Now What?

Help each other prosper! Share ideas, concerns and frustrations of developing your business. Share those creative marketing ideas that work! (SOAP charting, rate increases, outcalls, taxes, etc.)

Moderators: Talenyn, JLWmassage

Now What?

Postby Mlewis904 on Wed May 16, 2012 9:38 am

I decided to rent that room with the other LMT in the area. Like I've said before, he wants 50% of each massage. I'm hoping there is some way to compromise, but I understand that it is his space and he can charge what he wants. I've put together a very bare bones business plan. The office has four main rooms and a reception area. There is so much potential, but the guy who owns doesn't put it high on his priority list. He teaches at the local med school, and teaches tennis. He has a hundred things going on.

So I'm putting together this book with business ideas for the office and for mobile. I wrote of list of all the places I can put my business cards, and took my cards there. I have marketing/advertising/layout idea, as well as, finical ideas. I even printed up a mock contract I found online, because he still hasn't written one up. He wants me to get him clients too...so I'm thinking I could use that to lower my rent.

Anyhow, I just don't know if it's a good idea to do all of this work. Do you think he will be open to my ideas. Has anyone else been a situation like this? We are attending a health fair on Friday, and I was thinking about showing him what I've been working on. Any information would be awesome! So glad this website exists!
Mlewis904
Fresh Hands

Re: Now What?

Postby JasonE on Wed May 16, 2012 7:45 pm

Since you are the one writing up the contract, you can put in just about anything you want, including terms under which your % would increase and to what extent. Since it sounds like you will be an Independent Contractor, be certain the contract spells out that you will be an IC and what will be provided for you vs what you will provide yourself. In general, being an IC means you work for yourself, just in the room you are renting from him. That means you will need to do your own marketing, scheduling, billing, record-keeping, etc. He doesn't get to do those things for you when you're an IC... unless the contract gives him that power.

My recommendation is that you should continue to work at the chiropractic office for a bit longer while you do the necessary research to understand how to write up the contract. Once you have a rough draft done, have some more experienced MTs take a look and get their input on what you missed. Put that stuff in (if you want to), then have a lawyer take a look at it and help you finish it. While it may cost you a little bit for that legal help, it could pay off big time later on.

If the other MT is unwilling to sign the agreement you write up, make him state his objections in writing so you two can work out solutions to the points of disagreement. Once a verbal agreement is reached, amend the contract accordingly and get his signature. Once you and he have both signed the agreement, you can start working there. Hold him to the agreement and expect him to do the same with you. While it may take a bit of getting used to, you will be very, very happy you have a signed contract if anything questionable arises.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Thu May 17, 2012 4:13 am

If you are renting a room, then you should have a lease agreement.

That way you can rent it "furnished" and/or including certain services (cc processing, utilities, etc.)

As an IC, you cannot be provided "tools or supplies" specific to the practice of your craft.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby rmt4u on Fri May 18, 2012 2:54 pm

what ever you do, dont give him the buisness plan! he could use all that hard work for him self, also you could tell him 50% up to 500$ then %100 to you?.
Also make sure that you have your own buisness cards made, and very importantly you have your own phone number that you can forward to his clinic, that way when you leave, on good or bad terms, all your clients will go with you!!
rmt4u
Registered Member

Return to Business Issues & Marketing Discussion