Powerful Quotes!!!!

Meet and greet, discuss non-bodywork topics, and make new friends in the world of bodywork. A place to "let your hair down"!

Moderator: maestra

Powerful Quotes!!!!

Postby vibeorange on Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:11 am

Didn't want to hi-jack another thread regarding this topic...

What are some of your favorite Quotes that inspire you to keep striving, keep believing, stay positive, stay focused, give you strength, or just make you smile.

There are so many I love, so I'll start with....

A man's gift maketh room for him, and bringeth him before great men.  Proverbs 18:16 (King James Version)

When you lose touch with inner stillness, you lose touch with yourself.  When you lose touch with yourself, you lose yourself in the world.

When your consciousness is directed outward, mind <br>and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested.

Eckhart Tolle
vibeorange
Fresh Hands

Re: Powerful Quotes!!!!

Postby Manaworker on Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:48 am

I have so many that I make little scrolls and each of my clients gets to choose a "quote for the road" before they leave.  Mother Teresa, Einstein, are two of my favorites but I've even been known to quote Cher.
Manaworker
Registered Member

Postby Tracey on Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:02 am

Oh my Vibe -  got tons of them...here are just a few of my favs:<br><br>"Your history is your genesis. It explains who you are and how you came to be." <br>   - Ayinde<br><br><br>"The ultimate result of shielding man from the effects of folly is to people the world with fools."<br>   - Herbert Spencer<br><br><br>"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice."<br>  - Albert Einstein<br><br><br>"No man can reveal to you aught but that which already lies half asleep in the dawning of your knowledge.<br><br>The teacher who walks in the shadow of the temple, among his followers, gives not of his wisdom but rather of his faith and his lovingness.<br><br>If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of his wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind."<br><br>- Kahlil Gibran <br><br><br>"All Faith is false, all Faith is True<br>Truth is the shattered mirrors strewn<br>In myriad bits; while each believes<br>his little bit the whole to own."<br><br>- Kasidah of Haji el-Yezdi
Tracey
Registered Member

Postby vibeorange on Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:54 am

:D  Tracey....Love it! Love it! Love it!<br><br><br>AnneGS<br>What a nice jesture to give your clients inspiring quotes.  <br><br>Powerful & enlightening quotes can come from a myriad of sources, from wise elders, out of the mouth of babes, books, poetry...you name it.<br><br>Hopefully others on this board will share also.
vibeorange
Fresh Hands

Postby scavengerheart on Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:08 pm

I have hundreds, but will start with 3:<br><br>If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees!<br><br>If man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.  Henry David Thoreau(sp)<br><br>He didn't call them The Ten Suggestions.<br><br>Scav
scavengerheart
Registered Member

Postby touchabilities on Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:45 pm

"Truth is stranger than friction." - Lisa Douglas, character from the sitcom Green Acres.<br>                            
Elvira
touchabilities
Registered Member

Postby terab on Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:43 pm

"Progress isn't made by early risers.  It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something."  Robert Heinlein<br><br>"We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give." Winston Churchill<br><br>"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."  Eleanor Roosevelt<br><br>"In order to be walked on, you have to be lying down."  Brian Weir<br><br>  "Fans don't boo nobodies."  Reggie Jackson<br><br>  "The road to Easy Street goes through the sewer." John Madden<br><br>I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.  George Carlin<br><br>I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  Bill Cosby<br>
terab
Registered Member

Postby HappyBug on Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:03 pm

I have many books of quotes...love them.<br><br>"Our words have the power to build up or to tear down"<br><br>"If you've gotten to the door, you shouldn't doubt you can open it"<br><br>"Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug"<br><br>"All the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today"<br><br>"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength"<br><br>"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow"<br><br><br>Diane<br>
If you've gotten to the door, you shouldn't doubt you can open it.
HappyBug
Registered Member

Postby Manaworker on Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:40 am

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servert.  We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."  Albert Einstein<br><br>"Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling."  Margaret Lee Rienback<br><br>"The value of a man resides in what he gives and not in what he is capable receiving."  Einstein<br><br>"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, you think it's only a minute.  But when you sit on a hot stove for a minute, you think it's two hours. That's relativity."  Einstein<br><br>"Intense love does not measure;  it just gives."  Mother Teresa<br><br>"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."  Mother Teresa<br><br>"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are."  Mother Teresa<br><br>I could easily go on.  Great topic.  I'm enjoying all these quotes. The ol' English major in me is eating this up.  Anne
Manaworker
Registered Member

Postby nybor7 on Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:55 pm

The following has been my email signature for a long time.<br><br><br>"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live a life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." <br><br>Henry David Thoreau
r e l a x - South Carolina
nybor7
Registered Member

