How can I delete my account?

Read about the latest happenings of our site. Also the place for board members to let admin know of account problems, posting problems, troll posts, etc. Please include a link to the post and/or a description of the problem.

Moderator: Section Moderators

How can I delete my account?

Postby localgirl on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:41 am

...can't find it in the user control panel.
localgirl
Fresh Hands

Re: How can I delete my account?

Postby moogie on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:44 pm

May I ask why you are wanting to delete the account?

Angie
moogie
Site Admin

Postby Rozax on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:12 pm

It's always nicer to have a clear-cut way to delete one's account. Typically, that's the first thing I look for in a website. I was so excited to have found a massage therapy forum when I joined up here, that I neglected to find the back door, first. Had I known that we need to ask someone in order to delete our accounts, I most probably wouldn't have joined.
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby JaeMarie on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:10 pm

Deleting accounts is usually an untidy solution to what might just be a simple problem.

If we know what the problem is, we can come up with a solution that lessens the impact to the board and flow of discussions left behind.
JaeMarie

Postby Rozax on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:30 pm

JaeMarie wrote:Deleting accounts is usually an untidy solution to what might just be a simple problem.

If we know what the problem is, we can come up with a solution that lessens the impact to the board and flow of discussions left behind.

I don't know how it works around here, but in many forums, if you delete your account, past messages are left intact. On deviantart, there's an exclamation point in front of the username of a deleted account, or another method I've seen (and prefer) is [deleted account] or some facsimile left in place of the former username. The messages remain, but dead accounts don't monopolize usernames.
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:52 am

Rozax wrote:It's always nicer to have a clear-cut way to delete one's account.

I have to agree. I have joined some places for a year or so, to test the waters, see how often I engage in conversation, see if it is a good fit... and then found they were not for me. My preference at that point is to just wash my acct. I don't care necessarily if my posts hold, but I just may not want to continue on as a member with a password out there /or whatever other info I may have needed to join, for years to come.

If someone wants to delete their account, I don't see a reason to make it difficult for them.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby holley on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:07 pm

Agree with Pueppi, surprised at this posture. Is there another reason?
'Every Day is a god, each day a goddess and holiness pours forth in time."
holley
Registered Member

Postby moogie on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:23 pm

holley wrote:Agree with Pueppi, surprised at this posture. Is there another reason?

I don't think that there is a "posture." The board is set up the way it is, there was never a discussion as to whether or not to let members delete their own accounts. We can have out technical admin look into this to see if there is a different way to have this done.

If anyone wants their accounts deleted, any of the admin can do that for them. The only reason I asked the OP as to why they wanted their account deleted was to see if there were any problems or issues that needed to be addressed.

Angie
moogie
Site Admin

Postby JaeMarie on Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm not speaking as a staff member here regarding this site in particular, but just as a general rule when it comes to the internet.

Remember that the internet is essentially forever. Never put any identifying information anywhere on the internet (even in "confidential" areas required for memberships to websites) that you feel the need to protect, unless you have weighed the benefits and agree to release that information to another entity (such as for online banking or shopping?)

When I sign up to a website, I have junk email accounts that I use (to protect my main personal account) and use screen names, initials, or other non-personally identifiable information. If I decide I want to walk away from a website, there is nothing to be left behind that I haven't intentionally placed there. Within the Terms of Service of many websites (many are rather generic forms) there is often a bunch of legal ramblings in there that we all generally agree to (yet never take the time to read) that will inform someone registering an account that the content they post may become property of the website (to varying degrees.) If you think there's a chance you way some day want to remove yourself from some association with a website, the best decision is likely to be not to register in the first place.

If you're curious, here's just one internet archiving site where you can get a glimpse of the types of information that gets saved. http://www.archive.org/web/web.php The internet is constantly crawling with bots that take snapshots of websites to help with search engines, and when they do, the pages they look at don't necessarily just up and disappear.

Sometimes a topic will be created here on BWOL, and I'll use google to look for more information. More often than not, even if the topic is only a couple hours old it'll pop up as a reference on my search.
JaeMarie

forever, hmmn

Postby holley on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:04 pm

Thanks Angie / JaeMarie for the info, I have been injudicious.
'Every Day is a god, each day a goddess and holiness pours forth in time."
holley
Registered Member

Return to News & Troubleshooting