Suggestion: Private members section.

Read about the latest happenings of our site. Also the place for board members to let admin know of account problems, posting problems, troll posts, etc. Please include a link to the post and/or a description of the problem.

Moderator: Section Moderators

boofdorf
Registered Member

Post by boofdorf » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:36 am

I agree! :D
The early worm is for the birds.

Masthera
Retired Site Admin

Post by Masthera » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:54 am

The chat room option has been put on the backburner till we can get the ok to do the upgrade for the board. The less modifications that are added prior to the board upgrade the better chance there will be no issues.

The private section was in discussion, but with some of the personal things going on with both me and Intuitouch it too has been left to be delt with later.

Please continue your discussion about this and hopefully we can add it in soon.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."
- Henry Ford

razor
Registered Member

disenfranchisement

Post by razor » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:55 am

I too would be concerned about being left out. I post from time to time, but I certainly don't have a huge number of posts like some people here. Still, I'm pithy when I do write. I'm still classified as "fresh hands" because of a relatively low number of posts though I'm 14 years in with the profession.

I'm very pleased with the range of experience and opinions on this forum as it is and trolls seem to be dealt with quickly. If a topic is truly too sensitive for posting on a public forum, is it something that might be better dealt with by other support/information systems? In other words, would it be better to phone a friend or talk with other therapists personally rather than post to the internet?

Also, how does the community grow if you don't foster students and newer therapists? If it's just about long-term posters, doesn' t the group become insular? Organic holism would dictate that if something isn't growing it is dying. I'm having a hard time envisioning a private members area that wouldn't hurt the board in the long term. Maybe I'm missing somethng here.

moogie
Site Admin

Re: disenfranchisement

Post by moogie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:11 am

razor wrote:I too would be concerned about being left out. I post from time to time, but I certainly don't have a huge number of posts like some people here. Still, I'm pithy when I do write. I'm still classified as "fresh hands" because of a relatively low number of posts though I'm 14 years in with the profession.

I'm very pleased with the range of experience and opinions on this forum as it is and trolls seem to be dealt with quickly. If a topic is truly too sensitive for posting on a public forum, is it something that might be better dealt with by other support/information systems? In other words, would it be better to phone a friend or talk with other therapists personally rather than post to the internet?

Also, how does the community grow if you don't foster students and newer therapists? If it's just about long-term posters, doesn' t the group become insular? Organic holism would dictate that if something isn't growing it is dying. I'm having a hard time envisioning a private members area that wouldn't hurt the board in the long term. Maybe I'm missing somethng here.
This would be my concern as well.

I think a chat area would be great though!

Angie

wellnessgarden
Registered Member

Post by wellnessgarden » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:12 am

I'm in the same boat with razor. I've only been a member since June, but have lurked previously, and still lurk more than I post. I've been a therapist for 18 years.
What I find happening..I'll check posts, see one I want to reply to but then get sidetracked with clients, kids, dog, etc....then when I get back to post there have been a number of good and useful posts that I don't need to add to, that wouldn't be just racking up post amounts. So at this rate it will probably take me awhile to achieve any amount of posts.
That being said, I appreciate the amount of time people spend making good posts. I suppose for myself if I wanted to be part of a private area, I would set aside more time to spend on the board, so I would be better known and trusted.

wellnessgarden
www.beverlylintonmassage.com

Be Impeccable with Your Word~Don't Take Anything Personally~Don't Make Assumptions~Always Do Your Best....."The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz

BJB-LMP
Registered Member

Post by BJB-LMP » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:26 pm

I wouldn't worry about it - I'm on a number of boards w/private areas and the boards aren't hurt at all. I'm not worried about a private area becoming the place where an "in" crowd hangs out, either - god knows I'm not part of one (if there is one!) and that doesn't bother me. I'm just talking about an area where definitely ONLY other MTs come in. I don't think someone needs a high post count to establish that.

I don't really find chat to be an alternative, since when I'm on there are invariably almost no other registered people also on (how does that happen? :P ) Although hurray to the mods for taking on that technological challenge - eventually - when things are more settled!
-Beccy

Cosmic Adminhelper
Retired Site Admin

Post by Cosmic Adminhelper » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:21 am

Private Section added Feb 2007.

See: Sticky: Private forum now available - please read.

Return to “News & Troubleshooting”