Northwest School of Animal Massage

A special forum for those who provide massage/bodywork and related therapies to animals. Discussion, links, techniques, marketing, ability & agility issues.

Moderator: stonegirl

livandtuna
Fresh Hands

Northwest School of Animal Massage

Post by livandtuna » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:46 am

Hello all!

I am a development professional in western Pennsylvania who has been contemplating a career change for nearly a year now. For the past 10 years, I have been event planning/fundraising for various non-profits (mainly focused on children) near Pittsburgh. I am good at what I do, but it is not where I want to be 10 years from now. In my spare time, I keep busy holding small fundraisers for the local animal shelters I support, fostering rabbits and taking day trips with my husband and two large dogs. I have just entered my 30's and the want for a career change has intensified.

My true passion is working with animals - particularly rescue animals (I have 3 rescued rabbits and 2 rescued dogs). While I would be taking a serious pay cut and more than likely lose a lot of the flexibility I enjoy in my current position, I recently applied for an office manager position at a local veterinary office and have been having serious conversations with my husband about pursing a certificate in canine (or small animal) massage. Like a previous poster, I am not located near any on-site animal massage programs and have been trying to research reputable programs with a home-study program. I am interested in learning more about Northwest School for Animal Massage, primarily because they offer an on-site 5-day practicum to complete the program. I'm wondering if any of you have experience with or have completed the home-study program at NWSAM (http://www.nwsam.com/).

I have seen some negative posts about home-study programs and I understand the disadvantages. I am a go-getter and someone who has a love and passion for the well-being of animals and would take advantage of every resource and opportunity to have the hands on experience if possible.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Northwest School of Animal Massage

Post by pueppi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi livandtuna,

I don't know anything about the school you are wanting to go to, but, maybe you can help me out here...
livandtuna wrote:Like a previous poster, I am not located near any on-site animal massage programs and have been trying to research reputable programs with a home-study program.

<snip>

I have seen some negative posts about home-study programs and I understand the disadvantages.
Could you possibly link to the previous poster and negative posts, so we can see what you are referencing?

I would also like to suggest that you not only use this forum for reference, but also as a way to give back. Since you have been taking time to find out about distance learning with animal massage, it would be very gracious of you to post the information you have found, here.

It is a great way to help others who go searching for something like this, as you have, in the future. :smt006

Here are a couple of threads that touch on home-study / online / distance learning: So, what online programs have you found for animal massage?

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Return to “Animal Therapies”