Postby leah0776 on Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:16 pm

What a great idea Anne to give out the quotes. I love that!! <br><br>Here are two I have on my bulletin board:<br><br>"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss it you will land among the stars." <br>-Les Brown<br><br>"Just to be is a blessing. Just to live is holy."<br>-Abraham Joshua Heschel<br>
leah0776
Registered Member

Postby StressSolutions on Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:29 pm

You can't have everything, where would you put it?
StressSolutions

Postby maestra on Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:59 pm

Love this thread. *grin* I've collected cool quotes for years too.<br><br>"It's a trade secret, but I'll tell you anyway, all healing is self-healing." - Albert Schweitzer<br><br>"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." - W. A. Nance<br><br>"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others, can not keep it from themselves." - James Matthew Barrie<br>
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby Kneadfulthings on Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:04 am

LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!!!<br><br>These quotes helped me tremendously while growing my practice (got me through the tough times when I thought I would never make any money)<br><br>"Be happy with what you have, while working towards what you want"<br><br>"It's all good in the end.  If it's not good, it's not the end."<br><br>"Until you are challenged, you never know how good you really are"<br><br>"You are what you think you are.  What do you think you are?  (Fabulous!)<br><br>"But don't always believe everything you think!"<br><br>This one helps me with regret:<br><br>"At the time, I did the best I knew how to do.  When I knew better, I did better"  (Maya Angelou, I think)<br><br>This help me with trying not to pass judgement:<br><br>"When you point the finger at someone, there are 3 pointing back at you."<br><br>"The grass may be greener on the other side, but it also requires more fertilizer, water and mowing."<br><br>And this one I am using now to try to curb my workaholic ways...<br><br>"The future is no place to hold better days" (Dave Mathews)
Barter for bodywork, lotion, travel ... even CEU's!

http://www.bodyworkshops.com
Destination: Success! Create your perfect practice!
Kneadfulthings
Registered Member

Postby maestra on Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:14 am

The difference between Massage Therapists and those who provide unethical "extras" is that we know -<br><br>"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined in one hour." - Japanese Proverb<br><br>These next 2 are some of my personal favorites:<br><br>"Two important things are to have a genuine interest in people and to be kind to them. Kindness, I've learned is everything." - Isaac Bashevis Singer<br><br>"Measure your success, not by how many people you know, but by how many lives you've touched." - Anonymous<br><br>
maestra
Site Admin

Postby jewelalchemy on Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:52 am

My current favorite is in my sig line below, but I have a few others.<br><br>To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else.<br>Emily Dickinson<br><br>To move freely you must be deeply rooted.<br>Bella Lewitzky<br><br>Anais Nin is an eternal inspiration...<br>Living never wore me out so much as the effort not to live.<br><br>...and the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.<br><br>Jill
"As inner transformation occurs, it is necessary to continuously reidentify with that which is being birthed instead of that which is falling away" Katrina Raphaell
"Practice is hard because it is easy, unimaginably so, like the flower blooming."
jewelalchemy
Registered Member

Postby ^Brittney^ on Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:53 am

...and the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. <br><br>That one has always been my favorite!  Thanks Jill.<br><br>Here are a few that I found inspirational..<br><br><br>Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart of man go together.<br>-   John Ruskin<br><br>The best and most beautiful things in the world <br>cannot be seen or even touched. They must be <br>felt with the heart.<br>-   Helen Keller<br><br>When you touch a body, you touch the whole person, <br>the intellect, the spirit, and the emotions.<br>-  Jane Harrington<br><br>He who feels it, knows it more.<br>-   Bob Marley<br><br><br><br><br>
Peace,

Britttney

\"You must be the change you want to see in the world.\" Gandhi
^Brittney^
Fresh Hands

Postby LMT946 on Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:42 pm

My two personal favorites: <br><br>For those of us who struggle to be understood concisely, <br><br>--I would have written a shorter letter if I had more time: -- Mark Twain<br><br>and my alltime favorite, though I don't remember the author: <br><br>Great minds talk about Ideas. <br>Average Minds talks about events. <br>Small Minds talk about people. <br>
LMT946
Fresh Hands

Postby vibeorange on Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:40 am

<br>Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again."  <br>James R. Cook<br><br><br><br>Poem by Hafez<br><br>The angels knocked at the tavern-door last night,  <br>With man's clay, they kneaded the cup outright.  <br>The dwellers of God's heavenly abode,  <br>Drank wine with me-a beggar of the road.  <br><br>Heaven could not bear this wonderful trust,  <br>That to a madman this honor was thrust.  <br><br>Disputes of religions is but a false pretense,  <br>Having not seen the Truth, they speak nonsense.  <br><br>Thank God!  There is peace between Him and me. <br><br>
vibeorange
Fresh Hands

