Equine Massage Schools

A special forum for those who provide massage/bodywork and related therapies to animals. Discussion, links, techniques, marketing, ability & agility issues.

Moderator: stonegirl

Sheba4kk
Fresh Hands

Equine Massage Schools

Post by Sheba4kk » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:15 am

I would very much like to attend one of these schools, but there are so many and i wonder of their qualifications, etc. I actually want to learn this inside and out so i can make a career out of it and some schools seem a little "fly by night." However, I live in Massachusetts and there doesn't seem to be a lot here (i'm not human certified, so no jack meagher). I'm thinking Equissage just b/c i can drive to it and it's mentioned everywhere, but their curriculum looks "iffy."
Also, i have a 19 year old cat who i do not want to leave alone for more than 5 or 6 days.

so, has anyone attended any of the following, have any advice, etc. - anything would be welcome!

Equissage
Bridge Creeek Ranch
Northwest School of Animal Massage
Rocky Mountain School of Animal Massage

or any others?
Thanks so much!!!!

Also has anyone heard of Equine Natural Movement Series (being offered in MA but at 3 times the cost of others)

Kim

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:35 pm

Hi Kim...sent you a pm. :)

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Re: Equine Massage Schools

Post by Sole_Purpose » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:37 pm

Sheba4kk wrote: Also has anyone heard of Equine Natural Movement Series (being offered in MA but at 3 times the cost of others)
I will be starting their professional training program this month. I'll report back with details!

NewHorizon
Fresh Hands

Post by NewHorizon » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:34 am

I too am having a hard time, especially up here in Canada, as it is not regulated- there seem to be quite a few folks who simply just give themselves a title.

BJB-LMP
Registered Member

Post by BJB-LMP » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:40 am

NewH - what province are you in? Just like w/human MT, the regulations may vary by province. Do you have a particular interest?
-Beccy

NewHorizon
Fresh Hands

Post by NewHorizon » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:55 am

^^Ontario- Equine Sports.

If you can point me to a non-self governing group (Ie- not affiliated with a school or individual) that would be great! We were told in school that pet massage therapists were not regulated , so I assumed this also also meant Equine.

In my own (exhaustive) online searches I cannot seem to find a group that is independent.

BJB-LMP
Registered Member

Post by BJB-LMP » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:16 am

I think you may be right about Ontario's regulations. So maybe the next step could be, to contact a program that looks interesting, and ask them directly about their own training, experiences, affiliations, etc.

Are you a "human" massage therapist looking to expand? Or are animals your sole focus?

Oh, I just thought of this -- maybe an organization to do with horses can recommend an equine therapist, and that therapist can tell you where they trained. Not an independent assessment exactly, but maybe you can get some reliable info that way . . .
-Beccy

Carolyn Lemoine
Fresh Hands

Equine Massage Schools, been There!

Post by Carolyn Lemoine » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:56 am

:) Hello Group!
I just returned from Florida and Anamial Dynamics Equine Sports Massage course plus a 2 weeks Acupressure Course!!
Can't say enough good about it!!
I was not disapointed although I was nervous about investing the time and $$. All fears were gone in the first 10 minutes of class!!!
They did and awesome job. Like anything the more you put into it the more you get out of it!
If any one has questions let me know!!
Carolyn in MA
Northwind Farm
Equine Sports Massage & Acupressure
MA.

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Re: Equine Massage Schools, been There!

Post by Sole_Purpose » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:21 pm

Carolyn Lemoine wrote::) Hello Group!
Hi, Carolyn...Welcome!! :)

Cathy
Fresh Hands

Equine Myofascial Release Seminar

Post by Cathy » Thu May 10, 2007 4:00 pm

For all those who are interested, I am teaching an Equine Myofascial Release Seminar.

My name is Cathy Covell. I'm a Physical Therapist and Massage Therapist who specialized in John F. Barnes Myofascial Release. I have worked at John's Paoli Myofascial Release Seminar for over two years, and have been blessed to be involved with horses my entire life!

