Volunteer Work

Meet and greet, discuss non-bodywork topics, and make new friends in the world of bodywork. A place to "let your hair down"!

Moderator: maestra

SaraBellam
Fresh Hands

Volunteer Work

Post by SaraBellam » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:49 pm

Thank you, everyone, for responding to my questions about environmentalism in your practice. I've implemented many of your ideas in my own practice.

Here's another question for you. What kind of volunteer work do you offer the community? How many hours per week or month? Where do you go? What is the most satisfying aspect of the work for you?

This is great. I need help becoming a better person who isn't so focused on her own wants. I've been such a selfish bee-yotch most of my life and I can do so much better!

Bobblehead
Registered Member

Post by Bobblehead » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:58 pm

Volunteer work > advertising.
I do athletic events, charity fund raisers and work with the elderly.
"Be who you are and say what feel, because those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
Theodor Geisel

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Post by Rose of Sharon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:44 pm

My volunteer work is separate from my business identity. As a business, I volunteer once a month in a nursing home and once a year for Relay for Life. I have found that is what I can enjoy doing and neither has the mentality that I owe it to them.
Sharon

Convoluted
Registered Member

Post by Convoluted » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:39 pm

I don't volunteer my massage, but I do volunteer my time at the local animal shelters. There are times it's once a week for 4 hours and other times it's just once a month. I spend time with the kitties the most and have also cleaned their kennel and assisted in surgery prep.

Ouch
Fresh Hands

Post by Ouch » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:48 pm

I've found my volunteer work is best kept separate from my business identity, as well. It's interesting that I don't know anyone who volunteers massage, and so far no one on this board does either...But your question jogged something in my brain today that could help me change gears.

I give manicures & pedicures to the elderly at a nursing home one morning a week. My favorite part about it is seeing the pride they feel just having their fingers and toes "look pretty" when they're not used to being pampered. I've also brought some potential health issues to the staff's attention. Feet are very telling of our general health.

A few months ago a client who I helped stop smoking asked me to volunteer to do hypnosis at her clinic. It offers free mental health services to the uninsured. At the time I was too busy and not thinking about changing in this direction. Perhaps it would be a good way to connect with the mental health community & gain valuable experience in a new field while helping others! I think I'll give her a call tomorrow.

Bobblehead
Registered Member

Post by Bobblehead » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:01 pm

Ouch wrote:I've found my volunteer work is best kept separate from my business identity, as well. It's interesting that I don't know anyone who volunteers massage, and so far no one on this board does either..
Maybe i was not clear, i give away massage as volunteer work.
Bobblehead wrote: Volunteer work > advertising.
I do athletic events, charity fund raisers and work with the elderly.
Here is a partial list of the places i have given or will give free massages at this year,

Tinman Triathlon,
Honolulu Marathon,
AHA Heart Walk,
Honolulu Lifeguards Paddleboard Race,
Sonny's 4th Annual WABDL,
Windward Senior Daycare,
Kaneohe Senior Center etc...

This is my advertising budget.
I got recognized on the street and offered a job at a Clark Hatch Fitness Center last week(declined for now) because of this type of advertising.
"Be who you are and say what feel, because those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
Theodor Geisel

joshuatenpenny
Registered Member

Post by joshuatenpenny » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:04 am

I'm not able to do it this year, but next year I plan on doing volunteer massage at the local hospice organization. It is something I'd do anyway because it is important to me, but I'm talking to my boss about doing it as a representative of our office, as a promotional thing.

-- Joshua

alohatexas
Fresh Hands

Post by alohatexas » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:41 am

I volunteer as a massage therapist with Relay for Life. I also am on a volunteer massage therapy team who works with kiddos living with serious cardiac issues.

I love, love, love volunteering my services!
Hakuna Matata~

Return to “Off the Table Topics”