Postby yoginilmt on Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:36 pm

How I love Hafiz!  Glad you posted that, Vibeorgange.<br><br><br>A few of my favorite quotes:<br><br><br>"We are not merely human beings having a spiritual experience, but rather spiritual beings having a human experience."  Pierre Teilhard de Chardin<br><br><br>"The poor long for riches<br>The rich long for heaven<br>But the wise desire tranquility."<br>(author unknown)<br><br><br>"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned in order to have the life that is waiting for us."<br>author unknown<br><br><br>"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart.<br>Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakens."  Carl Jung<br><br><br>"Every now and then go away, have a little relaxation.  For when you come back to your work, your judgment will be surer.  Go some distance away because then the work appears smaller, and more of it can be taken in at a glance, and a lack of harmony and proportion is more readily seen."  Leonardo da Vinci<br><br><br>"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened."  Anatole France<br><br><br>"When you come to the edge of all the light you know and you are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen.  There will be something solid for you to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly."  (author unknown)<br><br><br>"Where there is no vision, the people perish."<br>Proverbs 29:18<br><br><br>"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."  -- T. S. Eliot<br><br><br>"It's not so much that we're afraid of change or so in love with the old ways, but it's the place in between that we fear.  It's like being between trapezes.  It's Linus when his blanket is in the dryer. There's nothing to hold on to."   Marilyn Ferguson<br><br><br>"I haven't failed.  I've found 10,000 ways that don't work."  Ben Franklin<br><br><br>"Life's door, love's door, God's door -- they all open when you are playful.  They all become closed when you become serious."  Osho<br><br><br>"The arrival of a good clown exercises more beneficial influence upon the health of a town than twenty asses laden with drugs."  Thomas Sydenham<br>                              <br><br>"We tend to confuse the good life with a life of goods."  Simon Schama<br><br><br><br><br>
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
yoginilmt
Fresh Hands

Postby maestra on Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:38 pm

"To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides."<br>- David Viscott, MD<br><br>"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is liking what you get." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr<br><br>"Think big thoughts, but relish small pleasures." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr<br><br>"Courage is very important. Like a muscle, it is strengthened by use." - Ruth Gordon<br><br>"I'd rather be a failure at something I enjoy than be a success at something I hate." - George Burns<br><br>"If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right." - Mary Kay Ash<br><br>"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." <br>-Margaret Thatcher<br><br>"Good friends are good for your health." - Irwin Sarason<br><br>"The absolute fundamental aim is to make money out of satisfying customers." - Sir John Egan<br><br>"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves." - James Matthew Barrie<br>
maestra
Site Admin

Postby Sadiedawn on Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:57 pm

These two come from me...<br><br>May you be fully immersed in the lessons of your life.<br><br>and<br><br>Life is more than climbing to the top, it's having the courage to jump when you get there!
Polarity Practitioner, Transformational Coach, Hypnotherapist, Soul Portrait Composer
Sadiedawn
Registered Member

Postby Ladyja on Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:40 am

Some of my favorites:<br> <br>   If you want to see what your thoughts were like yesterday....look at your body today.<br>    If you want to see what your body will be like tomorrow..........look at your thoughts today.<br>                                               Unknown<br><br>  If a man insisted always on being serious and never allowed himself a bit of fun and relaxation.  <br>  He would go mad or become unstable without knowing it.    Herodotus<br><br>  If you've had the opportunity to have a Golden Retriever in your life.........you life will never be the same.<br>                                         Betty White<br><br>Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most import.                                                         Jane Lane<br><br>The forgiving state of mind is a magnetic power for attracting good.                            Catherine Ponder<br><br>How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong.  Because someday in life you will have been all of these.                  George Washington Carver<br>                                                                                      The purpose of all the major religious traditions is not to construct big temples on the outside, <br>but to create temples of goodness and compassion inside, in our hearts.     The Dalai Lama<br><br><br><br>
Ladyja
Registered Member

Postby Gaspen on Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:25 am

Good thread. Here's my (slightly off center) contribution:<br><br>From one of the Dinosaurs characters (a two-season show): Got to loven 'em. Can't kill 'em.<br><br>From me: Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, wore it out, and using it as a dust rag.<br><br>Unknown: Enemies are secret friends waiting to bloom.
Glad ta meetcha...I'm your handy man.
www.SpencerMassage.com
Gaspen
Registered Member

Next

Return to Off the Table Topics