Equine Aromatherapy?

A special forum for those who provide massage/bodywork and related therapies to animals. Discussion, links, techniques, marketing, ability & agility issues.

Moderator: stonegirl

Minxz
Fresh Hands

Equine Aromatherapy?

Post by Minxz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:44 pm

I was looking at different equine therapist sites and found one that said she did equine aromatherapy. It seemed like she did the normal aromatherapy in the stable. My question is that wouldn't that be counterproductive? Isn't aromatherapy based on our brains response to scent? Wouldn't that be completely different for a horse since their "wiring" is so different than ours. I am just curious and am the first to admit I have no training in aromatherapy.

Any thoughts?
[url]http://www.revivemassagetherapy.biz[/url]
[url]https://www.facebook.com/#!/ReviveMTherapy[/url]

silesianholistic
Fresh Hands

Re: Equine Aromatherapy?

Post by silesianholistic » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:22 am

Equine massage therapy is same like massage therapy for humans.This is the best way to massage horses muscles to give them relaxation.Helps increase circulation and improve muscle tone.

Dragonflies
Site Admin

Post by Dragonflies » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:08 pm

Don't horses have a limbic portion of their brain? And an olfactory bulb? That's all you need for inhalation aromatherapy. I have no training in the brain of a horse but I am trained in clinical aromatherapy - scent memory is only one small aspect of aromatherapy. The horse would not need to recognize a smell or even be able to detect it (same in humans with anosmia).

Equine aromatherapy. Sounds fun!
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull

Elliemare
Registered Member

Post by Elliemare » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:43 am

I've often wondered that myself. Not just in regard to horses, but what made me think of it is how some dogs respond so smells. I had one dog that hated to smell like anything "good". If you bathed him with a nice smelling shampoo, he'd run right out and roll in the horse manure! He hated smelling nice and would have most likely hated lavender oil if incorporated into a canine massage!

I have used lavender on my horses for relaxation. Don't know if it worked or not, they never mentioned it? I do have one horse that hates anything smelly, like citronella oil in the fly spray. He even hates the smell of tea tree or thyme oil in his rain rot remedies. This same horse is extremely tight right now and I would love to use some Young living "Release" oil on him, but I do fear that he will object to the smell.

Return to “Animal Therapies”