Profitable living as a animal massage therapist?

A special forum for those who provide massage/bodywork and related therapies to animals. Discussion, links, techniques, marketing, ability & agility issues.

Moderator: stonegirl

Wellness Wunderkind
Fresh Hands

Profitable living as a animal massage therapist?

Post by Wellness Wunderkind » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:29 pm

Hello all!

I was curious to know how many of you have a practice strictly for animals. Or do you work on animals part time? How do you find the best way to find your clients? Is it difficult? Is there a market for it? What is usually the fee range (hrs/$$) of what you charge?

Animal massage interests me quite alot. I start massage school in 9 days but whose counting? WOOHOO! ;)

THANK YOU......... :smt006

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Re: Profitable living as a animal massage therapist?

Post by Sole_Purpose » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:45 pm

I don't personally know any therapists that work exclusively on animals...most do work with human bodies, as well. I think if you can get in with a PT who works on animals, or get into a Vet clinic, it might be very possible to make a good living providing animal massage.

I believe there is a need, therefore a market. I gained a lot of experience and clients through volunteering at local rescues.

Is it difficult? I say yes because marketing myself is not my gift. It's one thing to be compassionate & excellent with animals, possessing natural communication (observation of body language) skills, as well as having the intuitive & technical knowledge and manual skill to back it all up...then you need to take all of that to the animal's owner because they are the ones paying for the treatment. Then, there's the whole lack of professional regulation and Vet law to consider. Of course, if it's your passion, you can make it happen.

Fees vary, but are comparable to human massage rates.

Good luck with school!

Rozax
Registered Member

Post by Rozax » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:14 am

I think you'd want to make sure that you don't need to tie yourself to any one clinic. If you're tied down, then you can only treat the patients of that particular clinic. I'm looking into this because I want to work with children, but I don't know how well I'd do with working on children, alone. First of all, parents need to see the benefits of it. Second, I don't know how massage clinics would feel about me working with competing clinics. Also, I don't want to do all my own accounting and such, so my options are limited. I'm hoping that working with a hospital will solve that, but will the hospital see the benefit of children's massage? I'm guessing you'd be running into similar issues.
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org

Wellness Wunderkind
Fresh Hands

Post by Wellness Wunderkind » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:38 pm

Thank you for your kind feedback. You are right. It does all come down to marketing and who you present yourself to. Working on animals will be a sideline from my human massage. Thanks again for the input!

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:03 am

Wellness Wunderkind wrote:Thank you for your kind feedback. You are right. It does all come down to marketing and who you present yourself to. Working on animals will be a sideline from my human massage. Thanks again for the input!
You bet! Please keep us posted! :D

Ankur
Fresh Hands

Post by Ankur » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:32 am

While I was in school, I would practice on my cat....now I work on both of our cats regularly. I have a client who I see weekly who has an older dog diagnosed with arthritis and asked me if massage would benefit her. I told her that the only experience I have had with animals is by working on my cats and that we could try it. Now I have both of them coming in for weekly sessions ;)
Next to our children, we spend a lot of money on our pets. There is definitely a need and I would say that you can market yourself to the various vet clinics in your area and see what happens :)

Wellness Wunderkind
Fresh Hands

Post by Wellness Wunderkind » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:43 pm

@Ankur: Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the encouragement!

dawnabene
Fresh Hands

Post by dawnabene » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Do you have to be licensed in the state of arizona to work on animals ? Ihave wanted to do animal massage for years I have 4 dogs,2 horses ,2 goats and a rabbit.

Return to “Animal Therapies”