You know you're a massage therapist when...

Meet and greet, discuss non-bodywork topics, and make new friends in the world of bodywork. A place to "let your hair down"!

Moderator: maestra

Postby Jenlait81 on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:06 am

You know you're a MT when...

you find yourself automatically going into massage mode when applying lotion to your own dry skin. I dont know about any of ya'll but since I became a MT I no longer rub my lotion in I massage it in.

It no longer phases you when your female clients have hairy legs.

When your client is in desperate need of a sandblaster instead of a pedicure but you insist on rubbing their feet even though they have just warned you about them.You also find yourself giving their bunyans and corns a little extra attention and you can do all of this without gagging.(That takes skills)
Jenna, LMT

Jenlait81
Fresh Hands

Postby lilmommajnn on Tue May 20, 2008 9:40 pm

You know you're an MT when...
It no longer bothers you to GET a massage with hairy legs!
Your SO no longer looks at you as if you've lost your mind when you say "I need an elbow in my hind end"
SO looks at you and says the same thing!
you can feel which muscles are getting tight, know why, know what to do to fix it (and how to get to the ones you can't reach)
lilmommajnn
Fresh Hands

Postby pipgarden on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:44 am

Kindred Spirits wrote:...you can no longer just rest your hand on a loved-one's back without your hand - on its own, with no direction from your conscious mind - massaging and searching for ropes, knots, tight areas, and playing with the spinal ligaments.

I'm new to the forum and still a student. My husband said the other evening I was feeling his bones/muscles! I see people differently now too!
pipgarden
Fresh Hands

Postby Brian on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:07 am

...you look at every person as a body

...you shake someone's hand and then begin to assess them physically

...you can't remember when the last time was you paid for a massage

...you can't remember the last time you got a massage

...you start observing people in the grocery trying to see where they are out of alignment

...you close your eyes and sense the energy in everyone you touch

...you see how people envy your spouse, but know that you can't remember the last time they got a massage

...you start massaging the dog without consciously knowing it

...petting the cat turns into a series of motions

...all your friends ask medical advice

...you realize that most of the music you listen to when not at work falls into the classification of relaxation music

...you wear gloves to mow the lawn

...you get thrilled over a new type of hand lotion

...you spend your days working with mangled sheets on a table, and your nights mangling your own in bed
Brian
Fresh Hands

Postby JaneBNH on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:16 pm

When you attend a jazz/blues concert and notice the sax player has one shoulder higher than the other, the base player has extreme forward head posture, the lead singer walks with pronated knees and duck feet....

You receive Art Rigg's deep tissue DVD's for Christmas and jump for joy!
:oops:
JaneBNH
Registered Member

Queen of Chiliwack

Postby holley on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:04 am

When your on a bus from Vancouver to Powell River and, on the ferry, massage a host of passengers and the bus driver...

What's the difference between a musician and a large pizza?
A large pizza can feed a family of four....
'Every Day is a god, each day a goddess and holiness pours forth in time."
holley
Registered Member

Massage Therapist

Postby Brian on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:03 am

you are bad with faces and you have to have someone get naked to recognize them.
Brian
Fresh Hands

Postby PremoMT on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:03 pm

When....
You can slip your lace up shoes off without making a sound and without breaking concentration on the TrP you've got under your elbow.
My Website www.premospa.com
PremoMT
Registered Member

Postby NaplesLMT on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:35 pm

When someone refers to the massage table as a bed and you cringe on the inside while smiling on the outside.
Naples LMT
NaplesLMT
Registered Member

Postby Rosewood Holistic Health on Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:51 am

The song "Leg bone connected to the hip bone" becomes " Greater trochanter of the femur connected to the acetabulum."

When at the mall or grocery store unsuspecting passersby get gait and muscle tonus evaluations.

When at the neighborhood Christmas party someone asks, "Can massage help sciatica?" you launch into a well thought out 5 point description of the piriformis, and upon your finishing...crickets...
Monica Leibacher, Bs.Ed, LMT, Aromatherapist
Relaxation, Therapeutic, Chair Massage: Craniosacral Therapy: Hot Stone Certified
Aromatherapy Parties: Young Living Independent Distributor
www.rosewoodmassage.com
Rosewood Holistic Health
Fresh Hands

You know you're

Postby nara on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:47 am

When you say o.k. I'll take the client at 9.pm. and started the day at 9a.m., but someone needs help. Also when you can't remember the last time you got a massage.
My name is Nara White Owl
I'm a Master Instructor for the Crystal Awareness Institute http://www.squidoo.com/crystaltherapy
http://www.squidoo.com/hotstone
nara
Fresh Hands

Postby ccMarie on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:47 am

You know you're a massage therapist when....

You move into a new house, and the neighbors passing by on the sidewalk hear native american drum & flute drifting from the massage room window. The are intrigued & extremely relieved.

8)
You are not on this planet to produce anything with your body. You are on this planet to produce something with your soul. Your body is simply and merely the tool of your soul.

- Neale Donald Walsh Conversations with God
ccMarie
Registered Member

Postby ccMarie on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm

....when you have a first time client who DOESN'T comment on 'how warm your hands are' and you wonder what the heck you are doing wrong.
You are not on this planet to produce anything with your body. You are on this planet to produce something with your soul. Your body is simply and merely the tool of your soul.

ccMarie
Registered Member

Postby Monkey on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:53 am

When you spend more time picking out your underwear than your outfit, on a school/course day...

