All the spam lately...

Read about the latest happenings of our site. Also the place for board members to let admin know of account problems, posting problems, troll posts, etc. Please include a link to the post and/or a description of the problem.

Moderator: Section Moderators

All the spam lately...

Postby moose_goose on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:11 pm

Is there anything the board admins or owners can do about all the spam? It's getting to be seriously irritating. Anything you can do with the settings to make it just a little more difficult for them?
I don't ever remember it being this bad!!

Thanks!
moose_goose
Registered Member

Re: All the spam lately...

Postby MarionFM on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:09 pm

The spam squishers are doing all we can - I go in several times a day to delete spam amd ban the spammers - but they have just been bombarding us.
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby moose_goose on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:12 pm

MarionFM wrote:The spam squishers are doing all we can - I go in several times a day to delete spam amd ban the spammers - but they have just been bombarding us.

Thanks Marion!
moose_goose
Registered Member

Postby riversinger on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Thank you Marion! You deserve a medal for all you've done! :smt008
The song of the spirit is as the song
of the river, on a journey back to source.
riversinger

Postby peacenut on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:00 pm

If you are going to go through all the work of squishing the spammers, I think it may be time to approve new members before they are allowed to post. I mean, if you are going to have to do the work anyway, you might as well have new members go through an approval process. A lot of boards make you do it now adays anyway. Chances are by pre-approving members before they are allowed to post you will end up having less work to do.

I have not seen this kind of spam on other active boards which pre-approve members. They come do their thing and then are never seen again, so it doesn't bother them one bit that you delete their accounts because they don't intend to visit the board again.
I'd let you watch, I would invite you, but the queens we use would not excite you.
peacenut
Registered Member

Postby riversinger on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:44 am

I second Peacenut. I've spent hours the past couple of weeks, attempting to curtail the rash of spam & seriously have other things that need time & attention then coming on multiple times a day to do so. This needs to be dealt with in a way that works.
The song of the spirit is as the song
of the river, on a journey back to source.
riversinger

Postby maestra on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:22 am

All the Mods & Admin team are doing what they can to steam the tide of spam ('tis the season)... while we await help from our Tech Admin.
It is important to remember that all of the Moderators & Admins have practices, jobs, responsibilities outside of volunteering to help run the forum here @ BWOL.

I for one would like to publicly thank our Moderator staff for all they do to help around here at BWOL. :smt056
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby moose_goose on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:11 am

maestra wrote:All the Mods & Admin team are doing what they can to steam the tide of spam ('tis the season)... while we await help from our Tech Admin.
It is important to remember that all of the Moderators & Admins have practices, jobs, responsibilities outside of volunteering to help run the forum here @ BWOL.

I for one would like to publicly thank our Moderator staff for all they do to help around here at BWOL. :smt056

Thanks guys!!
moose_goose
Registered Member

Return to News & Troubleshooting