Animal Massage Law

A special forum for those who provide massage/bodywork and related therapies to animals. Discussion, links, techniques, marketing, ability & agility issues.

Moderator: stonegirl

JLWmassage

Animal Massage Law

Post by JLWmassage » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:57 am

http://www.handsontrade.com/resources_animmasslaw.html

I found a link that goes state by state for animal massage law

Timedess
Registered Member

Post by Timedess » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:03 am

I found this list (or one similar to it- veerrrrryyyyyyy similar) on a site for an animal bodywork association (sorry, I can't remember offhand what it was called), 3.5 years ago when my hubby had just finished equine massage school.

That was how we found out that he couldn't legally practice in our home state (Arkansas). What a shock- we should have done our homework prior to his going to the school. We have since moved to Texas.

I do encourage anyone who is considering pursuing animal massage (which is WONDERFUL) to check into the laws in their state FIRST. I also encourage them to actually get in touch with the governing board of the state they desire to practice in, because sometimes laws will change and the list-keepers haven't updated the list for whatever reason.

Thanks for posting the list!
~Renee

JLWmassage

Post by JLWmassage » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:50 am

Which brings me to my next point. How can you take a animal massage program if you can't practice. After looking at this list I learned that in the state of Ma., which is where I live, massage for animals is so post to be done by a vet. And yet the Bancroft School of Massage has a small and large animal massage program. How is it far that people pay good money to take this course only to find out you can't practice.

Timedess
Registered Member

Post by Timedess » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:12 pm

That's a good question to ask the school's director, IMO.
~Renee

Pearly
Fresh Hands

Post by Pearly » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:49 am

Thanks for that list pretty interesting!

LilysMom
Fresh Hands

Re:

Post by LilysMom » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:43 pm

JLWmassage wrote:Which brings me to my next point. How can you take a animal massage program if you can't practice. After looking at this list I learned that in the state of Ma., which is where I live, massage for animals is so post to be done by a vet. And yet the Bancroft School of Massage has a small and large animal massage program. How is it far that people pay good money to take this course only to find out you can't practice.
The schools provide the animal massage training in states where it's illegal to massage animals... because... follow the money...
Same for the human massage therapist associations (e.g. ABMP) that "credential" animal massage therapists in states where it's illegal to practice animal massage therapy... because... follow the money...

Return to “Animal Therapies”