I'm teaching a two day entry level seminar four times this year. The seminars will be:

Nashville, TN June 2-3rd
San Marcos TX July 21-22
Maple Plans, MN August 18-19
Wattsonville, CA Sept 22-23rd

The seminar will focus on treating horses using JFB MFR techniques. It's a truly amazing experience!

For more info you can check out my website www.motionforlife.net or e-mail me at [email protected]

Have a great day!

Cathy

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Sat May 12, 2007 6:21 am

Hi Cathy...my plate is currently full but I would love to know if and when you ever come to the New England area to teach.

Are you familiar with Tamara Rapier? And, if so, do you teach a similar seminar as her? I emailed her a week ago and as of yet have not received a response back (although I will resend again).

Thanks for posting! I will check out your website, as well.

Barbara
Fresh Hands

equine massage schools

Post by Barbara » Sat May 12, 2007 6:56 am

Hi Kindered Spirits,
I took Tamara Rapier's Equine MFR class just last week! It was so amazing and awesome (and I'm not a horse person! I guess I am now!)

MFR works! and the horses respond beautifully! Connecting w/
the horses for the three day class has changed me as a therapist :D

I would highly recommend Tamara's class (from personal experience) and I am sure Cathy will present the info beautifully, as well. Both
are very highly experienced therapists.

I hope you can experience Equine MFR soon!

Barbara Long, PTA/MT

Cathy
Fresh Hands

Equine Seminar

Post by Cathy » Sat May 12, 2007 2:06 pm

Hello Kindred Spirits- Nice picture!

My equine seminar is a two day seminar that focuses on performing John Barnes myofascial release on horses. I focus on what are called the "true" myofascial release techniques- transverse plane, cross hands, and elongation.

I do not have any New England seminars scheduled for this year, and am working on my schedule for 2008. If you have enough people interested, I could always add on a site.

Tamara Rapier has her scheduled posted on her website and Ruth Mitchell also teaches an equine course in Virginia. All of these seminars are excellent! Pick one that seems to feel right for you, and you won't be sorry!

Have a great day!

Cathy

Cathy Covell, PT MT
Motion For Life LLC
Equine Seminars

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Mon May 14, 2007 11:47 am

Hi...thanks to you both for your replies and the info!

I've been practicing equine & canine massage for approx 7 years now. The connective tissue stuff seems to be the next natural step for me.

I recently took a week long myofascial/connective tissue seminar with another practitioner in March. However, I am very interested in learning a variety of approaches to the work.

Ruth Mitchell
Fresh Hands

Post by Ruth Mitchell » Wed May 16, 2007 10:57 am

Hi to All!
This is Ruth Mitchell. Thank you, Cathy Covell, for mentioning the seminars I teach.

Just to clarify - I teach for Equinology, Inc., a California based school for equine bodywork (with a separate division call Caninology for canine bodywork). The school has been operating since 1995 and has established an excellent reputation worldwide. Equinology, Inc. courses (including MFR) are offered not only in Virginia, but in northern and southern California, east and west Canada, east and west Australia, New Zealand, England and South Africa. The instructors include people who are known worldwide in their respective professions. You can view the details of all the offered courses, dates, locations and instructor bios at www.equinology.com. And, good news for those of you who are human massage therapists and nationally certified - Equinology, Inc. is a Category A provider for Continuing Education!!

When comparing Equinology, Inc. prices to other schools, please understand this is an excellent example of getting what you pay for. Equinology, Inc. provides you superb personal attention at each course and requires you to complete an externship after each class in order to establish your abilities. You don't just get a "certificate of attendance" at the end. Once you have successfully completed your externship you are given a certificate of completion. Equinology, Inc. has trademarked the term "Equine Body Worker" and has been establishing the Gold Standard in the field of equine body work. Sorry to sound like an advertisement, but, prior to agreeing to teach for anyone I investigate them carefully. I have been approached by other schools and have spoken with "graduates" of other schools who have been extremely unhappy with their "education". I have been nothing but impressed with Equinology, Inc. since I first was approached by them.

