When to Call the Police

A discussion board for matters relating to appropriate business and practice ethics, matters regarding conduct of clients and practitioners as well as a place to discuss dilemmas that cross our paths.

Moderators: riversinger, jdcan

When to Call the Police

Postby Moskevyu on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi Everyone,

I work at a popular wellness clinic and I had a client perv-out on me during a session. He repeatedly 'adjusted' his genitals, tried to secretly masturbate, uttered a lewd comment and then tried to grab my inner thigh after I strongly warned him that behavior is unwelcome. I stepped out and management took care of it (banned client list/incident report), but I feel like I should've called the police. He brushed it off by telling someone that I'm just a fat b**** trying to get attention.

Where do you draw the line? No question the behavior was disgusting and inappropriate, but when would you simply end the session and write it off and when would you turn it over to police? I want to open my own studio one day and I want my space safe, clean and NON-SEXUAL to all visitors.

The thing that blows my mind is he was a long-time client. He was a member for three years before his session with me. How many other people has he acted that way with? How many other clinics is he sullying like this?
Moskevyu
Fresh Hands

Re: When to Call the Police

Postby kathryn on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:48 pm

Wow, so sorry you had to deal with that. Sometimes it takes having to go through it to know where your boundaries are. I would say the "secretly masturbate" is when I would tell him the session is over and go tell management. However, if the client grabs you, you could call the police and file a charge. You may want to call your local police station and find out what your rights are and how to best go about that sort of thing if it happens again. Just by calling the police and finding out how to proceed may help you garner your strength if it happens again. It may seem like overreacting to some people, but if the perp does it to you, he does it to others.
kathryn
Registered Member

Postby moose_goose on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:15 pm

I'd end the session when the unnecessary adjustments started happening and/or if they were verbally abusive.

If a client would try to grab me I'd call the police. I do have a couple clients who are with the police, so personally I would probably go to them first.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you :(
moose_goose
Registered Member

Postby Vita on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:24 pm

As a cop's wife, I have made the decision to call the police if I am ever grabbed or touched. In my state this is considered assault and I find that to be a very serious charge. That said, I will also call the police to make a report for behaviour that isn't necessarily illegal but disturbing.

For example, during a Lomi Lomi massage (done directly on the vinyl table without a bottom sheet) I discovered the client ejaculated on the table while I was out of the room, when I slid my hand down his back. Because he didn't expose himself or masturbate in front of me, there was nothing illegal or anything he could be prosecuted for. However, I was exposed to bodily fluids and it was disturbing because it was clear he did it on purpose knowing I would slide my hand right into it. The police had me do a control call with him where he admitted freely and without prompting that he had done this to other therapists. I was told that if they could prove a pattern of behaviour then perhaps there was something that could be done. Unfortunately, to this day, no other therapist has made a police report despite the fact I know he has made his rounds.

This type of behaviour often escalates and the perv can turn into something much worse. If more therapists would take the time to report these incidents we would have an easier time creating laws to put consequences in place and perhaps heading off more serious offenses in the future! Remember, if there is no report or paper work, it never happened as far as the law is concerned.
Each difficult moment has the potential to open my eyes and open my heart. --Myla Kabat-Zinn
Vita
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Wed May 09, 2012 8:37 am

Vita wrote:This type of behaviour often escalates and the perv can turn into something much worse. If more therapists would take the time to report these incidents we would have an easier time creating laws to put consequences in place and perhaps heading off more serious offenses in the future! Remember, if there is no report or paper work, it never happened as far as the law is concerned.

Great advice! Thanks for sharing, I will pass this along to my MT friends. I've always wondered why more bodywork practitioners don't call the police in situations like these.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Elliemare on Fri May 18, 2012 10:06 am

If this guy has been a regular client for 3 years, was this behavior tolerated by other therapists? I would want to know that. I would be curious to find out if some of your colleagues have rather loose boundaries.

Personally, if any client laid a hand on me, that's when I'd call the police.
Elliemare
Registered Member

Return to Business/Practice Ethics, Conduct Issues & Questionable Dilemmas