Wondering about hip dysplasia

A special forum for those who provide massage/bodywork and related therapies to animals. Discussion, links, techniques, marketing, ability & agility issues.

Moderator: stonegirl

Taoist
Registered Member

Wondering about hip dysplasia

Post by Taoist » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:55 am

This is to everyone who practices animal massage (specifically canine).

I don't have much experience with animals as clients, but recently I decided to try massaging my sister's 90-lb lab. He limps around quite a bit due to severe hip dysplasia in his left hip. A few months ago, he tore his right ACL and even though both legs hurt I think it hurt him less to put his weight on the left side until his right knee healed, which I'm sure exacerbated his hip pain. He absolutely LOVES the massages and has started begging for them every time I visit :lol: and is even better than my human clients at telling me when the pressure is too much!

My question is on whether there is any specific technique someone can share with me in helping with HD? Any supplements that would help? Any tips at all? I feel so bad for the pup because he can't get as much exercise as he needs and it's so sad to watch him limp around when he's hurting.
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Timedess
Registered Member

Re: Wondering about hip dysplasia

Post by Timedess » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:15 pm

I've researched hip dysplasia in dogs a little, since we have a lab-type who also has this condition (self-diagnosed, er, owner-diagnosed, LOL!). It seems that this is usually considered a genetic condition, brought on my mis-growth of the hip socket. The "ball" and "socket" don't fit each other correctly, leading to the "ball" loosening or coming slightly out of the socket. Our dog receives much relief when Hubby or Son (who is technically her Owner) massage her hip, but it isn't "fixable". Much to my sadness.
~Renee

LadyNiko
Registered Member
Location: Somewhere on Planet Earth in an apartment ruled by 2 cats

Post by LadyNiko » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:05 pm

Yeah, you can relieve the symptoms of hip displaysia, but to fix it, usually requires really expensive surgery. It's a problem that's not un-common in labs due to years of careless breeding.
The little white men in the little white coats are coming to take me away! he he ho ho ha ha!

Taoist
Registered Member

Post by Taoist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:12 pm

LadyNiko wrote:Yeah, you can relieve the symptoms of hip displaysia, but to fix it, usually requires really expensive surgery. It's a problem that's not un-common in labs due to years of careless breeding.
Wasn't looking to fix. I know it's usually just treated and expensive to cure with a low success rate. All I'm looking for is actual massage techniques that benefit the condition :)
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:32 am

My German-born, German Shepherd has severe/advanced hip dysplasia along with arthritis, diagnosed at 18 mo during her spay surgery. The Vet was amazed at how well my girl is doing with hips that look like hers under an x-ray. This is because I work on her with massage, gentle stretching, and Reiki. She does not know that she has bad hips, she is a beast....she runs like a crazy dog and leaps feet into the air for the frisbee. During the winter it can get tough for her to traverse the ice during potty, but she is 4 now and it's rare to see her in pain. She gets regular exercise, too.

Massage techniques that I use concentrate on bringing nutrients to the joint, as well as muscle lengthening with effleurage (from full hand to thumb or fingers). The whole body needs to be worked because as you already know the whole body compensates for an injury...and when the gait is unbalanced, etc. I spend time working the shoulders, spine, pelvic girdle area and legs.

I have gone the gambit with supplements. Mainly, I use organic herbal supplements now (grown and blended by local herbalists if possible) that plump up and nutrify the soft tissues, as well as contain anti-inflammatory properties and pain management (if she shows pain behaviors). I also give her 1200 mg of fish oil per day. On occasion, I'll give her glucosamine and chondroitin if I can find one without a ton of additives or MSM (which she seems sensitive to). I have also used Dasuquin joint supplement with success which was recommended by the Vet.

Diet is really important, as well. I do a combination of home-cooked, The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw, and premium kibble (human-grade ingredients).

Hope some of this is helpful!

Return to “Animal Therapies”