memorial day thoughts

Meet and greet, discuss non-bodywork topics, and make new friends in the world of bodywork. A place to "let your hair down"!

Moderator: maestra

memorial day thoughts

Postby holley on Tue May 31, 2011 3:07 pm

Originally proclaimed after the civil war to honor the dead of both sides.
The south refused to acknowledge the holiday until after WW1, when it was modified to honor all Americans who died in any war.

Wonder if memorial day could be modified to honor all the dead killed in our wars. For example. 58,000 US soldiers were killed and 350,00 wounded in Vietnam while 2 million Vietnamese were killed and 3 million wounded. The vietnam memorial in DC would be a monstrous monument generating horror, as, perhaps, all war monuments should.

Honoring our own dead and those of our allies (ie Pakistan 35,000 thus-far) and adversaries might be a step towards reconciliation and a jump towards ending war as a primary method for the US in resolving disputes.
Last edited by holley on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Every Day is a god, each day a goddess and holiness pours forth in time."
holley
Registered Member

Re: memorial day thoughts

Postby squash_blsm on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:12 am

Holley,

I think some people DO make that little bit of a leap to honor ALL veterans, all soldiers, all who pay the price of anyone's war.

I usually take memorial day to remember and honor my father (who, although he was a veteran, this day was his birthday and it's easy for me to remember him :) ).
And when I am sitting in contemplation or lighting a candle, my thoughts naturally lead to others. Those affected by wars, injustice, poverty, etc. All of those things I wish were different.

And as I think about your post a metta prayer comes to mind...

May all beings be safe
May all beings be happy
May all beings be healthy
May all beings be content
May all beings love themselves completely
And with great kindness
Just as they are now
No matter what happens
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

World Beyond War

Postby holley on Thu May 25, 2017 5:10 am

"If war were ending on its own, it would be ending because people were causing it to end. That trend could be reversed if enough people found out that anti-war work was succeeding and took that as a reason to stop engaging in it. But we are not yet clearly succeeding. If we want to end war we will have to redouble our efforts and get many more people involved. First, let’s examine the evidence that war is not fading away."

http://worldbeyondwar.org/war-going-end/
holley
Registered Member

Re: memorial day thoughts

Postby holley on Sat May 27, 2017 4:47 am

holley
Registered Member

Be Heartened

Postby holley on Wed May 31, 2017 3:10 am

Margaret Mead wrote: ‘Warfare is only an invention - not a biological necessity"...."war seems such an ingrained habit of most of the human race (but) we can take comfort from the fact that a poor invention will usually give place to a better invention. The attached article from Scientific America supports her findings: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/.. ... -meads.../
holley
Registered Member

Return to Off the Table Topics