the pieces are there... because it's always "ready to go" - and since I do primarily outcalls, this is very important to me.
Hope that helps, I know a student that I mentored last year thought it was a really neat way to store them and now folds hers the same way!
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

Knead2care
Fresh Hands

Post by Knead2care » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:02 pm

I will have to agree with palpable on the "COOL" factor of a nail file/ clipper. I recently did this when I ran across a website that had a colored glass nail file......... take a gander, they are cool.

http://www.summerspastfarms.com/spaitems.htm

Hope the website works, enjoy.

Julie
Jules

Shannon
Registered Member

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

maestra wrote:I take my twin flat and grab ahold of it at the side, folding it in half, and again in half, and again in half until I have a long section of sheet about a foot wide. Then I fold this in half the opposite direction and lay flat.
I then grab my twin fitted and poke one "gathered corner" into the other. Lay it flat and fold corners together. I then "tidy up" the sides so I get as square an edge as possible and fold in half. http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml ... ite=living
Then I fold the pillow case in half, and then again two more times.
I place the fitted and the pillow case on top of the flat and then wrap the flat around the fitted and pillow case to make a nice tight "roll"... and these can then be stacked nicely on a shelf. The nice thing about it is I don't have to worry if all the pieces are there... because it's always "ready to go" - and since I do primarily outcalls, this is very important to me.
That is a Great idea...going to start doing that.

AND You know you are a Massage Therapist when you share tips on how to fold fitted sheets and post links to cool finger nail file and clippers!!
Website worked by the way and I like them as well.

terab
Registered Member

Post by terab » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:07 pm

You know you're a MT when...You slowly notice that other members of your household call various muscles by their proper name. :mrgreen:
oh yeah, that's a great one too! .... so i'll add to yours bluhairedfaerie ...

you know your a massage therapist when... you're 2 year old can tell people where her mandible is, her metacarpals and metatarsals are etc.

while i was in school i used my daugter to help me study. i used to draw on her and myself and she learned all of the bones and muscles when i did. it was hilarious to watch her tell people "this is my mandible". that was always her favorite![/quote]

mush
Registered Member

Post by mush » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:15 pm

Knead2care wrote:I will have to agree with palpable on the "COOL" factor of a nail file/ clipper. I recently did this when I ran across a website that had a colored glass nail file......... take a gander, they are cool.

http://www.summerspastfarms.com/spaitems.htm

Hope the website works, enjoy.

Julie
ooooh :mrgreen: i want a large one!

i bought a glass one at Sally's Beauty Supply. it's about the size of the medium one. made by Swissco for $6.99. i love it!!!
wish i had a link for ya'll
and you could be the sunshine falling over the mountains.. john butler
red rocks 9/2005

karmassage
Registered Member

Post by karmassage » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:28 pm

you know you're a massage therapist when....

you carry purell on your keychain.

(how many times has someone told you they have athletes foot AFTER they're on the table??)
Let the beauty of what you love be what you do - Rumi

bwnormandlmt
Fresh Hands

you know your a massage therapist when...

Post by bwnormandlmt » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:24 pm

you know your a massage therapist when... you've been working non-stop for 3 1/2 months after Hurricane Katrina and you lookup and it's already 2006. I feel like i missed the last 3 months of my life.

I don't think I could get a massage everyday for the next week and even tap into the tension my body is experiencing. :cry:

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Re: you know your a massage therapist when...

Post by Rose of Sharon » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:49 pm

bwnormandlmt wrote:you know your a massage therapist when... you've been working non-stop for 3 1/2 months after Hurricane Katrina and you lookup and it's already 2006. I feel like i missed the last 3 months of my life.

I don't think I could get a massage everyday for the next week and even tap into the tension my body is experiencing. :cry:
(((bwnormandlmt))) I wish I could go to NOLA and give you a few massages!
Sharon

Shannon
Registered Member

Re: you know your a massage therapist when...

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:09 pm

bwnormandlmt wrote:you know your a massage therapist when... you've been working non-stop for 3 1/2 months after Hurricane Katrina and you lookup and it's already 2006. I feel like i missed the last 3 months of my life.

Of all people here I can relate to that one! I don't recall the past few months all that great. Somewhere along the way I completely lost September. The stories I heard on my table drained me just the horrors I was hearing about, the emotional clients, the stressed out ones, well these days they all are. I got a massage today and I could not for the life of me relax during it.
If you are ever down in Houma look me up, I will gladly give you a massage!!

ymdw2004
Registered Member

you know you're a MT when

Post by ymdw2004 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:21 pm

------ you clip nails to the quick, and file fingertips too!
------ you think richness is a full cart of fresh clean sheets!
------ you are worse than a musician about protecting your hands!
------ you can work around all manner of jewelry that "can't be taken off", through clothes, even, for the terminally shy client.

Thanks for this thread! The best so far in my opinion was the snoring/farting one!

Linda B in NC
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

YogaLMT
Registered Member

Post by YogaLMT » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:26 pm

... you go shopping for yourself or your household, but find (and would rather buy) things for your office instead

... you can't put anything in the trunk of your car because your chair massage equipment is in there

... you "geek out" over essential oil combinations (current fave: cardamom seed & tangerine)

... you're more thrilled than a person oughta be over 100 tealights for $3.99 (at Target)

... you find yourself getting a service (haircut, pedicure) somewhere and wish they would pay as much attention to detail as you believe you do for your clients (okay, maybe that's just "you know you're a control freak when..." :))
~ Andrea

GinaT

Post by GinaT » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:31 pm

You know you're a MT when you find yourself buying all the flannel twin sheet sets that are on sale and it is 100 degrees outside.
javascript:emoticon('8)')
Cool[/quote]

CaringHandsMss
Retired Moderator

Post by CaringHandsMss » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:21 pm

Gina T,

That's funny & comically SOOO TRUE :!: :!: :!:

Sincerely,
CaringHandsMss :)

Bodymovers
Registered Member

Post by Bodymovers » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:40 am

you know youre a massage therapist when....

