What book(s) are on your nightstand?

Meet and greet, discuss non-bodywork topics, and make new friends in the world of bodywork. A place to "let your hair down"!

Moderator: maestra

Savannah Bloom
Registered Member

What book(s) are on your nightstand?

Post by Savannah Bloom » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:34 pm

Just finished "Water for Elephants", which was fascinating. It's an interesting read in the same vein as "Sea Biscuit", because the research into the era is so thorough. Both by women authors, which I lean towards.

Anyone else just read, or currently reading, a gem?

savannah
"Saved by the dog. Really!"

EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Post by EgoMagickian » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:30 pm

I'm currently reading Pharmako/Gnosis: Plant Teachers and the Poison Path, the third book in the Pharmako trilogy by Dale Pendell. I haven't read the others... they are mainly about plant medicines/poisons, and blend first and third person experience of the plants with poetry, literature, history, science art, and more.

stonegirl

Post by stonegirl » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:43 am

I've just started "Tell Me Where It Hurts" - (oy, I'd have to get up to look at the author!)
it's written by a veterinarian surgeon. I'm only on the first chapter and have already cried :oops: I'm such a sucker for doggy stories! It was lent to me by a client, such a sweetheart.

merlescuz
Retired Moderator

Post by merlescuz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:45 am

I've got 3 going; "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan, an anti-diet diet book, "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" by David Sadaris and "The Wisdom Of Yoga" by Stephen Cope. I like to have a variety to choose from, based on how I'm feeling.
"Luck is a matter of preparation meeting oppurtunity"
Oprah Winfrey

www.turtledancebodywork.com

merlescuz
Retired Moderator

Post by merlescuz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:49 am

I've got 3 going rright now:
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sadaris for humor
In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan to remind me of what I Should be eating....
and The Wisdom of Yoga by Stephen Cope for inspiration.
"Luck is a matter of preparation meeting oppurtunity"
Oprah Winfrey

www.turtledancebodywork.com

NC_kneader
Retired Moderator

Post by NC_kneader » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:24 pm

"The Alchemist" by Paolo Coelho, a wonderful tale about following your dreams and "A Road More (or less) Traveled"
by Otis & Roberts, the true story of two guys who hiked the Appalachian Trail (AT) lol, I actually bartered a chair massage to Mr. Otis for the book and it was worth it!

What I read every morning on a daily basis is the online journal of a hiker known as Stumpknocker who is currently hiking the Long Trail in Vermont, but has also completed a cross-country bicycle trip and most of a north-bound hike of the AT this year.

MassageAlumni.com
Registered Member

Re: What book(s) are on your nightstand?

Post by MassageAlumni.com » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:21 pm

Savannah Bloom wrote:Just finished "Water for Elephants", which was fascinating. It's an interesting read in the same vein as "Sea Biscuit", because the research into the era is so thorough. Both by women authors, which I lean towards.

Anyone else just read, or currently reading, a gem?

savannah
Hi Savannah,

I have read and am reading again "The Divine Matrix" by Gregg Braden. The book deals with quantum theory and the latest scientific developments within the field.

I am fascinated with energy work and I think this book offers a great scientific explanation as to how energy work actually works. It is not a massage therapy book at all but the information is mind blowing when it comes to potential application within massage therapy and energy work. I would higly recommend this book.

I am from the "Show Me" state so that may explain my inquisitiveness on the subject of energy work.

You can also see some video of Gregg Braden on YouTube talking about "The Divine Matrix" Great Stuff. :D
Rob West
Founder of
http://www.MassageAlumni.com -"Internet Marketing for Massage Professionals"

Ding
Registered Member

Post by Ding » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:03 am

Well, I don't read in bed, because my hubby goes to sleep earlier than I do, so my "nightstand" is actually the table next to my comfy recliner .... :grin: ... but anywho ... I've got three on there right now:

"Finding Anna" - the true story behind the song "It Is Well With My Soul" [an amazing story, if you have any interest!]

