liability insurance

Client related discussion, Q&A, how-to's, HCFA's, billing, reimbursement and more!

Moderator: Pete

liability insurance

Postby Sandyolmt on Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:14 pm

My liability insurance has just expired with the AMTA, but I do not want to go with them this time. What other options are there?
Sandyolmt
Registered Member

Postby sagetherapist on Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:00 pm

Look at www.massagemag.com. They have a good policy with Jones & Mitchell. If you just want insurance, but don't need an affiliation, etc, they are great.
Jill/Sagetherapist
sagetherapist
Registered Member

Postby Sandyolmt on Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:39 pm

Hi Jill, so nice to hear from you. I have actually gone with that company before the AMTA. I could not remember the name, and I think that's it. Thanks so much. Hope business and family are well Happy 2006!
Sandyolmt
Registered Member

Postby JMcColleyLMT on Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:23 pm

I have ABMP and like it so far, havn't had any problems yet, also haven't even had it for a year yet.
Get a lot of free stuff, massage mag, free e-mail, and free web site which i am still working with, they get back to you quick if you have any questions... and a free site to get your name out there if someone is looking for a MT.

Hope this helps... www.abmp.com

~Jennifer McColley LMT
JMcColleyLMT
Registered Member

Depends on if you need AIs

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:25 pm

Most of the discount policies charge $20+ for each Additional Insured.

If you work for several places, or change jobs often, it will be cheaper in the long run to go with ABMP
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

insurance

Postby Alabaster on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:04 pm

Hi there,
In the past, I had insurance through the AMTA. I really liked everything that came along with it and would love to go back however, I need coverage for my infrared sauna. The AMTA does not yet provide coverage for this. When I bought my infrared sauna I switched my liability insurance over to IMA Group, they charge $199. I was recently informed that they no longer cover stone massage, which I include in every massage. So now, I am looking for liability insurance which covers massage, infrared sauna, and hot stones. This has not been easy. The American Massage Council is saying they will have this in Feb. for an additional charge but I am unsure they will complete everything in time for me to be covered. I need to renew by Feb. 1st and really dislike signing up when they cannot gaurantee coverage. Their prices are good if you do not need infrared or stone coverage. It cost $149 to cover your business and property. ABMP sounds really good, but they do not cover the sauna as of yet. If anyone knows of any liability insurance that covers massage, infrared sauna, and hot stones, please let me know who they are! Thanks
Alabaster
Alabaster
Fresh Hands

Postby JLWmassage on Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:59 am

I just joined

Hands on Trade
JLWmassage

Re: liability insurance

Postby ALMT on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:25 am

Too late for your decision, but as of this writing, ABMP now covers hot stones and cupping. No mention of sauna...
Marlene (say "Mar-lay-nuh")
Frederick Massage Therapy in Maryland
Web: http://FrederickMassageTherapy.com/
FB: http://www.facebook.com/frederickmassage
ALMT
Registered Member

Location: Frederick, MD and West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle

Postby JasonE on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:43 pm

BackCountryMassage wrote:Too late for your decision, but as of this writing, ABMP now covers hot stones and cupping. No mention of sauna...

These are also covered by AMTA.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby tflores21 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:19 pm

IMA (International Massage Association) covers FIR sauna! I just called and verified.
tflores21
Fresh Hands

Postby JLWmassage on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:05 am

http://www.massageliabilityinsurancegroup.com/

This is a new one through Massage Mag.
JLWmassage

Postby Timedess on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:55 pm

I recently found out that ABMP offers a spouse discount of $70 off if both spouses are members. This came as a very nice surprise for us, as we both had to renew this year during a somewhat touchy financial circumstance! ABMP also covers equine massage, in case anyone ever wonders. Until the value of the horse gets "up into the millions", I've been told.
~Renee
Timedess
Registered Member

Postby Taoist on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:44 pm

Timedess wrote:I recently found out that ABMP offers a spouse discount of $70 off if both spouses are members. This came as a very nice surprise for us, as we both had to renew this year during a somewhat touchy financial circumstance! ABMP also covers equine massage, in case anyone ever wonders. Until the value of the horse gets "up into the millions", I've been told.