*while doing yardwork, your husband flies out of the house screaming "DONT HURT YOUR MONEY MAKERS!!" and hes not talking about taa-taas.....lol

*you see someone in the grocery store who spots you, grabs the side of their neck and hollers " I NEED YOU!!"

Masthera
Retired Site Admin

Post by Masthera » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:55 am

Bodymovers wrote:you know youre a massage therapist when....

*while doing yardwork, your husband flies out of the house screaming "DONT HURT YOUR MONEY MAKERS!!" and hes not talking about taa-taas.....lol

*you see someone in the grocery store who spots you, grabs the side of their neck and hollers " I NEED YOU!!"
:smt044

MRSkitten
Registered Member

Post by MRSkitten » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:59 pm

...you go to your ex-husband's wedding and when his exhausted new wife finally can sit down and kick off her killer heels it's a genuine pleasure to kneel at her feet and knead in a packet of Biofreeze. (I was unaware my mom took a photo of this until she sent it to me, framed, for my office. The look of pure bliss on the bride's face is classic, and every time I see it I smile.)

Thanks for posting the sheet-folding tip. I've always done them this way and it really is easy. Now no MTs have an excuse for the wadded-up wrinkly messes I sometimes see on tables! :wink:

Corban_hands
Fresh Hands

Post by Corban_hands » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:30 pm

You know you're a massage therapist when.....

...........Everything you own is covered in a coating of oil

...........You watch how everyone walks and mentally critique their posture and make notes of where they are hurting

...........When your entire work day can be summed up in 15 - 30 minute increments as, now it's time to work the legs... now it's time to work the back... :smt056

...........When you flip a pancake and start adding way too much butter.... :shock:

...........When your closet is stacked with essental oils and you've given up on perfumes/colognes, since you can "make your own..."

..........(ohh my girlfriend's personal favorite/most hated) When you can see a BEAUTIFUL person of the opposite sex, laying there naked and fail to get turned on.....
Trying is a loud way of not doing.

LizOmen
Fresh Hands

Post by LizOmen » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:08 pm

When you tell your parent about the new sign up on the wall that says,

"you know you are a massage therapist when snoring from the table sounds like a round of applause and your client passing gas is like a standing ovavtion."

And she tell you that your crazy

macalla
Registered Member

Post by macalla » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:29 pm

deleted
Last edited by macalla on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Baby, I don't care."

AnastasiaB
Registered Member

Post by AnastasiaB » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:40 pm

:smt044 You know you're a massage therapist when...

... an elderly female client asks you to fix the sore spot on her ribs, and you do what you were taught to do in school, drape appropriately and proceed to work on the area you thought she meant... then she pulls off the draping, moves her very considerable breast up and over her shoulder, grabs your hand and says, loudly, "NOT THERE< HERE DEAR!!!" and it doesn't faze you one bit

... you buy two sets of each pattern of the sheets on sale so that when the bottom sheets get snakry before the top ones do, you can use the two top sheets as a set to stretch your budget a bit farther,

... you buy the 10 gallon drum of laundry detergent, read that it should wash a billion loads, and to keep the IRS off your back, you make a chart to keep track of all the sheet laundry you do at home to prove that the laundry detergent really was for your practice

... you can read posts like these and relate while laughing out loud and snorting foolishly much to the startle amazement of your spouse and pets

Please keep 'em coming folks, we all need more laughter in our lives!!!
Anastasia B

Be who you are and say what you feel, because people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind. - Theodore S. Geisel - [Dr. Seuss][

www.mymassageworks.embarqspace.com

CaringHandsMss
Retired Moderator

Post by CaringHandsMss » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:07 pm

You know You're a Massage Therapist when.....Your Dogs (even though they like considerablely different modalities of massage) come up to You when Your partner has been "petting" them and even trying to do some beneficial work on them :smt104 and they run to You and nestle themselves under Your hands in unison movement to see which one of the two will score a massage first. :smt052 :smt118 :smt118

Sincerely,
CaringHandsMss :)

DianaMarie
Registered Member

Post by DianaMarie » Wed May 03, 2006 10:51 pm

when someone says they have a pain and they don't know why so you tell them and they can't believe you know

you excitedly start talking about anatomy at dinner with friends and they stare blankly back at you like your from another planet

you have a bottle of oil in your purse at all times

and when you actually start to like wearing scrubs!

All the best ones were taken, this is an awesome thread!!!

:smt038 :smt043 :smt042 :smt038

Breathe
Registered Member

Post by Breathe » Wed May 03, 2006 11:12 pm

When your client looks at you with tears in her eyes and says "Finally, someone who believes me when I say how much pain I am in!"
abusing the word "actually" since 1973

Meg D.
Registered Member

Post by Meg D. » Fri May 12, 2006 3:20 am

I don't slice my own chicken cutlets anymore...I let the butcher do it! :D

Return to “Off the Table Topics”