Your SO requests you move the table into the living room infront of the TV because he/she has 'had too many massages this week' :roll:

All your friends grab various body parts and moan and groan - then look to see if you're paying attention

When your SO subconsciously covers the closest trigger point to you, when they know they're annoying you

When your nails are the healthiest, and fastest growing in your life - and it annoys you.
Monkey
Registered Member

Postby ccMarie on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:45 pm

Monkey wrote:When your nails are the healthiest, and fastest growing in your life - and it annoys you.

:lol: This is so true! Clipping twice a week, filing every other day!

ccMarie
Registered Member

Re: You know you're a massage therapist when...

Postby DRRX2009 on Sat May 16, 2009 12:29 pm

When instead of intially being touched by Obama letting a child pat his head, I'm thinking he should have flexed his knees before bending over so low. And noticed his forward head posture.

..and I'm still in school.
Just call me X.
DRRX2009
Fresh Hands

Postby JLWmassage on Wed May 27, 2009 11:02 am

You are not a true bodyworker till you start wearing Birkenstock's :lol:

No one in your family gets worked on by you
JLWmassage

Postby Monkey on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:57 am

When you used to LOVE watching your significant other do physical work like exercising or yard work so you could admire their physique and how attractive they are - but now sadly see it as a chance to do a self-test in anatomy, with every muscle they flex and extend.
Monkey
Registered Member

Postby TouchofGrace on Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:30 am

LOL I love reading this thread. I alternate between ^5ing someone or rolling my eyes while laughing.
~Sandra

Worry doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow...it empties today of its strength
TouchofGrace
Registered Member

Postby TouchofGrace on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:06 am

quinn wrote:
DRRX2009 wrote:When instead of intially being touched by Obama letting a child pat his head, I'm thinking he should have flexed his knees before bending over so low. And noticed his forward head posture.

..and I'm still in school.

So true! I'm an absolute freak when it comes to posture!

Oops... ::straightening shoulders::
~Sandra

Worry doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow...it empties today of its strength
TouchofGrace
Registered Member

Postby ccMarie on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:01 pm

...you just washed your hands (with nail brush) seven times to finally remove the smell of the last client's feet, and you STILL love what you do! :smt060

&

...when you can tell if someone is asleep by the way they twitch.

ccMarie
Registered Member

Postby [email protected] on Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:58 am

You squeal with excitement when your massage magazines arrive in the mail (even though they've been coming every month for over a year).
You squeal with excitement when your massage catalogs arrive in the mail (same reason)
You could talk about the pros and cons of oils, lotions, salves, tinctures, herbs, essential oils, etc... for hours
Your idea of a day trip is giving chair massage somewhere
Your vacation now includes finding a spa near your hotel, or booking your hotel near the spa
You plan vacations where you can take a quick CE class, just 6 hours.. or 12.
When you read books for pleasure they are about different massage techniques, and it's better than a mystery!
When you can lie face down on the table for a 10 min nap, and wake up an hour later! (I swear I'm better conditioned than Pavlov's dog!)
"The best pioneers are the ones actually out the doing massage. They get devotees just from having put their hands on them. That's what keeps the field alive and moving."
~Tiffany Fields
[email protected]
Registered Member

Postby eyesofblue on Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:28 pm

... you go out to see your friends' band play music and you have a hard time enjoying the music because you keep thinking how badly you just want to get your hands on them! especially when they are middle aged musicians with patterns entrenched.

... you can't keep your hands off yourself! and are constantly massaging and working the muscles on your own legs/arms/butt etc. or stretching, flexing and going through ROM on various joints

... you take a bath with a tennis ball so you can lean into it to get those spots on your back.

... your daughter finds you, plops herself right down and puts her legs up on you and without thinking you start the massage.

... your 6 year old son knows what tapotement means and your daughter cannot go to sleep at night without a massage first.

... your pin numbers/passwords have something to do with massage

... you rarely go to sleep at night without doing some reiki first.
eyesofblue
Registered Member

Postby Timedess on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:19 am

... when someone in your meeting needs some help, so you whip out the sample packet of whatever your favorite lotion/therapeutic ointment is and get busy. And when a newbie looks on with a startled look on his face, you just grin, shrug, and say "It's Ok! I'm licensed to do this!"

"Therapist. Massage Therapist. Licensed to Touch." (a la "007"..... I wish I would make this our new tag line, LOL!)

... when there are SO many quips you could make, related to what you do for a living/body posture/pain/etc., that you just couldn't say in public because it would be taken wrong.

... when someone shows you a lotion/body care product they are SO excited about, and you gracefully indulge them, yet are wincing on the inside because of the artificial ingredients/texture/heavy scent/etc..

... when you finally get over the fact that strange women ARE going to come up and hug your hubby because they're so grateful for what he's done for them.

... when strange women come up and hug YOU (me) because they truly are grateful that "you allow your hubby to do this, instead of keeping him all to yourself".

... when other men don't mind sending their wives to your hubby.... knowing they're going to undress and be in a private room with him for a full hour (or more).... and then they brag about it to your whole networking group!

... when you and your MT-hubby are standing in line at a store, and the lady in front of you is *staring* at him, and asks if he's <so and so>. And when he doesn't recognize her face, she turns around, bends over, and flips up her shirt to expose her back, and he says "Yes, I know exactly who you are now!"
~Renee
Timedess
Registered Member

Postby LadyNiko on Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:16 am

You go car shopping and you're like, "How will my table fit in the trunk of this car?" or, "How easy will it be to load my chair into the backseat?"

(This is what I did in late July/early August when my parents decreed I needed a new car & I went around in circles with my father insisting on trunk space! :LOL: )
The little white men in the little white coats are coming to take me away! he he ho ho ha ha!
LadyNiko
Registered Member

Location: Somewhere on Planet Earth in an apartment ruled by 2 cats

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Table Topics