As far as the MFR - I, too, am both a physical therapist and a massage therapist and have taken all courses offered by John Barnes (at least two times for each course). I assisted John, his sons Brian and Mark at over 130 seminars over a 16 year period. I taught the Equine MFR course for Mark Barnes for 2 years. I have been teaching Equine MFR for Equinology, Inc. ince 1999. I have written a book on the subject entitled Facilitated Healing Through Myofascial Release - Putting the Pieces Together for Horse & Rider. I, too teach TRUE Myofascial Release - not the "old" method so many people identify as MFR which is actually Soft Tissue Mobilization. The courses I teach are Equine MFR I, a 5 day extensive hands on course which includes craniosacral techniques. The Equine MFR II course is 3 days and includes many additional techniques as well as case studies based on cases presented by participants in the course.

Hope all this helps with the questions some of you had.
Ruth Mitchell-Golladay, PT, CMT, NCTMB
Equine Therapeutic Center, Inc.
(540) 721-4545
International Instructor
Author: Facilitated Healing Through Myofascial Release - Putting the Pieces Together for Horse & Rider

redcrowhorse
Fresh Hands

Western Montana School of Equine Massage

Post by redcrowhorse » Wed May 16, 2007 2:38 pm

:) Hello, I have recently completed a certification class at the Western Montana School of Equine Massage with Coreen Kelly and must say it was a wonderful experience and I feel I learned a lot. This 60 hour/6 day intensive class prepares you for a start in equine massage. It is understood that in one intense week you cannot be an expert equine massage practitioner, but I feel this class got me started in the right direction. In addition to getting a good understanding of the muscles and general anatomy of the horse, learning an entire whole body massage sequence and practicing good horsemanship skills as part of the curriculum, you also learn about energy, intention and intuition and how these factors fit into your work as an equine massage practitioner.

Do I feel I need to learn more? Yes, always. But I would not have wanted to get my start anywhere else. A sensitive, sensible, knowledgable and intuitive teacher and a holistic approach. I can only recommend. You can find more info here http://www.equinetouchmontana.com/ or on my website www.redcrowhorse.com.
"My horses are my friends, not my slaves." (Dr. Reiner Klimke, Olympic Dressage Winner)

NewHorizon
Fresh Hands

Post by NewHorizon » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:22 pm

BJB-LMP wrote:I think you may be right about Ontario's regulations. So maybe the next step could be, to contact a program that looks interesting, and ask them directly about their own training, experiences, affiliations, etc.

Are you a "human" massage therapist looking to expand? Or are animals your sole focus?

Oh, I just thought of this -- maybe an organization to do with horses can recommend an equine therapist, and that therapist can tell you where they trained. Not an independent assessment exactly, but maybe you can get some reliable info that way . . .
thanks for your help-I love reading your posts- you're a great mod!

I am currently a MT student, with a desire to get into pet/equine massage as well- my school has a final term in equine studies, which i hope to take.

As you suggest I am also working my 'horsey people' ;) connections as to who they like & what they expect from an Equine therapist..as well as researching current Equine massage therapists-seems all over the place...

..ah well I really must not put my cart before the horse :lol: and get the human liscense first!

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:14 am

:D HEY! ...so you went with Bancroft?! Awesome. You mentioned in another thread about taking small animal and are now onto equine! How's it all going?

Sheba4kk
Fresh Hands

Post by Sheba4kk » Thu May 01, 2008 7:20 am

great!

healing hands
Fresh Hands

Post by healing hands » Thu May 01, 2008 11:28 am

I am signed up to attend the new Equissage-NE-NY school in the beginning of June. Has anyone had any experience with the Equissage schools? I believe the New England/New York satellite school just opened the end of March 2008. I'll post my review once I've completed my training.

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Sun May 04, 2008 1:59 pm

healing hands wrote:Has anyone had any experience with the Equissage schools?
My experience with Equissage is very limited but what direct experience I do have is not great. :? I was hoping somebody with more experience would come along and chime in, and maybe they still will.

Sheba4kk
Fresh Hands

Post by Sheba4kk » Mon May 05, 2008 9:57 am

Hi,

As for Equissage, I personally decided not to go there based on their curriculum, hours and the fact that they are now "certifying" by videotape. My personal belief (and most likely future certifying boards) is that massage is a hands-on skill and not something you can certify someone in via videotape. For myself and most especially for my horse - I would not hire someone that was certified by videotape; and even though I would have chosen to go in person, I didn't feel good about someone searching my credentials and seeing that the school I went to certified by videotape.

