Need help with this horse.

A special forum for those who provide massage/bodywork and related therapies to animals. Discussion, links, techniques, marketing, ability & agility issues.

Moderator: stonegirl

Elliemare
Registered Member

Need help with this horse.

Post by Elliemare » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:55 am

Well, I guess this horse came into my life for a reason. He's quite a puzzle and I'm going to learn a lot from him especially if I'm able to help him.

He's a 17 year old OTTB gelding, he's huge, about 17.2 and he was raced about 43 times with a pitiful racing record. Like most big horses, he was just too slow. I know that he's been schooled to at least 3rd level dressage. He was found on an auction bound truck, and that's all I know about him. No lameness or signs of illness or injury.

He's thin, about a 4 on the body score scale. Won't gain weight with feed and supplements, 24/7 grass and hay. He needs to build muscle and a topline. He's extremely tight in the neck and shoulders, and all along his back. I think he is compensating for low back pain. His front feet are not directly under his shoulders, they are a bit back. I think his whole back may be in spasm which is why the muscle won't build as it should. He's got a "hunters bump" too.

I'm doing horsie yoga stretches with him, massage, tail pulls etc. trying to get him to loosen up in the front end to release the hind end. He's just so contracted! Is there anything else I can incorporate into his routine?

Does anyone know if those "Release" sprays from Dynamite actually work? Essential oils? Linaments, Homeopathics? Anything. This guy seems to be one issue after another and extremely sensitive to everything including rain rot, flies, heat... you name it. He's a hothouse flower and I think he may have a compromised immune system Vet says he's perfectly healthy other than the lack of topline and weight. I'm at my wits end. All suggestions welcome!

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Need help with this horse.

Post by pueppi » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:23 am

Elliemare wrote:He's thin, about a 4 on the body score scale. Won't gain weight with feed and supplements, 24/7 grass and hay. He needs to build muscle and a topline. He's extremely tight in the neck and shoulders, and all along his back. I think he is compensating for low back pain. His front feet are not directly under his shoulders, they are a bit back. I think his whole back may be in spasm which is why the muscle won't build as it should. He's got a "hunters bump" too.

I'm doing horsie yoga stretches with him, massage, tail pulls etc. trying to get him to loosen up in the front end to release the hind end. He's just so contracted! Is there anything else I can incorporate into his routine?

Does anyone know if those "Release" sprays from Dynamite actually work? Essential oils? Linaments, Homeopathics? Anything. This guy seems to be one issue after another and extremely sensitive to everything including rain rot, flies, heat... you name it. He's a hothouse flower and I think he may have a compromised immune system Vet says he's perfectly healthy other than the lack of topline and weight. I'm at my wits end. All suggestions welcome!
Hi... you may want to look into http://www.mushroommatrix.com/. Someone I know personally ( http://www.fromsourcetohorse.com/ ) gets great results with their products. As a matter of fact, if you want to contact her for a phone cosult and need my "real" name as a referral, just PM me. :)

This may be an easier link to see the Equine Mushroom Matrix formulas: http://shop.mushroommatrix.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=27
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Elliemare
Registered Member

Post by Elliemare » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:01 am

Thanks so much for the info! Actually a local equine practitioner was just out here this morning checking out my horse, did some bodywork and prescribed some supplements etc. But I'm always open to more information! This horse is a puzzle, but he is showing improvement, just very slow improvement.

JLWmassage

Post by JLWmassage » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Are you feed him beet pulp? Hay stretcher? Have you had him tested for EPM?

Elliemare
Registered Member

Post by Elliemare » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:11 pm

JLWmassage wrote:Are you feed him beet pulp? Hay stretcher? Have you had him tested for EPM?
Oh yeah, you name it, we've tried it. He's perfectly healthy according to all vets and alternative practitioners. Putting him on some Dynamite supplements and minerals. Also trying out Dynamite "release" spray for his tight back and shoulders. If it works for him I may use it on my human clients too!

He's actually making progress already, with the additional supplements I hope we'll start to see some dramatic improvement, but I think we're finally on the right track!

bossmare
Fresh Hands

Post by bossmare » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:08 am

sometimes the hunter's bump can be a sign of a sacrum that is not articulating correctly, have you tried an osteopath, or chiropractor? Also OTTB's have generally been given steroids and other drugs, the liver can be a huge problem with them.

Return to “Animal Therapies”