Canine hydrotherapy

A special forum for those who provide massage/bodywork and related therapies to animals. Discussion, links, techniques, marketing, ability & agility issues.

Moderator: stonegirl

blissfulbalance
Registered Member

Canine hydrotherapy

Post by blissfulbalance » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:50 pm

Does anyone do any rehab work using warm water pools for dogs? I am interested in finding out more about this and whether it is something vets support. There is a school in WA state that teaches this and I was wondering if anyone knows about it and about combining this with doggy massage.

Thanks!
Denise

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:26 am

Here is a non-profit canine hydrotherapy organization out of Winter Park, Florida. I met these folks, they are doing great work. At the time, they were not a non-profit. They were using canine massage in the pool, not sure what protocol they are using now. It's a good place to start some research though.

Hip Dog Therapy

blissfulbalance
Registered Member

Post by blissfulbalance » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:56 pm

Thanks Kindred Spirits, I will do more research. I was surprised that the instructor of the program that I had inquired to never got back to me after she told me she would re-contact me when she got back from her vacation. That kind of left me with a less positive feeling about her school.

Oh well, maybe she doesn't need any more students. :roll:
Denise

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:30 pm

I hear ya - that wouldn't have given me a warm & fuzzy either!

You're welcome! Hope you find lots of good info at Hip Dog.

peace4all
Registered Member

Post by peace4all » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:28 pm

Blissfulbalance,
Sorry I'm late in responding. I know of a woman in Los Angeles that has a canine massage and rehab business. Part of the rehab is water therapy.
Here is the website:http://www.twohandsfourpaws.com/TwoHand ... _____.html

I stumbled upon her website by accident. One evening I was thinking back to the house I lived in when I was a kid. It was the happiest time of my life. On a whim I decided to google the address of this house. This Two Hands Four Paws came up. Well, being an animal lover/rescuer and a massage therapist, I was curious. So it turns out my childhood home has become home/business for a canine massage therapist that specializes in rehab. Her story is really interesting. Good luck to you!
Do something wonderful, people may imitate it.

~Albert Schweitzer

Savannah Bloom
Registered Member

Re: Canine hydrotherapy

Post by Savannah Bloom » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:59 pm

There's a Veterinarian here in Portland Oregon:
Back On Track Vet Rehabilitation LLC
Contact Info: Address:9045 SW Barbur Blvd. City:Portland Phone: 503-546-8995 I couldn't find a website, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.............

A friend of mine works there as a Vet Tech, and I know they do water therapy. I believe they have an underwater treadmill among other things. Haven't seen any of it, but am always fascinated at the various therapies my friend does with dogs.

Peace4all.........that's such a delightful story about your childhood home!

savannah
"Saved by the dog. Really!"

blissfulbalance
Registered Member

Post by blissfulbalance » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:29 pm

Thanks for all of your replies! Peace4all that sounds so great that your childhood home has transformed into a place to help animals heal.

Minnesota is kind of sticky about who can work on animals beyond vets, vet techs, etc., so I am kind of scared to spend money learning this only to be prohibited from doing it. I will investigate the sources you have recommended.

Thanks!
Denise

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:35 am

Denise - is there a canine rehab practitioner or facility in Minnesota that you can brain pick?

Return to “Animal Therapies”