"Couples Who Pray" - the statistics on marital satisfaction for couples who pray together are awesome. Includes real-life input from famous couples that include Denzel Washington, Scott Hamilton, Gavin Macleod [remember Love Boat??] -- there are more 'famous' couples, I just forgot for now, who all tried the "40 Day Prayer challenge", which challenges couples to commit to praying together daily for 40 days and see how their lives/relationship changes.

"Jesus for President"

I don't have the books nearby, but I could get the authors if anybody's interested.
- Heidi

cstbrian
Registered Member

Post by cstbrian » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:31 am

My last two books were actually audio books downloaded to my iPod ... so I hope they still count. ;)

This month's listening so far was:
Money and the Law of Attraction: Learning to Attract Health, Wealth & Happiness
The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent

Both of which are from the Teachings of Abraham by Esther and Jerry Hicks
Brian

"Life isn't about finding yourself ... life is about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
"When we try to control that which is out of our control, we become an incredibly anxiety prone society." Dr. John Upledger

jacqueline
Registered Member

Post by jacqueline » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:31 am

on my nightstand I have the Bible, and a book called Moose about a little girl (true story) who was always fat her whole life and went to fat camps etc..and it's sad..my daughter read it and wanted me to read it too. And then of course I have a massage magazine! :)

holley
Registered Member

corn

Post by holley » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:02 am

Just read "Omnivores Dilemna" and found it it be an education and a delight to read. Any one else read it?
'Every Day is a god, each day a goddess and holiness pours forth in time."

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:04 am

Animal Speak by Ted Andrews and a notepad & pen. :D

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:27 pm

A few "Survival" books - one which is:

"How to Stay Alive in the Woods"
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

kathryn
Registered Member

Post by kathryn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:39 am

I enjoy reading that survival stuff too! Am even thinking of one day doing one of those survivial training courses--- I would actually find it enjoyable (as long as it wasn't for real!). I used to camp for months at a time with just a tarp, rope, plastic bag of matches, cooking pot and pounds of rice & beans. Now that I'm in my mid-thirties, my body doesn't want to be sleeping on the ground so much now.

If you like that Pueppi,you might also enjoy Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales and the US Air Force has a great thick survivial manual.

I just finished Shadows in the Sun by Wade Davis -- he's a great writer if you're into cultural anthropology. Now I am reading The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge, really fascinating info and studies about the plasticity of the brain and how that helps those who have been thought to lose the control of their nervous systems.

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:58 am

kathryn wrote:... my body doesn't want to be sleeping on the ground so much now.

If you like that Pueppi,you might also enjoy Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales and the US Air Force has a great thick survivial manual.
Thanks! Yep, I know what you mean about not so hip on sleeping on the ground anymore. I thought I'd never get to that in my thought processes.

Thanks to all for the book info, too.... I've seen some things I am thinking about grabbing next time I am at the bookstore. :)

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:38 am

pueppi wrote:A few "Survival" books - one which is:

"How to Stay Alive in the Woods"
You have no idea how fortuitous this is! I am getting ready to start my journey with K-9 SAR. I will want to check this book out, as well as kathryn's pick.

Savannah Bloom
Registered Member

Post by Savannah Bloom » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:49 am

Kindred Spirits wrote:
You have no idea how fortuitous this is! I am getting ready to start my journey with K-9 SAR. I will want to check this book out, as well as kathryn's pick.

(Ohhhhh! I took an introductory class in canine search and rescue many years ago. My dog was probably smart enough to do it, but I was out of my league. It was fascinating though!)

