Animal Totems

A special forum for those who provide massage/bodywork and related therapies to animals. Discussion, links, techniques, marketing, ability & agility issues.

Moderator: stonegirl

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Animal Totems

Post by Sole_Purpose » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:08 am

Do you know what your animal totem(s) is/are?

Aside from the obvious - dogs and horses - the other animals that keep showing up for me in person, vision, or dreams are:
Bear (Black)
Black Panther (usually in relation to water in dreams)
Tiger (white, and Gold - hanging on giant tree limbs, or near trees, in dreams)
Lion/Lioness
Wolves (shows up every so often in dreams or visions)
Cow/Bull (I just love cows, I am a Taurus after all)
Raccoon
Pegasus (shows up every so often in dreams...and talks, lol)
Dragon (dreams and visions)
Bald Eagle (adult and juvenile, males and females)
Hawke (Red-Tailed mostly, males and females) (shows up when I need to pay attention, as well as when I'm traveling long distance)
Owl (Barred mostly, female)
Woodpecker (all sizes/varieties, females)
Black Bird (Crows, Grackles, Red-Winged)
Hummingbird (males mostly)
Great Blue Heron
Wren
Snake (usually orange in dreams)
Turtle (all; landbound or water)
Dragonflies

They usually show up when I have a personal or professional problem to tackle. It's kind of cool. Some animals will show up for a certain kind of problem each time, others will show up less often.

Two great books on animal symbolism are Animal-Speak and Animal-Wise by Ted Andrews. He lists hundreds of animals (domesticated and wild), as well as reptiles and insects, and their symbology. I found these books to be fairly comprehensive and very interesting. I refer to them all of the time, over and over.
Last edited by Sole_Purpose on Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:55 pm

A couple of sites to help discover your animal totem, and description of the animal's symbolism:

http://www.sayahda.com/cycle.htm (I refer to this one frequently)

http://www.animaltotem.com/find-your-totem.html (just found this one)

ib1gypsy
Fresh Hands

Post by ib1gypsy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:06 am

My biggie is a cougar. Too funny how well it fits. Other animals show now and then, but the cougar is always there, if only in the background watching.

My son has had an affinity for turtles since the time he was able to express himself even a little and within the last couple of years, bears have joined the turtles.

Maire
"I think of life itself now as a wonderful play that I've written for myself... and so my purpose is to have the utmost fun playing my
part." --Shirley MacLaine

SalemRose
Registered Member

Post by SalemRose » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:19 am

I have been dreaming about a white wolf lately, at least 3 times that I can remember. Usually attacks or chasses me but never really hurts me! Thanks for the links!

Steph!
~If wishes were fishes, we'd have some to fry!~

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:15 pm

It's so cool to know what your animal totem(s) is/are!! It is very comforting, too. Looking back, Bears have been with me since childhood (at that time Koalas). We had a young Black Bear mosey through our backyard not too long ago...just poka-doking along. It was awesome. My husband missed it, just for me and the dogs to see I guess.

Thanks for sharing...makes for very interesting and intriguing reading. :D I love it!
SalemRose wrote:Thanks for the links!

Steph!
You're welcome! Did you get any enlightenment into the White Wolf and your dreams?

SalemRose
Registered Member

Post by SalemRose » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:05 pm

MassageHound wrote:Did you get any enlightenment into the White Wolf and your dreams?
Well, from the reading on the net I've done so far Wolves are more the guide or teacher. So I wonder now, was the wolf attacking me or was it trying to get me to change my direction. And am I afraid of change and not the wolf??? So I'm "watching" my dreams for now! If I dream about something often enough then I know there's something more to it. And IMHO, 3rd time's a charm! So, I'll report back if I come up with something more!

Steph!
~If wishes were fishes, we'd have some to fry!~

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:25 pm

SalemRose wrote:Well, from the reading on the net I've done so far Wolves are more the guide or teacher.
Hi Steph...my thoughts are that the Wolf is your guide, and being White relates to Spirit, or your higher-self. It is trying to get your attention with the attack/chasing antics. Okay, looking forward to you reporting back with something more!

stonegirl

Post by stonegirl » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:10 pm

very cool topic! Giving it a bump ;)

I always have a snake with me... The first time I did a meditation to discover my animal totem, I was totally freaked out that I saw a snake and thought - "that can't be right!"
well, afterward I found out what snake symbolizes and it all made sense then, lol.
Lately, I've been having a pigeon coming to my window at my office. The same window sill everyday, sitting there and cooing. (I have 18 windows, so coming to the same window everyday is interesting!) I'm pretty sure I know why this pigeon is visiting, but I'm just not sure I'm ready yet, lol.

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:54 am

Hey, VERY cool about the snake!

On Tuesday, while walking the hairy-beasties, I saw two Eagles flying together and two Rabbits munching fairly close together. I was excited to say the least. I was having lunch that day with a friend I graduated from massage school with, who I had not seen in a loooooong time.

Kusala Bodyworks
Fresh Hands

Post by Kusala Bodyworks » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:49 am

SalemRose wrote:I have been dreaming about a white wolf lately, at least 3 times that I can remember. Usually attacks or chasses me but never really hurts me! Thanks for the links!

Steph!
maybe your white wolf is trying to get your attention!

talk to he/she, see what he/she has to teach you...

:?:

Return to “Animal Therapies”