Sold my dayspa

Help each other prosper! Share ideas, concerns and frustrations of developing your business. Share those creative marketing ideas that work! (SOAP charting, rate increases, outcalls, taxes, etc.)

Moderators: Talenyn, JLWmassage

naturalhealing
Registered Member

Sold my dayspa

Post by naturalhealing » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:52 am

nm, Just a hard transition for me. I shouldn't have posted my feelings on the www.
Re posting with big girl panties now on. LOL
It was totally weird, I have no idea how I feel. The money wasn't what we had wanted, but that wasn't really the point in selling. Less stress and getting out of a business partnership were the main reasons. Something just felt really off to me. I don't like the new owners at all, the guy wouldn't even look at me really at closing. I got stuck with some closing costs and my agent didn't even stick up for me. I spent the last 2 days cleaning and organizing and doing inventory for these people, I left them all kinds of stuff that wasn't in the contract, to give them a nice place. They don't even give a crap!! They'll probably throw everything away and start over. It just pisses me off that I tried really hard to do the right thing, and they could care less. To this guy it's just another investment, just about money. I really put my heart into that place for 5 years, I just feel disrespected.
Last edited by naturalhealing on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Re: Sold my dayspa

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:20 am

Selling your "baby" is never easy, but you are making this much harder on yourself than you need to. You are replacing one kind of stress with another.

Sounds like you need to re-evaluate your true feelings. So much of what you say is contradicted by other things you say and do.
naturalhealing wrote:The money wasn't what we had wanted, but that wasn't really the point in selling.
If it wasn't important, you would not mention it. If it's not what you wanted, then you feel disappointed/cheated/less than successful. And it's especially important to the folks on the other side of the table. That is what they respect and value, and you didn't, so you were talking different languages.

Had they paid you more than you had hoped you would probably have very different feelings.

It's always important.
naturalhealing wrote: I don't like the new owners at all, the guy wouldn't even look at me really at closing.
It's not your place to like them or not. This is a business transaction. If you care who takes over or what they do with it you should not be selling.
naturalhealing wrote: Whenever I questioned anything 5 people who are older and more business savvy pretty much ganged up on me and treated me like I was stupid. The lawyer, 2 buyers and MY agents. I am NOT STUPID!! I'm also not a lawyer, I should have had one.
Not stupid, but very foolish. Buying or selling anything of substance needs to be done professionally and safely. Of course they ganged up on you... you were defenseless and were not in it for the money.
naturalhealing wrote:I spent the last 2 days cleaning and organizing and doing inventory for these people, I left them all kinds of stuff that wasn't in the contract, to give them a nice place. They don't even give a crap!! They'll probably throw everything away and start over.
If you give something to someone for free, YOU have placed no value on it. Why should they place more value on it than you did? And why are you offended that they place the same value on it as you did -- you gave it away and they threw out something of no value. It sounds more like you are unhappy with the money you received for your effort.
naturalhealing wrote:It just pisses me off that I tried really hard to do the right thing, and they could care less. To this guy it's just another investment, just about money. I really put my heart into that place for 5 years, and I just feel totally disrespected.
Again, it sounds like your disappointment is because you did not get the value you were seeking.

What would make you feel more respected?
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"

MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by MarionFM » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:24 am

Some tough responses from R and R, but I agree.

naturalhealing
Registered Member

Post by naturalhealing » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:38 am

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:Selling your "baby" is never easy, but you are making this much harder on yourself than you need to. You are replacing one kind of stress with another.

Sounds like you need to re-evaluate your true feelings. So much of what you say is contradicted by other things you say and do.
naturalhealing wrote:The money wasn't what we had wanted, but that wasn't really the point in selling.
If it wasn't important, you would not mention it. If it's not what you wanted, then you feel disappointed/cheated/less than successful. And it's especially important to the folks on the other side of the table. That is what they respect and value, and you didn't, so you were talking different languages.

Had they paid you more than you had hoped you would probably have very different feelings.

It's always important.
naturalhealing wrote: I don't like the new owners at all, the guy wouldn't even look at me really at closing.
It's not your place to like them or not. This is a business transaction. If you care who takes over or what they do with it you should not be selling.
naturalhealing wrote: Whenever I questioned anything 5 people who are older and more business savvy pretty much ganged up on me and treated me like I was stupid. The lawyer, 2 buyers and MY agents. I am NOT STUPID!! I'm also not a lawyer, I should have had one.
Not stupid, but very foolish. Buying or selling anything of substance needs to be done professionally and safely. Of course they ganged up on you... you were defenseless and were not in it for the money.
naturalhealing wrote:I spent the last 2 days cleaning and organizing and doing inventory for these people, I left them all kinds of stuff that wasn't in the contract, to give them a nice place. They don't even give a crap!! They'll probably throw everything away and start over.
If you give something to someone for free, YOU have placed no value on it. Why should they place more value on it than you did? And why are you offended that they place the same value on it as you did -- you gave it away and they threw out something of no value. It sounds more like you are unhappy with the money you received for your effort.
naturalhealing wrote:It just pisses me off that I tried really hard to do the right thing, and they could care less. To this guy it's just another investment, just about money. I really put my heart into that place for 5 years, and I just feel totally disrespected.
Again, it sounds like your disappointment is because you did not get the value you were seeking.

What would make you feel more respected?
Well, I'm not that big on evaluating my feelings, I just feel them and move on. This is all very fresh. I am also feeling relieved, grateful that I sold at all in this economy, debt free, and looking forward to future opportunities. I also thought that MY selling agents would be helping me, they were not. I really think that my disappointment in in that they didn't act one bit happy or excited or even nice. I mean come on you could pretend to like me for 30 minutes. I honestly left my business in a condition that I would have liked to buy one in, because I thought it was the right thing to do. A simple thank you would have been nice.

TouchofGrace
Registered Member

Post by TouchofGrace » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:50 pm

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:
This has definately been a lesson I have learned since massaging these last couple of years. People will take advantage of my goodness and if I allow it to continue, I have only myself to blame.
~Sandra

Worry doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow...it empties today of its strength

Return to “Business Issues & Marketing Discussion”