:smt031 My fave fluffy reading are mysteries, written by women authors. (Don't know why). One of my favorites is Laurie R. King. I was introduced to her books many years ago because a girlfriend picked one up at the library and happened to read the author's bio on the jacket and noticed that we were close enough of a resemblance that we could have been sisters. Met her in person once, and it's not so noticeable (she's way taller and thinner than I), but the jacket photo next to a photo of me is uncanny. I actually mailed it to Mom and asked if there was something she wasn't telling me! Ha! That got me a slap upside the head! :smt031

I'm getting some good ideas for a reading list! Thanks everyone that has been posting.........keep it coming! :smt038 savannah

Bobblehead
Registered Member

Post by Bobblehead » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:40 pm

Energy Medicine in Therapeutics and Human Performance, James Oschman;
Job's Body, Deane Juhan:
Cryptonomicon, Neal Stephenson.
"Be who you are and say what feel, because those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
Theodor Geisel

Sandyolmt
Registered Member

Post by Sandyolmt » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:06 am

Eat, Pray, Love!!! Haven't finished it yet though.
"Inspiring YOU to Live a Happier Tranquil Life"
http://tranquility-my.com

AnastasiaB
Registered Member

Post by AnastasiaB » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:17 am

The Energy Experiments, Tibetan Book of the Dead, The Only Psychic Book You Will Ever Need [after I've already read/owned 12 others!], Te Seat of The Soul, The Alexandria Link, and last but not least, What Would Buddha Do?

There are always at least 5 or 6 books in progress around here.... just a bit ADD sometimes.....LOL
Anastasia B

Be who you are and say what you feel, because people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind. - Theodore S. Geisel - [Dr. Seuss][

www.mymassageworks.embarqspace.com

Savannah Bloom
Registered Member

Post by Savannah Bloom » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Hmmmmmmmm. I'm not reading anything too intellectual these days it seems.......I jsut stocked up at the library and got about eight books on how to grow stuff in a green house environment, and one extremely fascinating book on working with concrete to make garden art! My daddy was a cement truck driver and made wonderful poured concrete pathways when I was a kid, and I've been thinking of giving it a go myself.
The nightstand only contains novels though. I have to read most nights before I go to sleep, and it's gotta be entertainment. And preferably soft cover. I drop the book in my face frequently............
savannah :shocked:

Trae
Registered Member

Post by Trae » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:00 am

"The 33 yr old Rookie" by Chris Coste. I'm a sports nut and a HUGE Phillies fan.

cy
Registered Member

Post by cy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:27 am

Eat Pray Love was a fantastic book. Gotta check out the new Wade Davis sometime - loved Serpent and the Rainbow.

I'm afraid that I'm more ADD than Anastasia - I could list about 30 books that I am "in the process of" reading. But I won't, will just hit the highlights:

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (always up for a good vampire read, runs in my blood...literally)
Touching Enlightenment by Reginald Ray (buddhist fix)
Translucent Revolution by Arjuna Ardagh (hippie fix)
Coffinman by Shinmon Aoki (slightly morbid gift)
Communicating: The Multiple Modes of Human Interconnection by Ruth Finnegan (revisiting my anthropological roots)
Medicine Hands: Massage Therapy for People with Cancer by Gayle MacDonald (MT stuff. 3rd read, refreshing for upcoming class I'm assisting)
"The purpose of our lives is to be happy."
H.H. the Dalai Lama

Bodhih Bodywork
Furthering Wellness with Awareness
www.bodhihbodywork.com

joshuatenpenny
Registered Member

Post by joshuatenpenny » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:53 pm

I'm in school for Shiatsu right now, so it is all school books. Top of the list is Giovanni's Foundations of Chinese Medicine, which I seem to carry everywhere even though it weighs a ton.

Also Yoga Anatomy by Kaminoff, because my old Yoga teacher came up to me last month and asked me to teach 10 hours of musculoskeletal A&K to her students. I've taught a lot of workshops before, but this will be new for me.

-- Joshua

holley
Registered Member

ah, books

Post by holley » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:46 pm

"The Courage to Teach" by Parker Palmer. The author has a felicity, in both perception and presentation, that inspires and illuminates. Imagine Savannah to be perusing
"Wherever You Go, There you Are".....
'Every Day is a god, each day a goddess and holiness pours forth in time."

Return to “Off the Table Topics”