Inspiration, Creativity and Massage

Meet and greet, discuss non-bodywork topics, and make new friends in the world of bodywork. A place to "let your hair down"!

Moderator: maestra

The Art of Massage

Postby Blisss on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:40 am

Macalla wrote:

I also appraoch every massage as if it might be my last one. I never phone it in. I am always excited to do it. No matter what is going on in the world or in my life as soon as I put my hands on someone "I'm there!" In the pocket....Like Eva Cassidy when she opens her soul in "Fields of Gold."

One of my clients introduced me to Eva Cassidy this year. He brought a different one of her CD's to consecutive massage appointments until I'd heard them all. I'm so grateful -- it was one of the best tips I've ever received. She sings famous songs and old standards that have literally been sung by hundreds of others, yet when I hear her sing, it's completely original. It feels like I'm hearing Music for the very first time. Brand new and breathtakingly beautiful. Every time.

It's a wonderful parallel for massage. When we stay fully present and put our best energy, technique and compassion into the massage, our clients feel it. Which is why some new clients say, "I've received a lot of massage therapy in my life from very proficient practitioners. Yet this session with you was the best massage I've ever received." Even better is when an old client, who you've been seeing for years, steps out of the treatment room with a dazed and joyfully surprised look on their face and says, "I've always loved your work and didn't see how you could improve, yet you do. That was the best massage you've ever given me."

For me, the more I put into each massage, and the more I grow myself, the more joy I receive from the massages I give. How blessed we are to do this work!
Blisss
Registered Member

Postby macalla on Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:56 am

deleted
Last edited by macalla on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Baby, I don't care."
macalla
Registered Member

Postby Blisss on Mon May 08, 2006 6:13 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Blisss on Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blisss
Registered Member

Postby maestra on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:05 am

Bump, come on... I know there's got to be more awesome and creative massage therapists in the membership of BWOL.

Come out, come out, where ever you are... :wink:
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby MassageAlumni.com on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:39 pm

great post....I would like to share a talk I saw on YouTube from TedTalks. It is a great talk on creativity. I hope everyone who watches enjoys.

I did.

Rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86x-u-tz0MA
Rob West
Founder of
http://www.MassageAlumni.com -"Internet Marketing for Massage Professionals"
MassageAlumni.com
Registered Member

Re: Inspiration, Creativity and Massage

Postby maestra on Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:07 pm

Saw this today and thought that elsewhere might enjoy it.

Music as Medicine: Docs use tunes as treatment:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30990170/
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby JasonE on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:49 pm

Every time I see a client and afterwards they leave with something still hurting, or not working right, or posturally distorted, etc... I know that I must continue to improve. There may be limits to what can I can do with bodywork, but how far can those limits be pushed?

Mediocre is failure. Competency is a minimum. Complacency is damnation.

Anatomy and physiology are the ultimate teachers. Everything of therapeutic use works with the body, not against it. Science is a filter. Inspiration is the seed of motivation. Always be willing to accept that something previously learned may be wrong, and often is. Never forget that brand-name gurus are fallible humans in search of a buck with turf to protect. Be critical and expect the same in return. Have confidence in yourself, but be humble enough to accept new truths. Never mistake kindness for weakness. Cultivate your strength so you can truly be kind instead of merely weak.

Become great.

"I saw the angel in the marble and chiseled until I set it free." - Michaelangelo
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby Chloe309 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:38 pm

I find that painting helps me release stesss. I like watercolors and acrylics. I tend to do this occasionally when I have the winter blahs. I just break out my paints and start painting. I also love to listen to music. I started trying to play guitar but have lost the desire. I think it is because I borrowed the guitar from a friend for a few weeks and had to give it back. It is hard to teach your self to play an instrument in that short of a time frame!
Chloe309
Fresh Hands

Postby karmstrong on Wed May 25, 2011 9:07 am

As in any discipline, massage also offers a wide array of techniques we can offer to exude our creativity. I really believe that there is an art to massage, though you are to follow a specific set of points to hit.

In massage, we are to touch lives and try to break barriers hindering us and the clients and we have to do that in a very creative way.
karmstrong
Fresh Hands

Previous

Return to Off the Table Topics