Client too big

A discussion board for matters relating to appropriate business and practice ethics, matters regarding conduct of clients and practitioners as well as a place to discuss dilemmas that cross our paths.

Moderators: riversinger, jdcan

Client too big

Postby martin on Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:04 am

Hello - anyone ever turn away a client that was too big? I did a chair massage gig a few weeks ago, and a I had someone so big that you couldn't even see the chair anymore, it just looked like they were floating....well over the chair's weight limit.

What is the best, nicest way to say "I don't think my chair/table can withstand that much weight?"
martin
Fresh Hands

Re: Client too big

Postby GreenDragonfly on Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:17 am

I worked on a woman recently who did not fit in the chair. What I did was improvise by having her sit in a regular chair and then rest forward, as much as was comfortable for her, onto a desk. We used some cushions for her to lean/rest on. This worked perfectly and she wasn't smashed into the chair and she was able to relax.

I was able to get to all the areas that needed tending in that session and she was VERY happy. This was also her first ever massage and I was glad that I didn't traumatize her or make her feel poorly about herself. I didn't say to her that she wouldn't fit in the massage chair, instead I said, let's see if we can make you more comfortable by sitting over here with some cushions. I think she was very relieved that I wasn't going to ask her to try and cram herself into the massage chair... :)
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!
GreenDragonfly

Postby Taoist on Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:01 am

I didn't say to her that she wouldn't fit in the massage chair, instead I said, let's see if we can make you more comfortable by sitting over here with some cushions. I think she was very relieved that I wasn't going to ask her to try and cram herself into the massage chair... :)

I think this was a great approach in considering both your client's feelings AND the safety of your equipment. She was probably hooked with that being her first massage, like most people are, so I think recommending a full-body massage on a table would probably work well since tables usually have higher weight limits.
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby GreenDragonfly on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:45 pm

Taoist wrote:I think this was a great approach in considering both your client's feelings AND the safety of your equipment. She was probably hooked with that being her first massage, like most people are, so I think recommending a full-body massage on a table would probably work well since tables usually have higher weight limits.

Well, I would have, but this was an outcall and it was at a women's shelter. We only had a limited amount of time with each person. Still, it was a great time and the ladies were very happy.
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!
GreenDragonfly

Return to Business/Practice Ethics, Conduct Issues & Questionable Dilemmas