So for me, I decided against going to Equissage because I knew if I were to be a consumer of equine massage, I'd be very careful about who I would be hiring. Just like anything in my life (and most especially in my horse's life) I do research and that includes my own doctors and vets - I check where they went to school, whether there has ever been a malpractice suit, etc.; and I knew if I had a choice in the matter, I would pick someone who went to a more detailed school. Just my opinion of course!

If you do decide to go there, I'd definitely be be interested in your experience.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!

HorsesLimited
Fresh Hands

Considering Equinology...

Post by HorsesLimited » Wed May 07, 2008 7:04 am

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and am considering attending equine massage school to transition to a new career in that field. I have been reviewing all the available schools across the country and am seriously considering Equinology. Besides the fact that they are geographically close (not an absolute requirement for me as I want to go to the best) their curriculum looks to be the most comprehensive. I like that they seem to be very stringent with their certifications.

Has anyone attended that school? (Thanks Ruth for your input!)

TIA. :)

EquineRehab
Fresh Hands

Post by EquineRehab » Sat May 10, 2008 6:55 am

Hi Everyone,
I am new here, and wanted to reply. I have a Equine Massage School in SE Indiana. I also teach Rehab Therapy and Energy Balancing in my classes. My school is pretty much a 'hands on' school-not much sitting in a classroom which you will do at many other schools. I feel that the only way to learn these modalities is to actually do them.
I have been a CESMT for 9yrs, have worked alongside one of the top chiro vets in the country for 11yrs. I have been doing healing touch on people and animals for 7yrs and put all of these to use on the animals I work on.
I have worked on EPM, sway back, arthritic and cold backed horses, and have found therapies that help them to recover from these injuries/diseases. No other School offers Rehab Therapy, which is extremely important in many cases. This class will also teach you "memory release' for those horses with a 'history'.
I have different classes you can chose to take...from a 3 Day Total Hands ON course (equine massage)to a 6 day class which includes Safety, proper riding skills and a more in depth muscle training for those who are new to horses. No other School offers this type of class! My 3 day class has more hands on time than all the 5 day courses! Go to my website and compare them-I have a comparison for you.
You will not find a more affordable School than mine-$100 per day (if you sign up 60days prior, after that it's only $25 more per day)
I am on the IAAMB as a School. So no, I am not a 'fly by night'. I have a business license in the STate of Indiana also.
The 3 Day Class is geared towards the equine owner who only wants to learn it for themselves. No business information or laws are taught in the class-because they are not necessary. I am very detailed in my class, teaching you the proper strokes to use (and making sure you're doing them correctly-which cannot be taught in a dvd)and where to use them, how to find spasms and knots-what they feel like and look like-and how to get rid of them! Let's face it-if you can't find them, you can't get rid of them...and that's my job!
Another part of the class is how to 'eyeball' a horse-looking at the horse as soon as the owner brings it out to see if we can see then what is wrong with it-many times, just the way it stands will tell you what you need to know. This I teach you to do.
Saddle fitting is also taught in the 6 day class, as I feel many times it is the saddle causing the problem.
Please contact me with any questions-I love to talk about horses!
Midwest Natural Healing for Animals
Instruction in Massage/Rehab/Energy Balancing
Affordable, Regional, Personal
http://www.equinemassage.homestead.com

Sheba4kk
Fresh Hands

Post by Sheba4kk » Mon May 12, 2008 6:00 am

Hi Tia,

I too looked into Equinology and agree they do appear to have a very comprehensive curriculum and seriously considered going there.

I actually ended up going to Bancroft School of Massage Therapy in Worcester, Massachusetts, for both my small animal and equine massage certification. Bancroft has been teaching human massage since 1950, so I knew I would be in "good hands" :-) I chose Bancroft based on their curriculum and comprehensiveness of their programs. The small animal massage certification program went for 7 months and the equine massage certification program went for 10 months.

Good luck and if you go to Equinology, let us know how it is!

Kim

Return to “Animal Therapies”