.PDF Files? Making them?

An artistic area and computer technology section all rolled into one. Here to help bring you into the computer information age and provide inspiration for your website.

Moderators: Talenyn, stonegirl

.PDF Files? Making them?

Postby pueppi on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:44 pm

Hi.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience making or putting .pdf files on your webpages in order to let clients print out their paperwork prior to their office visit.

I searched around some in this section for some info on how this is done and what is the cost to get set up to do this, but I didn't see anything.

I'd be thankful for any info.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby melb on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:58 pm

You can buy some expensive software that will convert files to PDFs (Adobe is the most feature packed) but there are LOTS of free PDF converters on the web, just search for something like 'free PDF converter' These are fine if you just want one or 2 pages for printing out easily. The heavy duty features you pay for are for all the fancy hyperlinking/bookmarks/presentation of pages/sizing/etc not needed for just a page or 2.
melb
Registered Member

Postby WaltFritz on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:59 pm

I've begun to use this product, easyPDF Printer Driver:
http://www.pdfonline.com/easypdf/index.htm It adds itself to your installed printers and converts documents to PDF. I've used it a few times and it works well and easy. $14.95...a bargain. I've not used it yet on my website, but I plan on doing so soon.
Walt Fritz, PT Pain Relief Center, Rochester, NY
http://www.myofascialresource.com
For therapists: MFRmail Newsletter (patient focused newsletter also available)
Foundations in Myofascial Release Seminars
Myofascial Release Mentoring Program
WaltFritz

Postby EgoMagickian on Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:39 am

If you use a Mac, you can create PDFs from any application by choosing File > Print, then when the print dialog comes up, clicking the PDF button and choosing Save as PDF.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby Todd Brown on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:22 pm

Here's a great free PDF converter: convert.neevia (dot com)

It's web-based and works in under a minute.

Enjoy,
Todd Brown
www.MassageBusinessUniversity.com - The Internet's #1 Business-Building Resource For Massage Therapists
Todd Brown
Fresh Hands

Postby Live Life Fully Again on Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:59 pm

just wanted to add this. I use a program called PrimoPDF. It's a free program that you download and install onto your computer. Once it's installed it actually comes up as one of your Printers. When you decide on what file you want to convert (whether it's a webpage, word document, email, etc.) instead of going to "save" the file, you select "print" then "PrimoPDF" as a printer. It will then open up a small window which asks what you want to name the file and what folder to place it in, then it automatically converts it to a PDF file. I've been using it for a while now and haven't had any problems with it. Here is the link: www.primopdf.com
Aimelie Ronquillo, CMT
www.aimelie.massagetherapy.com
Live Life Fully Again
Fresh Hands

open office

Postby thebodyworker on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:03 pm

I use openoffice.org . It is a free program that has a word processor and all you do is create your form and then click a button to export it into a pdf file.

Julie
thebodyworker
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:00 am

Additional question:

Has anyone who has used any of these .pdf converters, used them by scanning a page into your printer and then asking the program to convert the scanned page into a .pdf file? (I am actually looking to copy some personal items into .pdf at this time --- so it's a bit of a different question than the initial one).

And, THANKS for all the info so far!
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby softy515 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:34 am

were you able to get those forms on your website for download?
softy515
Registered Member

Postby shivashiva on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:25 am

Although I haven't done exactly what you're describing pueppi, I think it would be possible. These free .pdf converters take the "image" that is sent to the printer and convert that image to a PDF. So I have made pdfs out of word docs that are combinations of words and pictures. Only problem is that the pics are not are clear as they once were.

So, for instance, if you wanted to scan a form or personal document of some sort with your scanner, it would turn itself into a jpg. Then you could send that jpg to the pdf converter, and it would make it a pdf from the print image. But you would lose quality, or at least I have with the images I converted to pdf. I'm not sure why you need pdf, but if it were me I'd just keep the scanned items as jpgs. They'll be better quality for printing at a later date.

And I did place the PDFs I made on my website for download.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:38 pm

My printer/scanner allows me to scan to a file, I choose MS Word and then do the File>Print>Print to Adobe PDF. That's how I save an electronic copy of contracts and such.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby pueppi on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:05 pm

softy515 wrote:were you able to get those forms on your website for download?

Haven't worked on that yet. Had a number of items come up that just were more important. But, thanks for asking. :)
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:08 pm

Thanks to both of you for the additional info. I will be scanning 5 inches (paper inches thick) of docs to put on a CD. Very off topic, but just so you know, this means a great deal to me, that you were kind enough to take on that hijack of mine. :)

Keep up with more info on .pdf's everyone, I am learning new stuff every day and am sure it will eventually translate to my website as well. :)
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:15 pm

You're not scanning those docs page by page are you? Any good copy shop should be able to scan them automatically. Oh, and places that provide such services to law firms, as they deal with a lot of documents!
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby Dragonflies on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:13 am

EgoMagickian wrote:You're not scanning those docs page by page are you? Any good copy shop should be able to scan them automatically. Oh, and places that provide such services to law firms, as they deal with a lot of documents!

Good point Josh! I think it would be too much to scan at home too. :shock:
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby richgcs on Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:40 am

If you are looking to create a PDF document from material you already have here is a cool tool : Google "CutePDF". This tool works like a printer. Just preview and print the document just like you would print to a printer in this case select "CutePDF" printer and it will ask you the file name to which you want to save the PDF. I am using it and I am very happy with it.
richgcs
Fresh Hands

Return to Website Ideas, Software & Technical Information