Does that still apply if one spouse is getting the student rate?
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby JasonE on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:22 pm

tflores21 wrote:IMA (International Massage Association) covers FIR sauna! I just called and verified.

IMA is going out of business. Do NOT try to get coverage with them. Details here: http://www.massagetoday.com/mpacms/mt/a ... p?id=14284

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby tflores21 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:33 am

Yes, IMA is out. Now I'm trying to find coverage for my far infrared sauna.
tflores21
Fresh Hands

Postby LMTyogini on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:58 am

I went with the Massage mag liability insurance because they also cover my yoga classes :) I also verified with that they do cover Ashiatsu Oriental Bar Therapy which is one of my primary modalities. It cost me $10 extra dollars per additional insured. By far the best option for me since I don't need an extra insurance to cover teaching yoga anymore.
LMTyogini
Registered Member

Postby Nordic1 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:10 pm

JLWmassage wrote:http://www.massageliabilityinsurancegroup.com/

Thanks for posting this link. My IMA liability insurance expires next month and I decided to get get a new policy with Massage Magazine Insurance Plus.
Nordic1
Registered Member

Postby JasonE on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:10 pm

tflores21 wrote:Yes, IMA is out. Now I'm trying to find coverage for my far infrared sauna.

Have you tried contacting the FIR sauna manufacturers/distributors about where you can find appropriate liability coverage? You could also contact your business liability insurance agent for guidance.

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby JLWmassage on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:17 pm

JLWmassage wrote:http://www.massageliabilityinsurancegroup.com/

I thought I would let you all know that Massage Magazine called me to that me for posting this link here. So I though it was really great for them to take the time to do that
JLWmassage

Postby Pete on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:49 pm

medic wrote:my lawyer advised me not to carry insurance.

Don't have much except house which can't be touched.

If have nothing, lawyers get nothing so don't take cases.

Know a few docs that are also going this way

Good luck with that - I'll keep my ABMP coverage current.
Pete
Retired Site Admin

Postby Pete on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:18 am

medic wrote:But again, lawyers take cases not to benefit the client, but to make money.

Isn't that the same reason why everyone works? (Unless of course you're independently wealthy...)
Pete
Retired Site Admin

Postby Timedess on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:50 am

Taoist wrote:
Timedess wrote:I recently found out that ABMP offers a spouse discount of $70 off if both spouses are members. This came as a very nice surprise for us, as we both had to renew this year during a somewhat touchy financial circumstance! ABMP also covers equine massage, in case anyone ever wonders. Until the value of the horse gets "up into the millions", I've been told.

Does that still apply if one spouse is getting the student rate?

So sorry! I missed this question...

No, I do not believe that discount applies if one spouse has only the student membership. I did not discover the spousal discount until after we were both out of school, so was not in that position. Sorry!
~Renee
Timedess
Registered Member

Postby JLWmassage on Fri May 27, 2011 10:30 am

http://www.alternativebalance.net

Here is another place I found today
JLWmassage

Postby JLWmassage on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:04 am

JLWmassage

Postby Lalo on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:38 am

So the one good thing I have gathered from all the posts so far is there are now more insurance options than ever. This however complicates things when shopping around. I work for a company called The Bodywork Insurance Program and we offer the most affordable, comprehensive policies to massage therapists and other bodyworkers. We are not affiliated with any associations, and for that reason, we can keep our costs a lot lower. We offer full coverage for professionals at $99 and for students at $67. If you compare us to other providers, you will recognize quickly that we have really high limits that you don't have to share them. Give us a call or visit our website for more information.

http://www.insurebodywork.com
Lalo
Fresh Hands

Return to Insurance