Review me

An artistic area and computer technology section all rolled into one. Here to help bring you into the computer information age and provide inspiration for your website.

Moderators: Talenyn, stonegirl

Review me

Postby softy515 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:28 pm

Hello!

For reasons I rather not get into... don't want to get a rise in blood pressure.... I am having to possibly redo my website.

I do have ownership of my domain name. The original site is hosted on someone's server for now.

This new one that I am working on MIGHT have to go up in its place because I do not understand the program used for the original site and I got to change it NOW due to my move.

So can I get some feedback on this new one. It is online but not under my domain name.

http://web.mac.com/calmspiritbodywork/

Thanks! Much of the text is the same as my original one but there are changes. Some of the pages will be expanded on and I think those are somewhat obviously not complete.

I was working on this for hours yesterday and today, only to discover when I upgrade my IWeb to 08 I might have problems with it but that is a whole other post. LOL
softy515
Registered Member

Postby Ella Menneau on Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:28 pm

Your website is beautiful and elegant. I love how simple and clean everything looks.
Pain is a natural occurrence. Suffering is a choice.
Ella Menneau
Registered Member

Postby Timedess on Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:20 pm

I love your Tao Te Ching quote! I think both web sites look great. Good luck with the switch-over!
Timedess
Registered Member

Postby tribute on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:13 pm

It's a beautiful website and very clean. The only thing that stands out to me is the font. It is like reading a whisper. A darker color or slightly bigger size would make it feel normal or have a more solid impact.

Great job. I love the simplicity, the colors and the graphic!
tribute
Registered Member

Postby Shannon on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:35 pm

I love it simple yet elegant. The only thing I would change is the font size, i would make it a little larger that way its easier to read for most people.
Shannon
Registered Member

Postby cstbrian on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:04 am

I do agree it is simple and lovely. I also agree the font should be a little bigger.

Some other suggestions:

-Perhaps a pic on your 'About Me' page
-Directions on your 'Location' page or a link to your Google map page
-The word 'Services' in red on the services page and the heading for each page as you click on it (Asian Bodywork, Massage Therapy, Aromatherapy, etc) seem a little 'sharp' and out of place to me, given the other wonderful fonts you have chosen to use. Perhaps make these a 'softer' font?

Just some small suggestions but overall I like how the site feels.
Brian

"Life isn't about finding yourself ... life is about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
"When we try to control that which is out of our control, we become an incredibly anxiety prone society." Dr. John Upledger
cstbrian
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:29 am

Sounds like you are in a bit of a jam and wanting to get a new website up as quickly as possible? If so, iWeb is a good way to make a very good looking site in a short amount of time.

I would echo what others have said about increasing the font size. The site is also very text heavy right now, and could use some more photos.

For the future, you'll probably want to be thinking about how to make your site more accessible and usable. iWeb converts most text to images, which is a Bad Thing™ on several levels, including but not limited to:

- Search engines like Google cannot read your images, and thus cannot index your site or present it in their search results effectively.
- Images take up more bandwidth than text, making your site slower less efficient.
- Images cannot be read by assistive technologies like screen readers for the blind.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby softy515 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:08 am

Thanks for all the feedback!!!

Eco.... thanks for the tech stuff. I wasn't aware of how IWeb presented itself and now am a bit unsure if I want to use it.

I have a guy coming over to help me so possibly I can learn to work with this Joomla program. That is what the original site was built with. Is anyone familiar with it?
softy515
Registered Member

Postby Ding on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:47 pm

Josh,
Why is Bad Thing trademarked in your post?
- Heidi
Ding
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:41 am

I didn't have time to actually read through your site, but I really like the simplicity of it and the white space.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:52 pm

Joomla is a big mess. I can't recommend it. Look into http://modxcms.com/

You might also consider http://www.silverstripe.com/ or http://www.typolight.org/

Ding, I put the TM after Bad Thing as a joke... a play on Martha Stewart's It's a Good Thing ;-)
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby maestra on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:58 pm

EgoMagickian wrote:Ding, I put the TM after Bad Thing as a joke... a play on Martha Stewart's It's a Good Thing ;-)

That is exactly what I thought...
Good one Josh! ;)
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby softy515 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:38 am

After much research, I discovered that IWeb will only convert the text to image IF the text isn't a internet friendly font. (I am probably saying that all wrong). So I changed the font. :) Nothing fancy but easier to read for sure.

I had someone look into Joomla and like Eco, he didn't recommend it. So I am sticking to the site I just made.

Please see if the changes are ok. Mostly the changes were the font, I am still looking for some imagines. Perhaps a photo of me. Don't hold your breath on that one though. LOL

www.calmspiritbodywork.com

Thanks!
softy515
Registered Member

Postby Breathe on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:05 pm

Just had a chance to look at your site, I really like it, except...

Your calendar has your clients' names on it. And I can see the whole thing. Even though there are no last names, it still seems iffy to me. Is there anyway to set it up so that only your available calendar shows up, and not the filled spots?
Breathe
Registered Member

Postby softy515 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:09 pm

I knew it was like that but couldn't decide if it should be, if that makes any sense. Plus I didn't know how to change it on my ICal BUT actually it was easy to make sure those client spots didn't appear.

So know just what is available appears and when I am at the insurance company (GIG).

Thanks for making me rethink that!
softy515
Registered Member

Postby Breathe on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:45 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. You don't want potential clients to think you have nothing on your schedule, but having the names... Looks great though!
Breathe
Registered Member

Postby thebodyworker on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:40 pm

It looks nice but there are tons of things you can do to make sure it gets found by the search engines and also gets readers to make the call for the appointments so when you go to put it online with a real domain you might want to write more content.

http://thebodyworker.com/creating_a_web ... _works.htm

Julie
thebodyworker
Registered Member

Nice...but

Postby cande56755 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:26 pm

Too bad you didn't use a different colored flower for each page though
cande56755
Fresh Hands

Postby softy515 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:13 am

Sure would have. However, that site isn't being used. IWeb is nearly impossible to make changes to coding, ect. While the site was pretty, I literally got dropped from the search engines.

So back to square one. I got a site up via RapidWeaver but I hate it. Its got the info but its boring. However, it should come up in searches within the week.
softy515
Registered Member

Return to Website Ideas, Software & Technical Information