Outcall massage, Male therapist?

Help each other prosper! Share ideas, concerns and frustrations of developing your business. Share those creative marketing ideas that work! (SOAP charting, rate increases, outcalls, taxes, etc.)

Moderators: Talenyn, JLWmassage

Outcall massage, Male therapist?

Postby dan27 on Sat May 19, 2012 3:05 pm

I didn't put this into Male perspective forum because I'm also seeking advice from the ladies.

After graduating massage school I was forced to move home leaving behind clients I gained in the clinic, and my circle of peers, the schools job refering program, etc. Basically forcing me to start from scratch.

I've applied for every opening that has come up in 6 months, chiros, chain and independent spas, wellness centers and gyms with no luck.
Closest I've come to employment was a chiro giving me a room for commision split but he backed out last minute for a therapist who had clients lined up.

I've come to realize if I want this to work I have to do it myself. I can't afford a rental and my living situation prevent inhome massage. This leaves me with outcall.

I plan on marketing to women, mothers in particular for a few reasion.
Men who chose male therapist, from what I've seen, do so for strength, not my strong suit.
Women make up the bulk of clients.
And most importantly, moms need it more than anyone and I know having time to get a massage doesn't mean time to go out and get one. I've been a SAHD for 8 years and know this quit well.

I'm not intimidating by any means. Been confused for a 12-14 yearold kid a few times in my day.

How do I market to these clients?
dan27
Fresh Hands

Re: Outcall massage, Male therapist?

Postby katamay on Wed May 30, 2012 4:01 pm

I don't have much advice for you (I'm female, and my clients are mostly older gay men!) but I wanted to direct you to my friend Dale, who does outcall massage, primarily with pregnant women and women with young children. His website is http://dalefavier.com, and he's really sweet about answering questions.

Hope this helps!

Kat
On my way ... LMT or Bust! http://lmtorbust.com
katamay
Registered Member

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Thu May 31, 2012 4:38 am

If your geography permits, you might want to focus on the hotel market.

From a safety perspective, being alone with a woman in her home is much more intimidating than being in a hotel room, where the hotel concierge recommended you and there are plenty of people around to hear one's screams (not that this is the goal, but this is the thought process)

The hotels we work with have the highest % of women travelers of any hotel brand in the industry, and we find over 50% of them don't care if they have a male or female therapist -- vs. male travelers who are more like 20-25% having no preference.

of course, you will have to invest a great deal of energy explaining this to the concierge, most of whom just assume a woman does not want a man in her hotel room and men don't want a male therapist.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby randomness0 on Thu May 31, 2012 12:46 pm

I do outcall massage, but do not target any particular male/female market. What worked for me was setting up a website for my mobile massage business but including other therapists listed as well (first couple of therapists that joined me were female). Whether you can subcontract or just share any business is your call. If you are handling the phone calls and bookings then give you control over the jobs that you take. Clients who call and request female therapist will never be your clients anyway so you don't lose anything in that regards.

If you can find a suitable therapists then it gives your business credibility. Regardless of how good a website looks, male therapists who advertise that only work on female therapists can look suss IMHO.

This opens up the opportunity of marketing yourself to couples (typically in my experience if you turn up with a male and female therapist for a couple 75% the male client will request the female therapist).

Good luck

Richard
========
Remedial Massage in Sydney - http://www.massagesydney.com.au
Remedial Massage Coogee - http://www.remedial-massage.com.au/coogee
randomness0
Registered Member

Postby dan27 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:19 am

Thanks for the replys thus far. I'll have to look for the good hotels. I like that idea.

And for the record I want planning on advertiseing "women only" and will work on any gender. Im just looking for ideas, for the reasion above, to market safety to women.

What make a female see an ad and think, "sounds like a good deal" vs " I don't want some creep comming here"
dan27
Fresh Hands

Postby randomness0 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:28 pm

One way of focusing on female only market is to promote on massage modalities that would have more of a female slant eg pregnancy massage, post natal massage, aromatherapy, etc and not just refer to relaxation as this may have the potential to be misconstrued.

Richard
========
Remedial Massage in Sydney - http://www.massagesydney.com.au
Remedial Massage Coogee -http://www.remedial-massage.com.au/coogee
randomness0
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:49 pm

dan27 wrote:What make a female see an ad and think, "sounds like a good deal" vs " I don't want some creep comming here"

One thing will be to have an immaculate presence - website, etc. ... it will speak volumes for your professionalism. And, knowing that you may not have much fudge-space in that area when starting out with this group/type of client.

I was told som years ago that when doing pregnancy massage, things have to be even more pristine than during regular massage and that there isn't much room for error in presentation. That includes things like smells, linens, lotions, etc. as the pregnant female has a heightened sensitivity than most other clients.

I belive if you should choose to work with this population, it would be important to keep in mind, as most of your new clients will be individuals who do not know you. So, they will most likely not be forgiving of things that a regular client would.

I don't have that immaculate kind of presence, which is why I rarely work with pregnant women who aren't already my long term and/or previous clients. I am more earthy and a little less malleable, which can be nice and comforting, but is certainly not for everyone. Especially many of those who are protecting there little unborn bundle of joy. I realize my limitations and work accordingly. :)

I've been told by one of my clients, that this gentleman is an excellent pregnancy massage therapist in Houston.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to Business Issues & Marketing Discussion